Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #1 
homegrown terror

got an idea, think it'd work?

i was thinking of leasing a boutique and starting a store that sells nothing but betta stuff. betta tanks of all shapes and sizes, tank inserts, live plants, betta-compatible tankmates, a variety of foods (including a betta "treat buffet" similar to what Petco has for dogs), aquarium chemicals and test kits, medicines and a selection of care guides. in addition, i'd work out supply deals with reputable and humane breeders who operate locally to ensure that the fish don't have to endure long, stressful transits. i'd stock affordable veiltails, show-quality crowns and halfmoons and everything in between, all kept in roomy, well lit and friendly environments, and only put in cups when someone buys one. i would also offer tank design and setup for people who don't have the creativity or just want something more elaborate than they can create themselves. i know this is a big-time pipe dream, but it'd be so much fun to try, and given the fact that fish in general and bettas specifically are quickly becoming the "hot pet" these days, it might just take off.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

It sounds like a great idea to me if you ve got the money and know about business.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #3 
megaredize

i know i would love to go to a store like that
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #4 
Mo

Theres one of those in Minnesota
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #5 
registereduser

When I was a kid my LFS was in a man's basement. It was lined with tanks with all kinds of fish. It was his hobby that grew into a business. We loved going there!

If you own your own home it might be possible to do the same, that way you don't have to lay out any rent.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #6 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
I wish I knew about it when I went to Minnesota last year. (Heh but I might've wound up with more betta's that way and I have grabby hand cousins.)

I know I'd love to go to a store like that. It's also a dream of mine to own a tropical fish shop one day.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:15 AM   #7 
Htennek

Location: Somewhere between rage and serenity.... if I am not there, then I must be in the coffeehouse chat.
It's called the Betta Shop, right?
Htennek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #8 
Mo

Yep
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #9 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
do they seem to do good business there? what kind of shopping center is it in? are their customers mostly families or individuals? i'd like to know more about it in case i ever pan this dream out.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #10 
Aus

I think you'd do well, if you also made internet sales a part of your business.

Reason being, ofc, that not all betta owners are concentrated in one physical location. And online sales of betta-specific accessories/plant ferts/medications/IAL/live cultures/etc would be so handy for people who don't live close by to your store.. I would think it'd be a pretty essential service in this day and age anyhow, especially for a specialty store.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote