Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #1 
FallenMurphy

Hood Lock

I am not sure if such a product exists, but it's something I need to look into. I currently do not have a betta, but hoping to get one soon. My son, who's 2, loves to look at the fish tank, but he has a habit of opening up the hood door and sticking his hand in it. Not all the time, but enough where I have concern he might try when there's a fish inside. I have the tank on my desk and it's the only sturdy and good spot for it at my place. Is there anything I can do where he cannot open it up on his own, but is easy for me to take off so I can feed the fish? My fiance put a piece of brown packaging tape and it isn't working. I have to peel it off each time I test the water and the hood doesn't sit right because the take gets caught in the cracks of the door.

Does anyone have any solutions or had this issue with their kids and how they handled it. I want him to enjoy the tank, but not stress the poor fish I get.
FallenMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

I know some reptile tanks have locks on them because snakes can be escape artists. Maybe see if you can adapt one of those to your tank. With a typical aquarium top I don't really see how it could be locked. what about moving the tank out of his reach?
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #3 
ngrubich

You could also tape the lid down, like with some clear packing tape or plain scotch tape. I'd fold over the ends of the tape pieces so that they can peel off without digging at them with your finger nails.
ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #4 
Reaper

Check the child safety area of your home repair store. There are some cabinet latches/ locks you may be able to use
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote