Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #11 
Relic

The internal filter has a media bag thingy and a micro sponge. It's big enough though that you can make your own little filter bags and put whatever media you want in it..you don't have to use the ones from the store.
I like that sponger filter! It's cheaper than what I can make one fore too! I already have a couple un-used air pumps.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #12 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

For a double divided tank, a sponge filter is going to be better. Aquaclears are rather large compared to a sponge filter. You'll be able to have more room for your boys with a sponge filter.

Aquaclears do have a lot of media you can put inside them. On my goldfish tank in one filter I have two sponges (I cut the sponge it comes with in half to give me more room), two bags of bio-balls, and a bag of crushed coral to raise my GH and KH. The other filter has everything but the crushed coral. I've even got a bag of charcoal (not currently in the filter) in case something goes wrong. They can stand up the the wasteload of goldfish and koi; they are great filters. But I think they are a little too powerful for a basic betta setup. A sponge filter will also be much cheaper.

Really any air pump will do. I have a single Tetra Whisper 20 pump powering sponge filters in my two 10 gal tanks. As for airline tubing, I just bought the basic clear stuff at Petsmart. I use it in all of my tanks and have never had a problem. The pump will come with a bleeding apparatus so you can control the flow of air.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #13 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Thanks so much everybody! I think my divided is going to be a big success !
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #14 
rosy delta

can you tell me how you made yours? my aquaclear filter just died and i would like to replace it with a sponge, and put them in several other tanks. i did buy the jardin sponge recommended in this thread, but the cylinder is way larger than my tubing! have to try to find a decreasing attachment somewhere
rosy delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #15 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

I built mine using this tutorial from Youtube:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXDzgM9x3tc]HOW TO: Build a very simple aquarium filter - YouTube[/ame]

The most difficult part was drilling the holes for the tube. It took a few tries to get it right.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #16 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I admire anyone who can make their own sponge filters. But they are so cheap, they're not worth my time to make. The pumps, tubing and controllers cost much more.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best filter