Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #1 
Lost Eventide

Atlantis has been found: Socrates

Welp, didn't take me long to get an official picture thread started for my new boy. Everyone meet Socrates! Originally I went to pick out a black orchid male, but my mom picked this guy up and ultimately my heart melted and I brought him home.

I'm pretty sure he's a marbled dragonscale veiltail, but his fins are a bit torn so it's a bit hard to tell. He was just labeled as a dragonscale.

For anyone that's wondering, name origin: Socrates was the mentor to the philosopher Plato, who originally wrote the tale of Atlantis in his dialogues Timaeus and Critias. Socrates was also a character in these dialogues.

Couldn't name him Plato because that's my clown pleco xD

He's from Segrest Farms, and the date on his cup reads 4/21/2012. Not sure if that's his birth date or what, seeing I'm hoping he hasn't been in the shop for that long.

Also, soon after I released him he discovered the little bits of floating Hornwort and he decided he was going to try and eat them xD
Attached Images

Lost Eventide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #2 
Laki

OOh gorgeous!! I love him! Sooo jelly.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #3 
teeneythebetta

Aww he is a cute little guy! So lucky to have a good home!

I sure hope he wasn't in the store that long as well
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #4 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
I heard that Segrest Farms is the place that supplies many pet stores with bettas. So is it in PA where you are, and you can just go there and look around? Was there a lot of selection? What is it like? (I'm an ex-east coaster who lived in NJ but close to the PA border & I'm just curious for when I go back to visit)

BTW he is really cute, I really like the veiltails that are a little different.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #5 
Lost Eventide

Unfortunately I don't think Segrest is in PA. Under the contact info it says it's in Gibsonton, FL, it's just they listed the provider on his cup xD I bought him at my local Pet Supplies Plus (which, their cups were in excellent condition, so I'm pleased). Sorry if it sounded like I actually went there! I'd love to though if people are even allowed to just walk around.

They have a lot of selection on their website though. My dad bought stingrays through them in the past through Pet Supplies Plus, and there are some fish I've never even heard of before.

And yeah, it was really nice to see a veiltail that wasn't just fully red or blue <3
Old 07-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #6 
laoshun

what a nice find!
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #7 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Eventide View Post
Unfortunately I don't think Segrest is in PA. Under the contact info it says it's in Gibsonton, FL, it's just they listed the provider on his cup xD I bought him at my local Pet Supplies Plus (which, their cups were in excellent condition, so I'm pleased). Sorry if it sounded like I actually went there! I'd love to though if people are even allowed to just walk around.

They have a lot of selection on their website though. My dad bought stingrays through them in the past through Pet Supplies Plus, and there are some fish I've never even heard of before.

And yeah, it was really nice to see a veiltail that wasn't just fully red or blue <3
Oh, too bad. Yeah, it would be fun to look through a ton of bettas! He is very cool looking.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #8 
CandiceMM

In love! What a cutie pie omg!! I love Dragons and his marble coloring is perfect! Great find mom! lol
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #9 
Lost Eventide

Thanks!

Lol, I'm really interested to see what his colouring ends up being though. I was browsing through info on the marble colouration and apparently they can change colour throughout their lives? Wasn't expecting that at all! I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of colours he shows.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #10 
teeneythebetta

Yes! Also his coloring may change a bit because of his environment... They usually darken a little bit once they have a heated tank.

I look forward to seeing pictures of him if he changes! :D
Posted via Mobile Device
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote