Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #1 
Kwomais

Is it finrot or...?

I noticed that one of Alpha's anal fins looked shorter than the other. A week or 2 ago I noticed that it looked almost like it was folded back on itself and now, it is definitely pronounced and noticeable. Here's a short vid that I took because he wouldn't sit still for a photo. The white tip on his long, right anal fin is his normal colouring. The short one is on his left. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfEc0...ature=youtu.be

If it IS finrot, what's my best method of treating him? I don't want to dose his tank because of the shrimp and all the plants but I'm concerned about my ability to heat his hospital tank as I just gave away my small heater to a friend for her betta and I don't think that I can fit it through the opening in the main tank to float it (plus it's glass, therefore heavy).

Housing
What size is your tank? 5gal
What temperature is your tank? 80*F
Does your tank have a filter? Marina S10 Slim (comes with prefilter sponge attached and output flow is super low)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? noop
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 3 red cherry shrimp, 2 assassin snails and an infestation of baby ramshorns and pond snails that the assassins are dealing with. Heavily planted (25 stems hygrophila, suBwassertang, java moss, 6 java ferns, 3 rosettes micro sword).

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? HBH Betta Bites pellets, freeze dried daphnia, bloodworms, mysis
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets am & pm Monday-Saturday, 1-3 (depending on size/type (either or, not all 3)) daphnia/mysis/bloodworm once on Sundays. Fast Sunday nights.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm
pH: 7.4
Hardness: 150ppm
Alkalinity: 100ppm

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? see above and video
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not a bit
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a week ago but thought it was just folded or maybe torn on decor at that time
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? not yet... unless warm water counts
Does your fish have any history of being ill? none
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm guessing 6 months as he was *very* small (less than 1inch long body... now about 1.75inch) when I got him 2 months ago.
Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #2 
Kwomais

bump?
Old 02-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #3 
Kwomais

Anybody?
Old 02-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #4 
Kwomais

Still nobody?
Old 02-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #5 
Viva

Are you talking about his pelvic fins? If it was fin rot you would see a dark outline and ragged appearance of all the fins. It looks like his left pelvic fin got torn on something...possible the filter if it has an uncovered intake. That is what got my betta. After there's damage to a fin there's is a higher chance of fin rot (bacterial infection), so I would put him in a quarantine tank and treat him with ~1tsp of aquarium salt/gallon for no more than 10 days.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #6 
Viva

Also if you can, raise the temp in the quarantine tank to around 82F, just to help speed up the healing. Make sure to acclimate him well to the new temp.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #7 
Kwomais

Yea, I meant pelvic. I don't know why I said anal lol. I'm glad you think it was just torn. I have no idea what he could have torn it on though O.o

So just heat, clean water and Aq salt at tsp/gal then. Should I start slow, like 1/4tsp/gal first day, 1/2 second & then 1 after that or just introduce it slowly?
Old 02-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #8 
Viva

Yes you can do that. I started with 1/2 tsp per gallon. I do a daily water change of 50% or more and add in more salt in higher concentration. I max mine to 2tsp/gallon though, usually keep it at 1 1/2 tsp/gallon. Just make sure to dilute it first so the salt crystals don't burn his already hurt fins :D
Old 02-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #9 
Kwomais

Ok, thank you very much for answering my post. Hopefully his condition will improve.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #10 
Viva

Your welcome, I'm sure he will do great. His home sounds really nice judging by the questions you filled out. I would try to figure out what hurt his fin. It is also possible that its simply a deformity of the fin...I've heard many cases of VT's getting a curled dorsal fin. My HMDT's pelvic fin grew back in all wonky and crooked-like after his bout of fin rot...hes still cute though :D