Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #1 
Alcemistnv

Parents don't understand

My parents don't understand how much I love my fish.

I noticed that Buddha was full from his food today, so I made him flare to help poop by using a spoon.

And my dad goes, "Oh, you're spooning with your fish?"

And when I told him why I was doing it, he goes "Oh my god, are you serious. It's not a baby."

And when he mentioned how the dogs were acting funny (they need to go out), he goes, "It's because she doesn't spoon with them anymore."

23 days til I go back to college where no one judges me for loving ym fish like a normal pet.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:29 AM   #2 
jeremywadejunior

Awh! I know how you feel.. my parents know that I really love my fish but I always get "it's just a fish!" We just love animals a lot I guess... :)
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:35 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

I moved back home after 12 years and I always get the "They are JUST fish" thing from my mother and sister.
"why do you have to change the water. You Just changed it?"..Yeah mother..a week ago....
"Why can't you put them in .5 gallon bowls? you sister kept 5 goldfish in a 10 gallon and they lived a happy long life..why do keep a small thing in a big tank?" Uh, her fish DIED after like 2 years becasue she NEVER CHANGED THE WATER. How would you like to live in the bathroom and have cigarette smoke building up in there till someone decided to air out the place?"

Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:02 AM   #4 
Catfish Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywadejunior View Post
Awh! I know how you feel.. my parents know that I really love my fish but I always get "it's just a fish!" We just love animals a lot I guess... :)
I also get the "it's just a fish!" phrase a lot from my parents. They think I do too many water changes, my mum says "they don't want to be fussed!"
Catfish Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #5 
magnum

The 'It's just a fish!' annoys me to the max. Next time they say it, I think I'll say, 'your just a person'. :L
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #6 
katrina89

its understandable... I wouldn't get too mad at my parents for it.. if u think about it... these fish are lucky they aren't on a plate or a delicacy... my dad always said that a happy fish is a fish that isnt on someone's plate. My husband thinks I'm nutty about the fish but every now and then I see him staring at them... taunting them with his finger lol... but fish are completely diff from cats and dogs... its a diff type of enjoyment I think... My dog/cat are my children.. my fish are my friends :)
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #7 
LittleWatty

I've got the same kind of thing with a "friend" of mine. She doesn't think of fish as pets. Yeah, sure, I can't cuddle it like I might be able to with a cat or a dog, but I love them just as much as I might love a cat or dog. No one understands the betta bug unless they have it.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #8 
LizzyP

I have a dad and a fiance with the "it's just a fish" thing, too -.-

I have a new betta settling in to a 1 gallon tank. He doesn't do much, just sorta hides. My dad goes "They don't need that big of a tank, they don't swim that much. That's why they live in those little bowls" I seriously could have smacked him with the wooden spoon I was using. I said "Well, no. You're terrifying him by sticking your big ole head right infront of his tank" That got him to shut up.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #9 
ktlelia

My friends are more jerks about my fish habit than my parents.
My parents like animals and try their hardest to care about my fish obsession, but they lack serious education on caring for fish. My dad once thought the goldfish my sister had was "over heated" so...he poured ice cubes in his tank... Didn't end well. My mom used to wash her bettas' tanks in soap every morning...
ktlelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #10 
katrina89

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyP View Post
I have a dad and a fiance with the "it's just a fish" thing, too -.-

I have a new betta settling in to a 1 gallon tank. He doesn't do much, just sorta hides. My dad goes "They don't need that big of a tank, they don't swim that much. That's why they live in those little bowls" I seriously could have smacked him with the wooden spoon I was using. I said "Well, no. You're terrifying him by sticking your big ole head right infront of his tank" That got him to shut up.
hahaha hilarious...i took my husband to petco and im looking at fish i turn around and he has his hand in the friggen turtle tank... i scream and smack him while muttering "i cant take you anywhere" and there is a sign saying salmonella warning when handling turtles... he saw that as an invitation to play with them.... geesh
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote