Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #1 
Arashi Takamine

Is he in shock?

Hello everyone before you copy and paste the forum for the tank requirements/heat ect I can give it all to you right here and please don't overlook the information just to get me to post it.

My fish Lelouch is in a 3 gallon tank with a submersible heater. Last week we had a power outage and we didn't realize his heater had been unplugged. He went with cold water for almost a week and today we did an emergency water change realizing it. We had no time to put him in the same water he was in since he really was acting lethargic and scared and slow. We put him in a cup of conditioned water that was warm and he acted more...Active. But then we realized his tank was too hot in acclimating him so we emptied part of the tank again and refilled it with partially cold water to bring it to 78.

The last water change was today and was 100 percent. He's acting a little sluggish and his colors seem off. I know he's stressed out but he ate something and spat it out in dust and let it hit him in the face and stayed still for the longest time...If he's in shock is there anything I can do for him?

And please PLEASE PLEASE don't make me do that form I have no time to do it.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #2 
Arashi Takamine

Please. I'm really worried about him. Someone please help me.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #3 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Don't worry! But you should have slowly acclimated him to the warm water, so he wouldn't go into shock. Besides that, your doing everything right :)

Frequent water changes and warm water should bring his appetite and activity level up :)

Wish you the best, and post his progress!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #4 
Arashi Takamine

I honestly admit I panicked. So far he's still a little sluggish but he ate a little. (spat out a bit of it and let it hit him in the face.) He's hanging around by his heater and flared at his least favorite item. The camera. His color's coming back too but he's still a little shyish.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #5 
Tikibirds

Maybe he just needs some time to recover a bit? Try keeping him in a dark location to reduce stress for the night
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Try not feeding him for a couple days, that should help his appetite & reduce any wasted food. He probably just needs a day or two to adjust to what's happened.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #7 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi Takamine View Post
I honestly admit I panicked. So far he's still a little sluggish but he ate a little. (spat out a bit of it and let it hit him in the face.) He's hanging around by his heater and flared at his least favorite item. The camera. His color's coming back too but he's still a little shyish.
Those are good signs he's recovering
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #8 
GreyHounD

My advice is Less Touchy and more Watchy ^^.

It maybe that water flow/ change is stressing him.
Let it rest for sometime and just observe him.
GreyHounD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #9 
Arashi Takamine

Thank you everyone for your thoughts.

Yes he's back to his old self pretty much. I just turned out his light for the night and he's asleep now on his little dragon statue. He was flaring at me earlier, flitted around and is doing a lot better. I'll hold back on the food since he's never readily hungry anyways. (Always been like that. He eats when he's good and ready) I'm just glad he's doing better.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:45 AM   #10 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi Takamine View Post
Thank you everyone for your thoughts.

Yes he's back to his old self pretty much. I just turned out his light for the night and he's asleep now on his little dragon statue. He was flaring at me earlier, flitted around and is doing a lot better. I'll hold back on the food since he's never readily hungry anyways. (Always been like that. He eats when he's good and ready) I'm just glad he's doing better.
Glad to hear he's better. One thing I've learned is to sit back & watch for a little bit before getting panicky.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote