Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #1 
MizMelis

Not having the best luck.....

So we had gotten out new fishy last tuesday (7 days tomorrow) and when i bought him, his water was blue. According to the division manager who i was talking to, it was an antibiotic of some sort, which i'm thinking that means he was sick, and they did treat him(hens the antibiotic in his water).

So when we came home this evening after having dinner at my parents, we went to go feed him and within just those few hours from when i checked on him before we left and the time we go home (about 4 hours) he had developed pop-eye. I did do a 20% water change after we fed him(and he ate, not as much as he normally does, but still a fair amount, and he gets fed flakes specifically for Betta's) and changed his filter cartridge since he was due for a partial 20% change tomorrow anyways, i figure i day early isn't going to hurt. He's also in a 5 gallon heated tank, the thermometer is reading at roughly 78F. His filter cartridge was really surprisingly filthy when i changed it.
When we had our very first Betta (almost 3 years ago), we used the same filter/ disposable cartridge system and it never got as filthy as it was tonight in the 1.5 gallon we had housed him in and the 1.5 gallon had gotten weekly 100% water changes along with changing the cartridge every week.

So i've been checking on him periodically tonight to make sure he's still as active (he is), though he stays mostly to the back of the tank instead of coming to the front. The last time i checked on him, about an hour ago, i discovered one(thankfully only one) tiny white spec on his back, slightly close to his head. It doesn't look like a grain of salt or anything, just a white spec. ( I would post a photo, but my camera takes slightly blurry photo's when it's trying to take the pic at close range). I'm thinking it might be Ich.
So since i can't get into town tomorrow(we live about 40 minutes outside of the city) my mum is going to be picking up some medication for me on her way home from class.

When i googled on how to treat Pop-eye earlier(before i discovered the white spec), it came up with several meds to use. API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API General Cure, API Triple Sulfa, Mardelís Maracyn or Maracyn II.

Now once i discovered that white spec that i'm guessing is probably the very start of Ich, I read that Maracyn II is the best to use. Is this true ? and will this treat his case of pop-eye as well ? Sorry the post is so long, I just want to make sure i have enough information posted as possible.

Because Bubbles the 2nd was treated previously with the blue antibiotic at the pet store, which to me say's he has a history is getting sick, would that mean that he's more prone to infection ?

Seems I haven't been having the best of luck lately with betta's from that specific store.
MizMelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #2 
kyasarin5

If he was in a cup at Petsmart the blue water he is in is a water conditioner for bettas that helps protect them from fungus and diseases. I think it is called Betta Buddies water conditioner. It sounds like it is the start of ich. Maracyn II is a antibiotic called minocycline so it won't do anything for external parasites. I am using api super ick cure and it seems to be working pretty well. To treat ich it is important to understand the life cycle of ich. Here is a link to a good article.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....+2160&aid=2421
kyasarin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #3 
MSG

All bettas that my LFS sells come in blue water.

You should try to get a picture of the fish, because you don't want to treat it with those medications if he's not really sick.

I thought one of my bettas had ich but it turned out to be 2 tiny air bubbles attached to it's body.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #4 
MizMelis

Thanks.
We don't have pet smart here, but something pretty similar called Pets Unlimited.
So i'm not sure if the local pet store here has API super ich cure, though if it is Ich, i'm sure they have something similar to it that does the trick.

When i was speaking to Brett(The Division manager, who i was e-mailing with previously about the second fish we bought from there ) at the store last week, He said the blue water was from an Antibiotic, but I don't remember the name of it.

Like i mentioned above I "think" it may be Ich, but i really don't know. When i googled for photo's of what it looked like on actual fish, it doesn't look like what those fish had, It just looks like a white spec, but not bright white or anything. I will attach the photo i managed to take (i finally discovered the right setting on my camera to take really clear photo's, and it was the only good one that i was able to take since he was darting around and is still very very active.)

In the photo you can see his bulging eye, though the cloudiness seems to have cleared up a little bit with just that one 20% water change. the white spec I was talking about is just diagonal from his eye. There are two other tiny tiny specs next to it, but i know those are tiny water bubbles that look kinda shiny because of the flash and since he likes to play around under the filter a bit since the current isn't too too strong.
When i look at his fins( I don't know the proper name for them, but the ones he uses to swim around with) straight on, they look perfect, so in the picture they look a little off, i think due to the flash of my camera.

Hopefully I was able to zoom in enough so you could see it as clearly as possible.
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #5 
MizMelis

Crap.. sorry about that guy's, wrong photo.. I uploaded the right one in this post, as a zoomed in screen shot of the one i was aiming to upload in the first place.
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2012, 12:13 AM   #6 
MizMelis

Should I just treat him for pop-eye and see how it goes ?

I'm still very new at needing to figure out what health issue my betta has. the last betta we had, didn't last any longer then just over 24 hours and the previous before him lasted almost 3 years and never had any kind of issue until he passes due to old age. So we never had to deal with health issues before.

He's been doing absolutely fantastic since the day we brought him home up until today.
I also know where Pets Unlimited get their Betta's from, and i'm not surprised on how stressed the little guy's can get since it's a very long journey. Apparently they get them straight from breeders in Montreal, Quebec and their transported from there, roughly 8-9 hours to here in Moncton, NB and I was told they get about 140 new fish every two weeks.

His diet is the Flakes specifically for betta's, his water temp is perfect, as far as i see on the thermometer, not really a whole lot of activity around his tank(which is the only space available to keep him in my son's room on his dresser), My son doesn't spend a huge amount of time in his room, mostly to sleep and drag out a few toys, so i know he isn't shaking the dresser which i know could lead to stress and water quality is better since i did do a 20% change.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:18 AM   #7 
MSG

He definitely looks like he's got the start of pop-eye. Do you have the anti-popeye medication?

I can't really see the specs, but it just could be missing scales.

If you are to treat him, move him to a 1 gallon or half gallon container.

For the spots, you're going to have to take a picture that shows his face. Use 1 pellet to lure him closer. Try to get a good shot before you give him the pellet.

The other night when I thought my fish had ich spots, but turned out to be bubbles, I realized the areas where the spots were located was too small to get a decent picture of it. It's like a near impossible shot with a P&S camera. I didn't even bother. I just grabbed a led flashlight for a closer look.

I think 20% is somewhat low. 50% is what you should be changing.

Also do you have a water test kit?
Old 08-13-2012, 12:35 AM   #8 
MSG

The 2 stores closest to me have a 15 day and the other has a 30 day guarantee on their fish.

If it dies within that time period, they'll give you a new one if your water checks out.

There's been times where I've looked at the tanks and the fish inside the tank looked a little strange. If I suspect a fish is ill, I wouldn't risk buying any of them and I would come back next week.

Bettas are usually different because they're housed in a small container. It's easy to tell which ones are sick and which ones are not if you observe them for a while.

They're the only fish I would possibly take a risk on due to their coloration.

Try to get a better picture in the morning with sunlight.

Ich is relatively easy to treat. Popeye usually requires medication.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:35 AM   #9 
MizMelis

I knew he definitely had the start of pop-eye, thankfully my mum is picking up some meds to treat that tomorrow since she'll be in town and I wont (it's the earliest i can get it).

Thankfully I do have two previous tanks here, a 1/2 gallon and 1.5 gallon. So i can use either or as a hospital tank.

In the second photo i uploaded, it's a zoomed in screenshot of the closest photo i was able to take and if you can zoom in a little on your browser, you can see that one tiny spec on his head just diagonal from his bulging eye. He's very active so it was a bit difficult to take any clear photo's at all lol. I'm lucky i got the shots i did. It's only the one prominent spec on his body that i've seen.

He's not on pellets right now, He's on BettaMin flakes by tetra, but i have been thinking of switching him over once pay day comes next week. (i'm sure it would be much easier to scoop out the uneaten pellets then it is to clean out the disintegrated sunken flakes.)

I also don't have a test kit at the moment, Since this little guy was the replacement the pet store gave us because of what happened with Bubbles the first, I was able to buy the new tank and the heater and a couple of other things that I was unable to afford the test kit that day. Since i don't like to neglect any pet I do plan on picking up a kit as soon as i can afford one to keep an eye on his water levels.

I only did a 20% change because when i searched it's what was suggested. Though i'm not apposed to doing a bigger percentage, the healthy life of my little guy is important.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:54 AM   #10 
MizMelis

Thanks MSG, Our local pets unlimited only has a 7 day guarantee. When we picked this little guy out, He actually wasn't our first pick, We were going to go with red again, but when he was put into the bag it was discovered he had the start of a fungus, so this little guy was technically our 3rd pick who looked very healthy and was actually active in his little tiny jar, opposed to many of the others who weren't very active and mostly rested on the bottom.

I JUST went and checked on him again, and he's still extremely active, the cloudiness on his bulged out eye is more centered in the middle now, so it's decreased a bit from when i first discovered it.
He did swim right up to the front of the tank when I went in to check on him, so i got a better andmmuch closer look then i was able to get earlier(darted away when i tried to take a photo as per usual, I think he's camera shy), and it looks more like a tiny missing scale then what I know Ich looks like. The spot is completely flat against his body and not like a grain of saltso when i googled for a photo of a betta who had a missing scale(or scales) like it was suggested above, it definitely looks like the spot he's got, So i'm not too worried now. I probably should have googled that in the first place, but i got so scared that it might have been Ich that i wanted to check with people who have owned betta's a lot longer then I have.

I'm still concerned about the pop-eye, what kind of medication should i let my mum know to buy ? As posted in my OP when i had googled on how to treat pop-eye, there was several med's listed , API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API General Cure, API Triple Sulfa, Mardel’s Maracyn or Maracyn II. Or is there a medication specifically for pop-eye ?