Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #1 
Rerram

Tank upgrade

Originally he was in a 1 gallon semi-circle type tank with a heater but no filter. Now I have put him in a 2.5 gallon with a filter. I wish I could have gotten it on video when I put him in there, I could see his colors start to brighten, but maybe I am just imagining that part. I figure the filter will help keep things clean and I will save money and effort on water changes. Plus, he seems happy.
Attached Images

Rerram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

He's happy to have twice the room he had. Because your tank is on the smaller side you will still need to do fairly frequent water changes, especially if the tank is not cycled. Keep in mind the smaller the volume of water the more difficult to keep the water parameters safe. Others with tanks the same size will hopefully advise better.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #3 
Laki

congrats on the upgrade!! I remember upgrading Lakitu from .5g to 1g and then to the kk :) Happy fishies!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #4 
Kenny G

Congrats on the upgrade. Your betta will enjoy having more space. You might get him some type of decoration he can hide in like a cave or a cup to give him privacy and get out of the light to reduce stress. Now about that gun to the left of your tank in your first picture. I hope its fake
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #5 
Laki

lol I never noticed it!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #6 
Sceven

Awesome Upgrade, and GD that's a big ol gun! I also noticed a name plate!? What service?
Sceven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #7 
Rerram

Yes it is a real gun. However, it is missing a few pieces internally that make in non functional. So I just display it. And that nameplate and ribbons are from my time in ROTC. I am considering maybe putting a female in the old tank. My only concern is there isn't space for a filter. Which is why I upgraded initially. However, if I got a snail or two, and maybe used live plants, could that be feasible?
Rerram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #8 
Myates

The snail would actually make it worse.. most snails release A LOT of waste, and if you got 2 of the same species you will soon have hundreds. In a 1 gallon, it's not advisable to put in a snail as it will only make things worse.
Live plants will help keep the water cleaner.. you could put in a couple easy plants in such as Java moss/fern, Anubias, etc that live just fine in low light, doesn't need substrate nor a filter. A couple of those (or even one healthy one as to not take up too much space) will benefit the smaller tank. It can reduce clean up to 2 50% per week with 1 100% every other week (in replace of a 50%) easily by just having a live plant in there.. (the plant will use the waste as fertilizer, why you wouldn't have to do a 100% each week).
It's an idea :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #9 
KukaaKatchou

You can keep the smaller tank as a Quarentine tank or hospital tank in case your fish gets sick, you need a quarentine a tank mate, you want to quarentine your new plants, etc.
KukaaKatchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #10 
Bounce

Nice upgrade! I'm really becoming a fan of the white gravel. Makes everything so bright and spacious.
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote