Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #11 
Aus

If you're on a tight budget (which I mostly am) you can still get a great jungly look with just a few species, especially if those have between them a variety of leaf shapes and/or colours. My little 3.5 gallon has far fewer plant species than the 10 gallon, but looks even more lush somehow (it's also far more established than the 10g). Driftwood's also great for a natural look and with java fern and anubias attached can really pop.

Never give up on a plant until it's for sure dead as a doornail. Many aquatic plants really hate change, and some are notorious for dying back in new water, only to sprout like mad once they've adjusted. Which could take weeks.. and weeks..

I'd so post you a ton of java fern if you were in Aus.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #12 
LittleWatty

Oh, I've already got loads of Javafern! Thanks for the offer though XD Its just really spread out between my tanks lol most of it is in my uncycled 3 gallons, to help a little with nitrogen content and water clarity. I've got one piece (with a baby) in my 10 gallon, and one piece in my CT's 6.6 gallon bookshelf. So far my favorite is definitely my (what I believe is) Dwarf Lily (Link). Its growing like crazy, and adds a little more color variety to the otherwise green tanks. I've been having decent luck with aponogeton too, and I love its unique, crinkled leaves too. One of mine won't stop flowering XD It sends up a flower every couple days, and it drives me nuts. I know people here tend to hate the insta-bulbs, but I've had good luck with them. All my onions grew, 50% of my aponogeton grew, and both of my lilies are thriving. Guess I just got lucky lol Wish my wisteria would grow, but it always melts after a few weeks of good growth. I just barely managed to save most of my stems, and they've only got a few leaves left.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #13 
BettaQi

Lovely!

Inspiring!
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #14 
ao
TFK Moderator

breathtakingly beautiful :O
I've been waiting for you to post a thread up in here since forever Aus :D
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:54 AM   #15 
SpookyTooth

They're beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing - really gives me food for thought for my other aquarium.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:29 AM   #16 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Great job Aus
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:02 AM   #17 
magnum

Gah! Your planted tanks are amazing! Mine all have java fern/ java moss but I want some driftwood to attach it to. I reckon the benefit of having a fully planted tank is amazing for appearance and for betta.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #18 
Oldfishlady

Very nice.....I love the lush, jungle look too.....

Are you injecting CO2....I could never get the baby tears to carpet for me-they grew okay-but more upright in my tanks.

Once you get started with plants its hard to go back to fake....lol....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #19 
Aus

Thankyou everyone! I just hope they hold up in our imminent move (once we find a suitable house..) - I have a pretty good plan for minimal disruption though.

OFL, no CO2, just a very bright spot at the front of the 10 gallon tank due to poor tank design on the manufacturer's part, heh. It makes a good spot for the baby's tears, however, and a couple of other light-loving species.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #20 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Assassin snail will help snail problem caves from driftwood and lava rock may have problems with shrimp other than that nice.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote