betta fish

Old 08-12-2012, 12:11 AM   #11 
kyasarin5

That looks like fungus to me.
kyasarin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #12 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Aren't the fungal infections supposed to be in patches? Or is that a bacterial one? :/ Today 07:58 PM
Er....Not sure - columnaris is usually in patches over the back but I dont think fungus is. Slugggles had a fungus a few weeks ago but his looked like a white ball hanging off of his...pectoral fin (the fins that dangle down by his head). two days of Quick Cure and it was gone.

This is off another betta site:
Pseudomonas
Scientific name: Pseudomonas species
Common names: Fin rot

This is also a gram-negative rod bacterium. It is often the cause of fin rot not caused by ammonia burns, but can be secondary to them in a dirty tank. The fins appear bloody and rotting away from the ends. The secondary infection, saprolegnia (a true fungus) often occurs at untreated fin edges and is often confused with columnaris.

Treatment: 1% salt solution to start. If this doesn’t take care of the problem, most gram-negative antibiotics will work. Erythromycin for 10 days along with clean water should eradicate the problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saprolegnia
Scientific name: Saprolegnia species
Common names: true fungus, cotton mold

Saprolegnia is what we call a true fungus, although it falls outside of the Fungi kingdom. It is generally a secondary infection due to an injury, parasites, viral or bacterial infections or other skin issues in your fish. This fungus takes advantage of already injured fish (or fish eggs) and infests the wounds and dead tissue. It occurs more often in fish kept at low temperatures.

This too looks like puffy cotton, but generally does not occur in a saddle-like pattern. It is more likely to affect small areas of the fish’s body or fins. It tends to have more of a hair-like appearance than columnaris. (If you’ve ever left a bit of food in the tank uneaten, the fuzzies that grown on it are most likely saprolegnia)

Treatment: Generally once the underlying condition (usually pseudomonas if on the fins) is treated, the sapro infection will go away on its own. If it does persist, effective treatment would be with a formalin-malachite green solution (like QuickCure). Some sources state that acraflavin, malachite green singly, and Tri-Sulfa can also be used.

Sapro infection on the ray of a CT
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_9YGlWNIl-as/Su...0/DSCN4530.JPG
Pic thanks to Anielynn

Severe sapro infection
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60...profuzzies.jpg
Pic thanks to pandabear

Edit 2 - after looking at the above pics - Lebron, I do think its a fungus...

Last edited by Tikibirds; 08-12-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:24 AM   #13 
LebronTheBetta

That CT pic kinda looked like a piece of slime coat. But when they shed it, it's following all the rays making the Betta look like a ghost. 8I It also makes the tank look cloudy. The 2nd one looks completely different. It's severe so... :(
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:34 AM   #14 
kyasarin5

I think they are usually in patches. But the way it is growing it really looks like a fungus.
kyasarin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #15 
123 bettas

Unhappy

I am a miserable wretch of a human being, I was so worried about Zebra that I was careless with one of the other fish. I successfully changed Bluefish's water this morning (Bluefish is my red betta) but I am pretty sure I killed Redfish (the blue betta) because I got overconfident. I'm leaving him alone hoping he is just in shock but I fear the worst! I feel sooo bad! When I woke up this morning, Redfish had built a lovely bubble nest and seemed happy. I didn't want to change his water but I thought I should and I made some kind of horrible mistake. I am so nervous about water changes! Can anyone recommend a good video I could watch that shows how to do a 100 percent water change? Zebra fish seems to be hanging in there. I gave him a pellet of food and he lunged for it, but then he spat it out. Maybe he is having trouble swallowing?
123 bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #16 
123 bettas

Update on possible fungus

Zebrafish is the same as yesterday. RIP Redfish, I made a sad mistake with water temperature. I am going to get antifungal medicine for Zebrafish, and I am going to be a whole lot more careful and focused going forward.

I bought a thermometer for each fishtank. Also, I saw at the pet store that my tanks are somewhat larger than I thought--closer to 2.5 gallon size.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #17 
Tikibirds

Awwwh, sorry to hear about redfish. :(

When I do 100% water changes:

1) Cup the fish. I use their petstore cups but any cup or mug will do. cover it so they can't jump out
2) remove decor
3) empty all the water
4) add a little water back in - enough to cover the gravel.
5) stick hand in gravel and move it around - to get out debris/poop
6) empty water
7) repeate #5 and 6
8) add back decor
9) fill tank
10) add conditioner
11) put cup into tank
12) add in a little fresh water into cup
13) wait 15-20 minutes, add more water into cup
14) wait 15 more minutes
15) release fish

I refill it with lukewarm water and if you check what temp it is before you dump out the water, try and refill using a temp that is very similar. Not cold or hot but luke warm seems to be a good place to be

if it IS a fungus - Quick Cure works wonders. The company that made it was bough out by Mardel so the packaging may not look the same anymore. You should be able to find it at Walmart if they have a fish section...

OR

I have never used this one:

If you have access to petsmart or a local shop that sells fish medications, it may be a good idea to pick up an antibacterial med, just in case. Some bacterial infections like columnaris can kill in just a few hours so having something like API's Furan 2 is a good idea.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #18 
123 bettas

Thank you Tikibirds! I will follow that procedure.

The tanks are holding at 76 and 78 degrees without a heater.

Zebrafish is responding to 1/2 tsp. of aquarium salt a day. Last night I didn't notice any fungus (or whatever it is), and this evening just a tiny bit of it. He is eating the little bit of food I offer him. He is starting to swim up to me again (sometimes). I am hopeful but still really nervous!

Last edited by 123 bettas; 08-14-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: I forgot to mention something.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #19 
teeneythebetta

I am so sorry for your loss.
I hope the betta gets well soon :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:53 AM   #20 
jriley

It looks like saprolegnia to me, but I'm not any more sure than any of the others.

However--May I make a (potentially) very valuable suggestion? There is a wonderful person, Oldfishlady, who pretty much knows all when it comes to Bettas. You should send her a message--I'll bet she can get you all set up, very quickly (your photo will be very helpful, too!).

Good luck to you!
jriley is offline   Reply With Quote