Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2012, 05:25 AM   #11 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Ouch! Thirteen hours!! I'm betting that is your problem right there. Any longer than 10 hours (without CO2) and most people have problems with algae. Try limiting the light to under 7 hours. I have my tank lights on timers so I can closely monitor how much light they get. It's eliminate a bad problem I had with algae in one of my 10 gal divided tanks. It took a few months, but the tank is now algae free.
Well looks like we found the problem, or hopefully most the problem out then XD i'm new to plants- maybe people can make a how-to thread for real plants (care)! :D

Anyway- is it possible to find a timer that will turn on and off when needed for like a week straight? Or something like that? I don't leave the room for a week straight, it'd just be nice for it to be on the timer so the fish wont get stressed out since my schedule is really wacko- and random- it will also be easier for me ^^

omg, youtube had a video of like a custom light LED that the timer would turn on at night, and a plant light for the day time. I was TOTALLY amazed- I wonder if LED lighting would stress the fish if used at night or shall I limit it to 7 hours of any kind of light inside the tank? My room light is on for 12-14 hours.... Hum. Hmmmmmm~ do tell me what you think I need ^^
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #12 
thekoimaiden

There actually is a how-to guide for plants, but it's on the TFK side of the site. Byron wrote it. If you want to read it, here is the link to the first page: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/a...um-part-34861/ Maybe we should put that in the betta plant subforum.

My timers are 24-hour timers, so each tank gets the exact same amount of light a day. I found them at Walmart for like $5 a piece. Each one is a little different, but they all come with instructions. My room lights are on usually until about 1a in the morning (well my desk lamp is, I turn off the large overhead light around 11p). So don't worry about the room lights being on a while. It's the aquarium light that contributes to the algae problem.

I'm actually looking into moonlight LEDs for my larger tanks. I love that idea! But in your case, I would wait until you have the algae under control to start playing with those.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #13 
LugiaChan

Quote:
There actually is a how-to guide for plants, but it's on the TFK side of the site. Byron wrote it. If you want to read it, here is the link to the first page: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/a...um-part-34861/ Maybe we should put that in the betta plant subforum.

My timers are 24-hour timers, so each tank gets the exact same amount of light a day. I found them at Walmart for like $5 a piece. Each one is a little different, but they all come with instructions. My room lights are on usually until about 1a in the morning (well my desk lamp is, I turn off the large overhead light around 11p). So don't worry about the room lights being on a while. It's the aquarium light that contributes to the algae problem.

I'm actually looking into moonlight LEDs for my larger tanks. I love that idea! But in your case, I would wait until you have the algae under control to start playing with those.
I agree with the addition :D

Ugh, a 24 hour timer just wont work for me, I need something much longer...

I added his plants as I stated before, when I came home and turned his lights on he was fine. But after ten minutes passed, he flaired and started going all crazy again. I am not feeling like this is working at all. I don't feel more plants might even solve the issue right now. X_x oy yoy yoy.... he's angry the lights are off again too. I kind of am thinking of giving him to a better owner.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:59 AM   #14 
thekoimaiden

Why won't a 24-hour timer work? I used them when I was gone for 10 days in Europe. Never had a problem. Do you want the light to be on at different times on different days?

Did you add any floating plants?
Old 08-15-2012, 02:10 AM   #15 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Why won't a 24-hour timer work? I used them when I was gone for 10 days in Europe. Never had a problem. Do you want the light to be on at different times on different days?

Did you add any floating plants?
Ohhh... Floating plants will help with the stress for sure? ^^ alright I really wanted one or more water lillies for my tank. I bet they're common and I can use typically any type of water lilly?

Oh, I thought with the 24 hour timer you had to click a button every 12 hours to set it and make it go for 24 hours and handle it again once it runs out. I am happy if I am wrong :) thanks so much!
Old 08-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #16 
thekoimaiden

If you can find a water lily small enough to fit in a tank it might work; most of them get rather large. Anarcharis will float happily as will hornwort. Water sprite is probably my favorite floating plant. Duckweed is another floater, but it doesn't block out the light like the others.

The 24-hour timers don't have any switch you have to press. They allow you to set the time for a single 24-hour day. As opposed to a week-long timer which would allow you to have specific time schedules for each day. You should be able to find these in the lighting section of your local Home Depot or Walmart. I found some really great ones for just $5.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #17 
LugiaChan

Quote:
If you can find a water lily small enough to fit in a tank it might work; most of them get rather large. Anarcharis will float happily as will hornwort. Water sprite is probably my favorite floating plant. Duckweed is another floater, but it doesn't block out the light like the others.

The 24-hour timers don't have any switch you have to press. They allow you to set the time for a single 24-hour day. As opposed to a week-long timer which would allow you to have specific time schedules for each day. You should be able to find these in the lighting section of your local Home Depot or Walmart. I found some really great ones for just $5.
Ah that should work ^^ thanks.
(why do I distaste popular/common plants so much)....
Old 08-16-2012, 12:11 AM   #18 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Perseus didnt like the light that came with his tank hood either till I added some Hornwort that floats up top on the water now he desnt mind the light being on at all.
Also he attacked the Hornwort when I first put in in there but after a few hours he was okay and now loves to sleep in it. So if you could get some Hornwort you should try that and its a nice pretty green plant I love it !
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:54 AM   #19 
LugiaChan

Quote:

I decided to test the shade theory, I added in a large piece of cardboard to cover half of the tank from the just under the light. He started to go crazy again, his stuff was all on the brighter side. I just now moved his stuff to the shaded part and he was VERY happy. When I moved his plants back into the lighted area, he's gone mad again and calms down when in the shaded section. But he constantly swims to the lighted side and avoids the shade. What the heck..... He's flaring at the sides of the tank on the lighted side -_-

Alright, now I added another piece of cardboard, it's now pretty much 3/4 shaded and 1/4 light where the plants are. He started to calm down, but now is flaring up again angrily as if the light reminds him of his rival twin or something. He is still calmer than before- until he goes into the lighted area. He has an ongoing love/hate relationship with that light. X.x constantly wants to be there, yet constantly hating or flaring at it. I'm starting to think he sees reflections when he's in the light yet my room light is on. There's a lot of hiding areas, not as much as i'd like for him but he has two giant leaves in, a hiding cave and his plants- he just stays at the top of the tank at the lighted area flaring. Hm..............
Old 08-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #20 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugiaChan View Post
I decided to test the shade theory, I added in a large piece of cardboard to cover half of the tank from the just under the light. He started to go crazy again, his stuff was all on the brighter side. I just now moved his stuff to the shaded part and he was VERY happy. When I moved his plants back into the lighted area, he's gone mad again and calms down when in the shaded section. But he constantly swims to the lighted side and avoids the shade. What the heck..... He's flaring at the sides of the tank on the lighted side -_-

Alright, now I added another piece of cardboard, it's now pretty much 3/4 shaded and 1/4 light where the plants are. He started to calm down, but now is flaring up again angrily as if the light reminds him of his rival twin or something. He is still calmer than before- until he goes into the lighted area. He has an ongoing love/hate relationship with that light. X.x constantly wants to be there, yet constantly hating or flaring at it. I'm starting to think he sees reflections when he's in the light yet my room light is on. There's a lot of hiding areas, not as much as i'd like for him but he has two giant leaves in, a hiding cave and his plants- he just stays at the top of the tank at the lighted area flaring. Hm..............
I think the cardboard is creating an eclipse more than shade. Maybe try using something that will dull the light as apposed to blocking the light all together. Like, cheese cloth or some type of sheer fabric. I have Anacharis that grew tall enough to bendover and block the light a bit without making the tank seem like have night half day.

Bluegreen algae is usually from having the light on for too long and you already got great advice on how to fix it. However, if you do decrease the time your lights are on and then get brown algae, that usually means your bulb is too old to give off light your plants can use. I think you can get a good 6 months out of a bulb before it needs to be changed. I get about 8 months out of my lights, but i have low light plants instead of high light plants.

I figured now would be a good time to warn you that even if you can see the light, your plants may not be able to use it while algae can.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote