Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: MULTIPLE CHOICE Poll! Help me design my divided tank!
betta: Halfmoon 1 12.50%
betta: Plakat 1 12.50%
betta: Crowntail 0 0%
look of tank: Natural 1 12.50%
look of tank: CrAzY!! or OTHER (Please Post to Specify) 0 0%
best food: NLS Betta Pellets 3 37.50%
best food: Hikari Bio Gold 1 12.50%
gravel? 0 0%
sand? (i have never had sand) 1 12.50%
Colorful, or natural? 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #21 
SpookyTooth

Ohhh sorry I misunderstood heh (doing that a lot today, very tired xD)! The original cleaning of the sand prior to putting it in the tank is yes... frustrating... a pain.... hard....... tiresome.......

Ooph. You just have to be persistant and patient with it, really. Dump it all in a bucket, put some water in it, swish it with your hands or a big stick, dump water out -- or you can have water gently flowing into the bucket and keep swirling the sand around while allowing the bucket to overflow.

Once the sand is in the tank and has had time to settle it shouldn't clog your filter up (unless it is literally kept in the sand itself). It might be worth putting as much sand as you'll need in your tank, covering it with a shallow layer of water (about 1/4 of the tank's capacity), swishing it all up then draining it repeatedly, this'll probably be quicker (albeit a bit more painstaking) than the other method as you'll only rinse as much as you need.

The type of sand? I'm not really sure... I used a bag of actual aquarium sand (more expensive than other types but I wasn't sure what else was available in the UK) but I've read of others using play sand - it might be worth looking into the Planted Tanks section because lots of people who make NPTs seem to use sand (that was my original purpose as well).

The problem with aerators and using them for sand movement is that they will likely either clog or just cause the sand to create a cloud in the tank so the sand really needs to be moved manually (whether by stick or snail).
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #22 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyTooth View Post
Ohhh sorry I misunderstood heh (doing that a lot today, very tired xD)! The original cleaning of the sand prior to putting it in the tank is yes... frustrating... a pain.... hard....... tiresome.......

Ooph. You just have to be persistant and patient with it, really. Dump it all in a bucket, put some water in it, swish it with your hands or a big stick, dump water out -- or you can have water gently flowing into the bucket and keep swirling the sand around while allowing the bucket to overflow.

Once the sand is in the tank and has had time to settle it shouldn't clog your filter up (unless it is literally kept in the sand itself). It might be worth putting as much sand as you'll need in your tank, covering it with a shallow layer of water (about 1/4 of the tank's capacity), swishing it all up then draining it repeatedly, this'll probably be quicker (albeit a bit more painstaking) than the other method as you'll only rinse as much as you need.

The type of sand? I'm not really sure... I used a bag of actual aquarium sand (more expensive than other types but I wasn't sure what else was available in the UK) but I've read of others using play sand - it might be worth looking into the Planted Tanks section because lots of people who make NPTs seem to use sand (that was my original purpose as well).

The problem with aerators and using them for sand movement is that they will likely either clog or just cause the sand to create a cloud in the tank so the sand really needs to be moved manually (whether by stick or snail).
Ok so areators are out. What about pool filter sand? I have hard it has a better grain size and dosent clog filters or create clouds because of it. Would this be a good sand for beginners? Also, I don't know if it matters, but I have really high ph and very hard water....could this affect my chemistry?
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #23 
SpookyTooth

To be honest I don't rightly know. I think some people use pool filter sand but it is high in silicates which can cause a diatom outbreak (though this isn't dangerous just a bit unsightly). Pool filter sand is usually something known as silica sand, an inert substance that shouldn't cause any problems in your tank at all. It's regularly used to mix into carnivorous plant soil because it doesn't leach anything so I would assume it's okay. Would be worth looking around for info on it though!
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #24 
starrlamia

i used playsand for mine, super cheap and you will have lots left over. I also didnt rinse my sand, it seemed like a waste of time to me. Sand is inert so it shouldnt effect your water parameters.

My biggest suggestion with sand, is to use a plate in your tank when you add water, pour the water on the plate to break up the water and you will get minimal cloudiness from the sand
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #25 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Thanks! I just really don't want clouds of sand everywhere haha!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon, divided, sponge filter