Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2012, 11:43 PM   #1 
Toaster11

Smile Betta bordom?

Do bettas get bored? Just something I am pondering. My tank is in my room where I dont spend too much time as I work, then go to the gym and go to friends' houses. Is my betta bored to death in his tank?

And what are some good ways to interact with him when I am in my room? He always seems very interested in me whenever I'm in my room.
Toaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #2 
Myates

There have been studies that shown that they do get "bored", but in an animal kind of way.. think like a dog who is left alone all day and stuck inside. They may get destructive (which would include biting it's own fins) or just "depressed".
Bettas need mental stimulation and can be quite social which is why he gets happy when he sees you.

Have him a go at a mirror daily for a few minutes.. will help his ego "chasing off" the other male..
You can use your fingers or a tooth pick and have him chase his food around before feeding it to him to bring out the natural instinct of being an insectivore..
He may enjoy following your finger on the outside glass.. or even your finger in the water (make sure finger is clean, no soap)

How big is the tank? If 4g+, ever consider getting him a room mate?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #3 
Toaster11

The tank is only a 1.5g I havn't seen any little mirrors at Petco in the fish section. Maybe I can find one in the bird area? I personally do not have any mirrors that would work well.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #4 
Myates

If you can find a hand held one in the beauty section at stores like Walmart, those can work too.. may just have to prop it up next to the tank. I use one that is about 6-7" high and 4-5" wide.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #5 
Toaster11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
If you can find a hand held one in the beauty section at stores like Walmart, those can work too.. may just have to prop it up next to the tank. I use one that is about 6-7" high and 4-5" wide.
Sounds good to me. I will find a good sized mirror asap! Thanks!
Old 08-11-2012, 03:58 AM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
I use one [a mirror] that is about 6-7" high and 4-5" wide.
I do, too. Works much better than those little floaty petstore things, better than a compact mirror. They really get to strut their stuff.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:00 AM   #7 
staffylover

I bought a budgie mirror and clip it to the outside of the tank
staffylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #8 
MSG

They have plenty of mirrors you can buy at the dollar store. Heck, everyone should have 2-3 extra hand mirrors in their bathroom. You can also reuse some of your unwanted makeup compacts once you clean them out.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #9 
Adalheidis

Switching decorations once in awhile can help, too. I used to rotate between a few different ones, before I attached the anubias plant to a larger decoration, which doesn't really give me enough space to put others in. I've heard of people using ping pong balls, but my bettas don't really care about those. My crowntail, Spock, likes to read the covers of my books. I just prop them up against the side of his tank, and it seriously looks like he's reading the writing on the cover... My other one, Armand, likes origami animals placed by his tank.
Adalheidis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:54 AM   #10 
BettaQi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adalheidis View Post
Switching decorations once in awhile can help, too. I used to rotate between a few different ones, before I attached the anubias plant to a larger decoration, which doesn't really give me enough space to put others in. I've heard of people using ping pong balls, but my bettas don't really care about those. My crowntail, Spock, likes to read the covers of my books. I just prop them up against the side of his tank, and it seriously looks like he's reading the writing on the cover... My other one, Armand, likes origami animals placed by his tank.
Adorbs!
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote