Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #11 
Jrf456

Another suggestion is to either move the fishes tanks farther away from each other so they can't see each other or put something (paper, a towel, a divider, etc.) in between the two tanks. Seeing another male/female is very stressful for them, especially when it's their instinct to fight other betta's and they're seperated by a glass/plastic wall.
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #12 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Welcome to the forum.

The absolute BARE MINIMUM for a divided tank is 10 gallon, and you would HAVE to get two males, unless you would want to stress your male and female from the pheromones the female gives off. The stress could cause immune detiroation.

FEMALES AND MALES SHOULD NEVER BE HOUSED IN THE SAME TANK/WATER,NO MATTER THE CIRCU<STANCES>

Please, research before eyou buy any pets, and make sure you have the amount of patience/knowledge of the upkeep/matinence/equipment.

Sorry if i came up as rough, just didn't want you bettas to suffer anymore than they already have.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #13 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
Welcome to the forum.

The absolute BARE MINIMUM for a divided tank is 10 gallon, and you would HAVE to get two males, unless you would want to stress your male and female from the pheromones the female gives off. The stress could cause immune detiroation.

FEMALES AND MALES SHOULD NEVER BE HOUSED IN THE SAME TANK/WATER,NO MATTER THE CIRCU<STANCES>

Please, research before eyou buy any pets, and make sure you have the amount of patience/knowledge of the upkeep/matinence/equipment.

Sorry if i came up as rough, just didn't want you bettas to suffer anymore than they already have.
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. 10 gallons isn't the bare minimum for dividing. You could divide a 5 gallon, now that's the minimum IMO. And you don't HAVE to get 2 males, you could always divide it for 2 females.
The female and male in the same tank can actually work. In ponds or a very big tank, or even just a lot of filtration, heavily planted, etc.
In any means, I'm sorry if I was kinda intruding or a know-it-all. It's just that I don't want people to know some wrong info.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:04 AM   #14 
Jrf456

You know I love you and Honeycomb, MyRainbowBettaFish, but dividing a 5 gallon for two males is okay! (I've done it before, xD)
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #15 
Laki

I have a divided 5g. It's got enough plants so they don't feel threatened by each other and they can look and challenge through the divider, Actually I have never seen them so happy.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #16 
MyRainbowBettaFish

sorry guys! Just trying to my point out there that IMO, bigger is better. I have never really thought about dividing a 5 gallon, and i appreciate your ideas to!
Sorry about that! Thanks for the corrections!

@Lebron, oh well that would make sense about the females D;UH

haha thanks everyone i apologize!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #17 
SpookyTooth

Hello and welcome to the forums!

As every one has kindly pointed out it would be best to seperate your lovely fish and keep them in individual tanks. When kept in a tank together they'll likely get very stressed out. If keeping a male and female together they will likely either fight or spawn - and if they spawn they'll still be aggressive to one another and get hurt and more stressed, there's also the added stress on you as there would probably be a lot of babies to raise (and this costs an awful lot).

In the wild bettas live in stillwater ponds with lots of plant life, my reading tells me that they can actually move from pond to pond in search of new territory. They are your "lone ranger" of the fish world and really do prefer to be kept alone.

I have read (although cannot confirm this through scientific documentation) that bettas were introduced into rice paddies by man to help control pest insect populations. Regardless of whether or not this is true those rice paddies are very shallow but very, very wide. It's quite possible that bettas entered the rice paddies looking for more territory and found them to be ideal. Bettas breathe air like we do and so shallow water is usually better - but that doesn't mean a small tank is always better.

Your 1.5 gallon aquariums will be fine for long-term care of your fish, as long as you only have one fish per tank and do two weekly water changes: one 50% and one 100% (including draining the tank and cleaning all the tank substrate, whether sand, gravel or stones). It'll be even better for your fish if you can ensure their water temperature is between 76 and 82 degrees F, this is their normal temperature range -- but this can wait if you don't have the facility to provide extra heating. What matters right now is ensuring that each of your fish lives on their own and that they aren't in constant view of each other.

I hope all continues to go well - it sounds like you're doing okay so far -- and thank you for coming to the forums to ask about this. It's great to see another person who is willing to learn about these gorgeous animals and someone who isn't afraid to ask questions.

Last edited by SpookyTooth; 08-13-2012 at 11:24 AM.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #18 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

for a female sorioty you need at least 3 females in at least 10 gallon better would be female.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #19 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

and males need at least 2.5 gallons I keep my male in his own 10 gallon and my female in a 20 gallon.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote