Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #1 
ukandy

Question A few questions.

Hi eveyone so i got a new tank for tango to stay in a while. Its 13 litres. It has a small sponge filter which i have slowed slightly with an air valve, i filled it with tank water from my larger tank which had a water change yesterday. How soon can i add Tango? Do i have to cycle the tank or will the old water be ok? I will obviously check parameters before i add him I also need ideas on how to light the tank, it has a clear plastic lid. He needs his new home ASAP as hes stressed in my divided tank so any advice is welcome if i have to wait the cycle out i will... gladly.
ukandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #2 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukandy View Post
Hi eveyone so i got a new tank for tango to stay in a while. Its 13 litres. It has a small sponge filter which i have slowed slightly with an air valve, i filled it with tank water from my larger tank which had a water change yesterday. How soon can i add Tango? Do i have to cycle the tank or will the old water be ok? I will obviously check parameters before i add him I also need ideas on how to light the tank, it has a clear plastic lid. He needs his new home ASAP as hes stressed in my divided tank so any advice is welcome if i have to wait the cycle out i will... gladly.
The tank will need cycled because there is a new filter. Very few beneficial bacteria live in the water itself, most live in the filter and gravel. If you can, add your old gravel into the new tank. This should speed up the cycling process. You can do a fish-in cycle just please read up on how to do it safely here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771

Good luck!
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #3 
ukandy

hi thanks for the reply. i will wait for it to cycle before i move him as he is ok in his mansion for the time being. i will add some filter media from my filters to try and speed it up a little. Lighting ideas anyone?
Old 08-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #4 
PaintedOaksOki

If you have a lamp that can go overhead, that may work, depending on the lamp.
PaintedOaksOki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #5 
ukandy

Thanks for the replies, ive added some white LEDs to light the tank and added filter media.