Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #1 
dramaqueen
Banned

Coyotes

Do any of you guys know anything about coyotes and their habits? We had one roaming our neighborhood yesterday around 10 or 11 in the morning. Do they come out normally in broad daylight?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #2 
diablo13

I know a bit about them. It may not have been rabid, they can come out day or night. Where there is one, there is a fair chance there are more, so be careful. Secure your garbage, and make sure crawl spaces and the such are closed. Keep your bushes trimmed, it could act as shelter for them or their prey. Keep pets inside, they'll view cats and dogs smaller than them( 35-40 pounds) as food, and larger dogs as competition. If confronted with them, don't turn and run. Make yourself as big as possible, suck in air and stand on tip toes, maintain eyes contact, and throw stuff at them. Rocks, tennis balls, spray them with a hose, anything, and back away slowly. Remember, they can and will outrun you, and if you've thouroughly pissed them off they probably will, If you turn around. Don't put pet food outside, clean out bird feeders until they're find. Don't feed them! And educate your neighbors on this stuff. That's about it.
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Thanks, Diablo. One of our board members called a friend of mine who has a dog and warned her about it. I walk a lot and I was concerned about running into it. There is a woman in the development next to ours who puts bread and peanuts and stuff on her patio for birds, chipmunks or whatever. A friend of ours has complained about it but their homeowners association has done nothing about it. It's going to attract all kinds of unwanted vermin, rats, mice and coyotes included.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #4 
diablo13

They should really do something about her 0.0 that's probably what attracted them in the first place. Either that or you live near a lot of mice and prey. Is your house near a field, forest, or lake?
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #5 
Silverfang

They also show up when habitat is taken away. We've had issues this year. Most notably the I believe 72 pound one caught not too far from here. Speculation leads to it being a hybrid wolf coyote.

They will be attracted by food, prey, even pets. A leash is no deterrent to q hungry predator.

Sorry for the doom and gloom info. Supposedly loud noises help, but I've never paid that much attention.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

We live near a state park. We have had skunks, deer., raccoons chipmunks, coyotes and opossums. Yeah, they really need to do something about that woman.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

My mom is talking to our friend who lives next door to this woman. She's going to talk to their board president about it, I think.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #8 
MistersMom

yes i see them all the time out here in the country, they are awake all hour of the day, they eat small animals like cats and dogs as well, and may get into your garbage... but they are honestly more afraid of you than you are of them, they are the size of a medium sized dig, not that big, i stood five feet away from one the other night, with only a barb wire fence between us, he/she was much more scared, also, keep an eye on your dogs for mange, Coyotes tend to carry it. that advice about your tipped toes and making yourself seem bigger, is mainly for bears lol, coyotes, unless extremely brave or Rabid, will run away, trust me, ive done my fair share of walking through the woods and pastures and up and down roads, at night. you really have nothing to worry about as long as, like Diablo said, you keep your bushes trimmed, small crawl holes filled/locked, and your pets indoors as night, you have nothing to fear. Radios played outside at night, keep snakes and Coyotes away, possibly even cougars... and there are wolves all over America, even in Oklahoma, so SilverFang may be right about that coyote and wolf mutt. We named our residential Coyote Wiley... Wiley the Coyote :L he's not dangerous, just scary lol

Last edited by MistersMom; 08-12-2012 at 09:52 PM.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #9 
Silverfang

Don't know what its lineage is, samples were sent for DNA testing.

They were quite brazen this spring.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #10 
Relic

Coyotes are usually pretty shy animals. They will run at the first sight or smell of a human...if you're seeing one in a residential area in the day light then he is likely getting use to humans and may become a danger to the local pets...a lone coyote will typically leave anything larger than a rabbit alone, But if he/she has found it can easily catch and eat something like a house cat then it may start getting brave enough to go after small dogs. Call your local conservation officer and either they can come out and trap it or they will give you the number of a local resident who can come and trap it....if they have the correct permits they can relocate it..if not then it'll likely be put down.
I use to make a good living trapping and hunting coyotes on the local cattle farms.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote