Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #1 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Question Best filter for 10 gal. betta tank?

Hey everybody!

I have been looking around lately for a better filter, although mine still is awesome!

here is what i have had for, gosh, years!
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752295

I really want to make my tank more advanced, with a filter with even better properties. I am thinking about changing my old filter out when my tank is still running, so I am concerned about my cycle surviving. The tank has been set up with my betta for like 1 1/2-2 years, but i have used the filter for about 4 years. I have gravel, a few silk plants, a heater and thermometer. The filter is a Top Fin HOB.

Here is what i have been thinking about:

-Marina Slim filter
-Aqua-Clear filter

I personally like HOBs, but if you recommend an internal filter, or under gravel filter, i would love to look into it!

Throughout being in this hobby, all i have had are HOB filters, so if you recommend another type of filter, i would appreciate it if you could educate me about it lol :) ALSO< I WILL BE DIVIDING MY TANK ONE DAY< SO A FILTER I COULD PUT IN BETWEEN THE DIVIDERS WOULD BE GREAT!\
Thanks again!

MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #2 
megaredize

aquarclear 20 will work great and you can control the flow
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:55 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

The Aquaclear filters are excellent filters, but I think it's probably a bit much for what you have. I no longer use HOB filters in my betta tanks. I've gone to sponge filters and have them in my divided betta tanks. I also use the double-divided method; sponge filters are a perfect size to fit between the dividers. Sponge filters are also very gentle on betta fins. I have a rosetail who has never bitten his tail.

Sponge filters work by forcing air through a sponge. This sponge is the surface area for the BB. As the air is forced through the sponge, it draws water from below the sponge and pushes it to the top. This collects debris in the sponge and below it. A simple vacuum below the sponge weekly is more than enough to keep the tank clean. It's not a very strong current, but it's enough to maintain good heat distribution.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:58 PM   #4 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Sponge filter it is! Thanks everybody!

BTW, i know NOTHING about air pumps and airline tubing/valves, so you guys made need to explain it to me :)
Old 08-12-2012, 12:04 AM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

I have a sponge filter! It's this one: http://www.amazon.com/Jardin-Aquariu...=sponge+filter
You just connect the tubing into the cylinder thingy and on the air pump and it's done! :P I have an airline valve but since yours is a 10 gallon, I don't think you need it. I have it in a 3.5 BTW.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:07 AM   #6 
thekoimaiden

Ya. Those things come with pretty good instructions. Just follow those, and you'll be fine. My sponge filters are home-made, so I really couldn't help you on the construction of the commercial ones.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:24 AM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
I am thinking about changing my old filter out when my tank is still running, so I am concerned about my cycle surviving.
It'll take over a week to colonize your new filter. Just run it along with your old one. It'll cycle automatically.

After a week, to avoid a minicycle, run your old filter every other day for a while, then every third day.... .

I agree about sponge filters if you don't mind the pump noise.

Last edited by Hallyx; 08-12-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #8 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Thanks so much! Anyone know the best air pump to buy? What types of valves do i need?
Old 08-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #9 
Relic

I really like my Aquaclear filters. When I switched filters I just took the sponge from my old filter and stuffed it in the media basket..worked fine and didn't have to worry about the tank re-cycling. I have never had a sponge filter but I have thought about making one. I also really like this filter...http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753028
It does a really good job and the flow doesn't effect my daughter's betta at all.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #10 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Ack! So hard to choose! BOTH filters would be perfect in-between 2 dividers in my 10 gal!

does the internal filter have actual media? I have never had anything but an HOB...

I also REALLY like this one:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A12IPMVN62L4AI

Tags
best filter