Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2012, 12:55 AM   #1 
Tybeebird

sudden swollen belly! D:

I just went to check on one of my bettas, and my male crowntail (Bepo) has a swollen belly. It wasn't like that a few hours ago, either.
This afternoon, about 2 PM, I did a 25% water change and added some Seachem Betta Basics to his previously un-conditioned well water. He seemed fine then. About 8 PM, he was fed one Aqueon pellet. I checked on him again at 10 PM and he was fine - now, at 1:50 AM, his belly is swollen.

When I went to check on him he was laying at the bottom of his tank, which is unsual (he normally sleeps on top of one of his plants) for him - when I got close to the tank he swam up, which is hopefully a good sign. I'm just extremely worried, as this is the first time I've seen one of my bettas so bloated. :c I'm pretty sure it's because of the water conditioner, so now I feel like a total idiot for putting it in there. I don't have any betta cups on hand, but if needed I can place him in a mason jar or some other type of container... it's just so late and I don't want to stress him out, and I'm already stressing myself out.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5g
What temperature is your tank? around 76-78
Does your tank have a filter? no.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no.
Is your tank heated? no.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? aqueon pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day, two pellets.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? three times a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? none, but as of this morning i added two capfuls of seachem betta basics.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: n/a
Nitrite: n/a
Nitrate: n/a
pH: n/a
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? suddenly swollen belly.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? unsure, it's late at night and he was asleep when i found him.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about 15 minutes ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no.
How old is your fish (approximately)? probably about five months, i purchased him at a petsmart and have owned for about 2 weeks.

Last edited by Tybeebird; 08-13-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Tybeebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:08 AM   #2 
xShainax

I think he is just constipated
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #3 
teeneythebetta

You need a different water change schedule! A 2.5 gallon uncycled tank should have 2 water changes per week- 1 100% change and 1 50% change.

He is probably just constipated. Do not feed him for a couple days and maybe give him some frozen daphnia.

Last edited by teeneythebetta; 08-13-2012 at 02:26 PM.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #4 
FiShFiShFiShFiSh

Skip feeding for a day or two and see if that works, and I have heard that feeding a betta fish a tiny piece of pea will help with constipation.
FiShFiShFiShFiSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #5 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiShFiShFiShFiSh View Post
Skip feeding for a day or two and see if that works, and I have heard that feeding a betta fish a tiny piece of pea will help with constipation.
Pea is not good for them. Frozen daphnia is recommended because it is a natural laxative an will help him pass stuff through.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #6 
FiShFiShFiShFiSh

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
You need a different water change schedule! A 2.5 gallon uncycled tank should have 2 water changes per week- 1 100% change and 1 50% change.

He is probably just constipated. Do not feed him for a couple days and maybe give him some frozen daphnia.
Okay, I didn't know that. I have heard people say pea is good. I know daphnia is good for them though, I feed it to my bettas live and frozen, and they love it! That may be why I have had no cases of bloating in my fish room Oh who am I kidding, it's just my bedroom. Maybe some day I will have my own fish room.
FiShFiShFiShFiSh is offline   Reply With Quote