Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #1 
rissah

Is it really that bad?

Okay, I know most people on here will say "you betta needs to be kept in at least a 2 gallon tank ect..." But my whole thing, is it really bad to keep them in a bowl that is 1-1.5 gallons?

I've had two Bettas before, one male and the other female, both common VTs from Wal-Mart of all places. I kept both in I want to say 1.5 bowls, maybe 2, and both lived for several years. Neither had a heater, water conditioner (I let their water sit for at least 24 hours) or anything. I just put stones from Dollar Tree and a fake plant in there with them. I changed their water about 2-3 times a week and fed them once a day.

This topic is not meant to start a war, it's merely to discuss opinions, success stories and the like. I do not want this to turn into a flame war or a post for bashing other members.

Please keep in mind, when I did the above, I was young and knew next to nothing about keeping Bettas or their "requirements."
rissah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #2 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
I really don't like it when someone keeps a betta in less than .. say. . 2.5 gallons, or at least 2. I do have one guy in a 2.5 rectangular (long) tank but he's tiny and has swim bladder problems.

I guess if you were my friend asking my opinion I would say this:

1.)Is it really that much more trouble for you to buy a 2 gallon or bigger?

2.)The bigger aquarium kits are not even necessarily more expensive than the smaller ones sometimes. And you will have to change the water less if you go bigger, especially with a filter.

3.)Why get a pet so you can just create a situation where he "survives" but cannot "thrive"? What is the point? Maybe pets are not for you, then.

4.) You will get much more enjoyment out of seeing a healthy happy fish than one that is bored, depressed, cold, etc. Unhappy or unhealthy pets are never as active or fun to have. They just sort of sit there.

(None of this was said in my head in a rude tone of voice, so don't think I am getting personal or anything. These are just honestly what I would say, and I do understand that sometimes people just don't know better. I didn't at first, either)
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #3 
rissah

1. I cannot say if it would be trouble, but rater perhaps it did not cross one's mind?

2. This is true, but not always the case; in some situations just a couple of dollars can make or break a person. It is true you may have to change the water less, but you have to worry about keeping your filter working and such, and honestly it is much easier to clean a small bowl than a good sized tank.

3. How do you know it's not thriving? That's almost saying someone who doesn't have a large spacious yard for their dog is just letting it survive, and not thrive in a large yard.

4. Again, how do you know they are unhappy (speaking on personal experince) Both of my Bettas were fairly active

I did not take this is as you being rude at all, I expected something at least like this. I myself am neither for nor against keeping a fish in a bowl. If you think about it, that's how people fist started keeping fish before tanks were even developed, and just like everything in life; there are both good and bad things that come with it.
rissah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #4 
MusicArtBettas

I keep my bettas in a 1 and a half gallon split tank. I do use water conditioner, but nothing else, I dont have a filter or a heater. I love my bettas 100%. There are my babies <3
MusicArtBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #5 
megaredize

i honestly wouldnt because seeing my new rescue in a 1 gallon he looks fine in it but hes sooo small hes not full grown. if i had one of my others bettas in it it would drive me nuts watching them swim in such a small space mind you all my bettas have 5 gallons. Plus i like have a cycled tank so i only have to do water changes once a week and do maintenence on the filters. having to do frequent water changes on my rescue is something i wouldnt want to do permantely. but if your willing to clean the smaller tank weekly and do all the water changes then so be it. i only get mad if i see someone with a 1 gallon who does only like 1 water change a week. at that point its not good and can harm the betta
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicArtBettas View Post
I keep my bettas in a 1 and a half gallon split tank. I do use water conditioner, but nothing else, I dont have a filter or a heater. I love my bettas 100%. There are my babies <3
Did you do your research? You can't divide any tank less than a 5 gallon tank. IMO, a 1 gallon tank is already small enough for a Betta. Let alone 2. I highly suggest to get another tank for both of them that's bigger. If they're your "babies" you need to start taking better care of them, get a heater, (Unless you have one) and a thermometer. (Unless you have one) If you really LOVE them, you need to start taking better care of them.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #7 
MusicArtBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Did you do your research? You can't divide any tank less than a 5 gallon tank. IMO, a 1 gallon tank is already small enough for a Betta. Let alone 2. I highly suggest to get another tank for both of them that's bigger. If they're your "babies" you need to start taking better care of them, get a heater, (Unless you have one) and a thermometer. (Unless you have one) If you really LOVE them, you need to start taking better care of them.
Well, they are active.. and I dont see abything wrong? I asked a betta fish breeder, and they said I dont need any of that except water conditioner. Plus, please do not tell me , that they arnt really my babies or I dont really love them, cause I do. /:
Old 08-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

I know you love them, I was just stating a fact. Sorry if I was blunt. :( Ammonia would build up too quickly in there and well, they get sick easily. Well, that breeder was wrong. When was your last water change? And Bettas can hide their sicknesses by still acting active. But I presume that it's a new setup.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #9 
MusicArtBettas

Well, I change and clean the tank every week and the new setup is a month old. I feel as if they will live long. I worked really hard to get them soo...
Old 08-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #10 
megaredize

@MusicArtBettas it would be best if you separated them, you could take that divider out and have that tank for one and then buy another identical tank and have that for the other. so you still have smaller tanks that will be easy for you too care for. i think with a tank this size 1 100% water change and clean once a week then two 50% water changes in the week is a good cleaning plan. A heater would benefit them greatly, they will live even longer. I have a 8 watt heater in my 1 gallon quarantine tank so it can be done. you just also need a thermometer to make sure the heat is stable. thermometer are very cheap. and i know those 1 gallons are fairly inexpensive. If you choose not to separate them i would encourage you to do more water changes during the week
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote