Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #1 
rissah

Water changes

I feel really weird asking so many questions, but I want to ensure I care for any future Bettas properly.

So my inquiry this time is this: Does any have a or know of a "how-to" for water changes?

I normally keep my fish in a bowl, which is different then a tank obviously, but my issue is, I have no idea how to preform a water change, and I figured I should find out before invest in all of my supplies for my fish.

If it helps I am considering getting a gravel vacuum.
rissah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Just do 1 100% change and 1 50% change per week. You're going to need a siphon for the 50% change. I thought you knew about this when you bought the fish. :l
For a 100% change, just put the fish in a cup. Pour out all the water, clean the gravel and decorations. Clean the tank with hot water, put in all the decorations and gravel, and put in water with the temperature the same as the water in the fish's cup or a 2 degrees difference. Float the cup in the tank, just near the surface and leave it for 30 minutes. Then either put the fish in gently, or pour out 1/2 of the cup's water into the sink and put in some tank water. Leave it for 5 minutes and put even more. Repeat until the cup is full.
For the 50%, just siphon out the water while cleaning the gravel. Leave the fish in if it's healthy. Healthy fish can tolerate stress.

^ That's it. Pretty easy.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #3 
rissah

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Just do 1 100% change and 1 50% change per week. You're going to need a siphon for the 50% change. I thought you knew about this when you bought the fish. :l
For a 100% change, just put the fish in a cup. Pour out all the water, clean the gravel and decorations. Clean the tank with hot water, put in all the decorations and gravel, and put in water with the temperature the same as the water in the fish's cup or a 2 degrees difference. Float the cup in the tank, just near the surface and leave it for 30 minutes. Then either put the fish in gently, or pour out 1/2 of the cup's water into the sink and put in some tank water. Leave it for 5 minutes and put even more. Repeat until the cup is full.
For the 50%, just siphon out the water while cleaning the gravel. Leave the fish in if it's healthy. Healthy fish can tolerate stress.

^ That's it. Pretty easy.
Oh no, I don't have the fish yet, I'm just reading up on how to prep for when I do decide to get the fish :)

For the 50% how do you know when the gravel is clean? And do you just take out half the water, then add the new water with it?

Oh an another question: for either of the water changes, do you need to cycle the water before adding the fish again?

Last edited by rissah; 08-12-2012 at 02:13 PM.
rissah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rissah View Post
Oh no, I don't have the fish yet, I'm just reading up on how to prep for when I do decide to get the fish :)

For the 50% how do you know when the gravel is clean? And do you just take out half the water, then add the new water with it?

Oh an another question: for either of the water changes, do you need to cycle the water before adding the fish again?
Oh, OK. :)
The gravel is clean if you don't see the fish poop and food.
You can't "Cycle" the water. You just condition the new water and put it into the tank gently. The cycling process takes around a month and I'm afraid that's not possible in bowls.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #5 
MyRainbowBettaFish

don't forget to add dechlorinator and condtionder so your betta dosent die from chlorine/heavy-metal poisoning!

And don't forget, BETTAS ARE VERY,VERY ADDICTING! XD
Welcome to the forum! Be sure to post pictures!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote