Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #1 
Limes

Unhappy Sick betta?! Advice please!

Help please!

I just got a betta yesterday.
He has fin rot and some bluish white spots all over his body which I though was a fungal infection.
So were I work they sell melafix and I got that, but then his fins started clumping and he was acting a little weird.
Bumping into the glass and stuff.

So I did some research and found out that it can possibly kill bettas, so I stoped treatment, did a 25% water change and stuck with aquarium salt, this was yesterday.

Buy today I saw his fins a little more clumped and more of these icky spots, and his fin rot seems to be getting worse.

So this morn I did a full water change and treated with aquarium salt.

I think it might be ick??
Or velvet? :(
When I shine a flashlight the spots shine this blueish white color, hes a red betta btw.
Or maybe thats just the way he is?

Ill try and put up pictures if my phone lets me!

Please help me!
I have no clue what to do and I don't want to lose him or over medicate him.

I was thinking of starting him on API stress coat with the aquarium salt, scince I imagine he is stressed with all the water changes and stuff.

Please leave me some advice and thanks!
Limes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Sorry you're having trouble with your 1st Betta. First some questions; what size tank? If it's fltered, how long has been running? Do you have a heater? Are you treating the water with any water conditioner? How often do you normally do water changes & how much water is changed? The smaller the tank the more important it is to do more frequent water changes. Ich will look like he's dusted with sugar, so what you are describing does not sound like ich. If it is Velvet, from what I have read, it is best to raise the temp to 82 or slightly higher (slowly over a 24 hr period), treat with salt, if possible get copper sulphate, keep him in low light/dark area and do LOTS of water changes. You can Google Velvet & get more info. on treatment & cause.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #3 
Limes

Mr. Betta

A few shots that show his "spots".
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

I'm sorry, I'm not seeing anything other than shiny scales. Some Bettas will look different colors in different lighting. Maybe somebody else sees something I don't. When you 1st get a Betta they will take a 2-3 days to settle in, make sure he has CLEAN water & food & he should be OK so long has he's in the proper tank.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #5 
Limes

Hes in a 5gal tank with no filter and no heater, I take the temp three times a day though it its in between 71_79 degrees always. I use water conditioner, betta complete I think it's called. And scince it's not filtered I was going to do two water changes a week 25%-50% water changes, but I've had to do a water change every day for the past three days. And I did google velvet and most site said there's no cure. And may I ask what the copper sulfate helps with? Thanks!

Last edited by Limes; 08-13-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #6 
Limes

Thats normal?! :D
Old 08-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

I don't see anything either.
Copper Sulfate helps with Velvet. There IS a cure for Velvet. You just treat it like Ich. Aquarium Salt for 10 days with daily 100% water changes. Anymore than his organs will start hurting. :( You need to do more water changes. For your regular schedule, you'd have to do 2 50%'s the 1st and 3rd week and a 100% change the 2nd and 4th week.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #8 
Limes

Oh okay! I thought little shinny spots were not normal, but I guess it is. :/ and I'll do water changes like that instead then! Thanks alot guys! Seems I was worrying about nothing xD
Old 08-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

Yeah, some Bettas have that coloring. Velvet and Ich also look different from that. Remember that they're both parasites and there has to be a ton of them until it's classified as that sickness. Keep up with those water changes and he should be fine. :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #10 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post
Hes in a 5gal tank with no filter and no heater, I take the temp three times a day though it its in between 71_79 degrees always. I use water conditioner, betta complete I think it's called. And scince it's not filtered I was going to do two water changes a week 25%-50% water changes, but I've had to do a water change every day for the past three days. And I did google velvet and most site said there's no cure. And may I ask what the copper sulfate helps with? Thanks!
If you can invest in a filter & an adjustable heater they'll help in the long run. You want to keep the temp as steady as possible, large fluctuations can cause health issues. Just something to keep in mind.

Tags
betta, fin holes, finrot, ick, sick