Originally my two bettas, Echo and Kaze, were on either side of a planted divided 54 litre (roughly 14 gallons) aquarium. I decided one day that I'd like to redivide it and upgrade the filtration system I had, I wasn't satisfied with how things were. I removed both fish and had them in containers at opposite ends of my bedroom while I sorted this out as I didn't want to find something went wrong and the fish met or became stressed.
My idea was to create a corridor between each side of the aquarium and have the filter and heater in there but this idea fell through, my dividers simply wouldn't stay. I didn't want to drain the tank and fit anything permanent so I thought it would be wisest to have the fish in individual tanks again, I could run both filters off a single air pump and just bring out my spare heater to use temporarily. Kaze went into my rectangular 21 litre and Echo went into the 12 litre quarantine tank I had put by.
I set to getting Echo's tank sorted first as he was in the QT tank and I wasn't comfortable with him staying in there long term (plus Kaze's tank was satisfactory for the time being) so I went to my favourite fish store and picked up a bunch of supplies (tank, substrate, plants, ordered another heater online). After a lot of hard work and my light system dying and needing replacing I completed Echo's new home and am very pleased. I wanted to offer Echo a safe environment packed with plants as he is rather an angry fish, he flares at everything so I thought lots of cover would help him calm down.
Echo now lives in a 24 litre (about 5.5 gallons) cube. The plants are bursting
into life and seem to be doing very well, the anacharis has started to form flower buds. The water is tinted a rose tea colour due to the piece of spiralling mopani wood situated at the back of the aquarium (my parents bought this piece of wood for me because they thought it'd be ideal, and it was -- thank you). There is also a piece of driftwood in there with some anubias, java fern and java moss attached. There are miniscule amounts of duckweed in the tank, I am looking to get a few larger species of floating plants to filter some of the light though that may not be needed as the anarcharis seems to be taking care of that for me.
Please excuse the leopard print cloth in the photos; Echo and Kaze's tanks are next to each other and with Kaze's being rectangular he and Echo can see each other when they are both at the front, the cloth is to stop them getting stressed.
Plants: anubias nana, cryptocoryne nevelli, cryptocoryne willisi, egeria/elodea densa (anacharis
heteranthera zosterifolia, hygrophila polysperma, marimo moss ball, microsorum pteropus (java fern
pogostemon helferi, rotala rotundifolia, vallisneris torta, vesicularia dubyana (java moss
I'll be working towards getting Kaze's done next. We want to get another 24 litre cube as it fits better on the table that my tanks are sat on as well as being slightly larger than his current one. Once Kaze's tank is finished his 21 litre will be going to my giant African land snail and I will likely collapse in a heap with exhaustion... very much worth it though!
Echo is exceptionally
grateful for all the effort I put into his tank, as you can see...