Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #1 
kristine

hi im new to the betta world and have a few questions :)

i recently bought two male bettas for my son, one a red dtmh, and the other a blue veiltail betta....bothn in sepeate tanks both 1.5 gallon tank plenty of plants and hiding places, i thought they seemed lonely so i then went out and bought two female betta...one a AA platinum white (shes beautiful) and another a AA mascot female (also a beauty)....the females in placed in the same tank and seem to get along great, all the while they are placed next to the blue bettas tank for about two weeks now and seem to be very friendly towards one another, the reason i joined i can questions, today i was cleaning all my bettas tank, i had the females on one side of a separate tank i had bought specifically for cleaning with the divider and the blue male on the other side with holes in between....while cleaning the tank my son said mommy look...the divider had fallen...i watched closely to see what would happen, but NOTHING did, i finished cleaning the tanks while continuing to observe the bettas, so i didnt notice any hostility the females and male didnt flare once at each other (15 -20minutes together)....IS IT OKAY TO KEEP THEM TOGETHER WHERE THEY HAVE BEEN LIVING NEXT TO EACH OTHER FOR 2 WEEKS NOW AND WHEN THEY BECAME IN CONTACT WITH EACH OTHER NO FIGHTING OR FLARING)
kristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #2 
kristine

And even now being separated and in separate tanks they seem to be meeting still closly by one another,
kristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Females and Males can't be kept together. Only for breeding purposes. Within some needs, they can live together. Bettas don't get "Lonely". They prefer to be alone. Betta 101 is to keep Bettas alone unless it's a sorority or within the reasons. They don't like each other either. Probably just curious.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #4 
Laki

2 bettas in a 1.5g is much too small.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #5 
FishHERO27

I would keep all the bettas apart and in small tanks they like it small. They are found under rice paties in asia. So don't worry if you think there tanks are too small. But still I would keep them apart.
Posted via Mobile Device
FishHERO27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Bettas don't like small spaces. How would you feel if you lived in a closet? The rice paddies are shallow, yes. But can stretch across miles and miles. The paddies aren't puddles either.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #7 
FishHERO27

You should probably keep them apart no matter how much it looks like they will like each other. They would not want to be together they would want to be apart.
Posted via Mobile Device
FishHERO27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #8 
Laki

It's okay to think that but you're wrong. The rice paddie thing is a huge myth and frankly, I'm much too tired to get into it. Basically, rice paddies are huuuuuugggee shallow bodies of water, bettas can maintain a territory that spans the aquarium eqivelant of many, many gallons. In the wild they are not forced into small areas. I don't care that you keep your bettas in 1.5g but it would be better if all 4 of them had their own 1.5g tank. Keeping 2 in one of the tanks is much too small.
*eta- Sorry I thought the OP posted the rice paddy thing.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

The girls could also start fighting. Even if it has been 2 weeks, they can start anytime.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #10 
Jrf456

Please please PLEASE seperate them. While most of us prefer at least 2 gallons for one betta, keeping ONE fish in a 1.5 will do fine. Betta fish DO NOT get lonely. They PREFER to be alone.

If you find that you don't want to keep the females now since you know they can't stay with the males, Petco/Petsmart have excellent return policies.

If you want to keep them, invest in AT LEAST a ten gallon tank and three other female betta's to create a "sorority". A sorority MUST BE ten gallons or higher and consist of NO LESS than five girls and NO MORE than five girls (in a ten gallon)

If neither of those work, please get two more 1.5 gallon tanks and put one of the females in each one.

Please do what's right for these fish. Listen to the help I and others on this website tell you, we know what we're talking about. Most of us started off with betta's like you did, misinformed with info that untrained pet store employees told us. Now that you know, PLEASE take good care of these fish or do something with them permanently.

Also, +1 for Laki and Lebron. xD

(sorry for my mildy blunt rant)
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote