Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #1 
prodrumernate

good "algae eaters" with betta and other fish

i have 1 male betta along with 4 rosy red minnows aka fathead minnows..

10 gallon fully cycled.filtered with 2 filters,live and fake plants,hiding places,temp kept around 78 degrees.

what are some good algae eaters i can put in there?im starting to have atleast 2 different types of algae...brown and green spot..

my tank can handle the extra bioload if not more than like 2 or 3 fish.

i dont care if its snails,fish,or shrimp.anything that will get along with my betta and can fit in a 10 gallon and not have to worry about it out growing.and most importantly something that will help control the algae.so i dont have to tear the tank apart just to clean it every day..if that makes sense :)
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #2 
MSG

I was going to get one of these Siamese algae eaters, but not anymore. 6" is too big.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...86&pcatid=1086

These guys. The otocats. Try to wait till they're on special for $1 before you get them.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...923&pcatid=923

I'll be using snails. Just the annoying pest ones.

I just noticed a bunch of baby snails a couple hours ago when I got home. A mix of trumpet snails, ramhorn & pond ones as well.

I just released my best snail hunter into the tank to take care of the problem. Senetti only had 1 fruit fly all day since I was away so she should be mighty hungry.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #3 
prodrumernate

i was actually thinking of the oto's..i looked up at my LPS and they are cheap which is currently good.im still waiting on news about a job if ill start next week or not.but havent heard anything new.

so im down to my last dollar.i surly dont wana wait until the algae is so bad i spend a week cleaning and everything.but do want something to "help" control it.but not too expensive.i think the oto's get like up to 2 inches.

i wanted a snail but read they breed like crazy.i never had any so wasnt too sure.a fruit fly is a tasty treat for them im sure :)
Old 08-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #4 
ukandy

Ive used Ottos ok and have a few Nerite snails as their eggs dont hatch in freshwater but the eggs can get annoying to clean so id advise lighter tank decor. Chinese algae eaters get too large and are aggresive i think.
ukandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #5 
prodrumernate

i like the oto's...i woldnt have to worry bout them over stocking.and my ph might be a little too low for a nails after looking up info on nerite snails.hmmm...maybe ill give an oto a try
Old 08-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #6 
KukaaKatchou

I have two Otos and they are great! I thought 3 might be too much for my tank, but I've heard 3 or more is good. My 2 zip around and are great fun to watch
KukaaKatchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #7 
ukandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodrumernate View Post
i like the oto's...i woldnt have to worry bout them over stocking.and my ph might be a little too low for a nails after looking up info on nerite snails.hmmm...maybe ill give an oto a try

Well i'm a BAD fishkeeper!!! This post made me look into them a little more and now realise my mistake in keeping them. My ph is 6.8, too low for the snails Its 11.10pm here in the UK and now i've got to do an emergency water change to save my snails. (The almond leaves change my normal ph of 7 to 6.8) Will a jump back to 7 right now harm them?
ukandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #8 
Aus

Shrimp. I keep them in all my (heavily planted) betta tanks, and top up the population as they get picked off. Two of my bettas are incredibly aggressive and territorial hunters (my plakat killed one fishy tank mate already, and freaked out over a large snail sharing his space, almost turned himself inside out with rage, the big mook) .. but even so they have a hard time catching all the shrimp.

The shrimp keep most algae varieties down without having a big bioload, and my fish are all super healthy and fat (not pot bellied, I mean good body weight) and are never bored, from hunting and snacking on them.

Oh, just read the algae types.. brown and green spot. Do you mean diatoms, with the brown stuff? Like dust, all over? Shrimps will eat that - and baby ramshorns are cleaning up a little diatom staining on plants in my new NPT right now. Diatoms are often caused by too much silicate material in the water and also tend to appear during a cycle.. water changes can reduce that, until it goes away.

Snails are great at getting gunk off glass, anyhow.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #9 
prodrumernate

i just went and got 1 oto..all i could afford but i need them.i checked my tank this morning,algae everywhere.so i know ive got plenty of food.plus i have algae wafers as well :) i just now put him in.along with my male betta and 4 rosy red minnows.the girl at the store said they are schooling fish and asked if i had more.ill eventually add another or so later.i have my lights very very low to help rid of the algae as well..
Old 08-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #10 
prodrumernate

if u do a water change it should bring the ph back backup.i didnt know about the ph level they need until i did a little more reearch and decided to check the type of water needed.i was kinda sad.i know they populate a lot and fast.but i could always give some away and or just destroy the eggs.

i think they can handle lower ph but not too much.i think they need like 8.1...something like that.