Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #1 
PaintedOaksOki

A Balanced Diet

I was curious about what a good, balanced diet would be for a betta. I know for pellets NLS and Omega One, are good brands, but we do not have NLS in my area.

I was also curious about what different brands were good, we have Aqueon available in my area, too. This is part of my main question, as I've heard having a variety in their diet is good?
PaintedOaksOki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #2 
teeneythebetta

I do not reccomend aqueon. I do not like their ingredients label at all!

I dont know of any other good brands besides NLS & omega one... Variety is good for their diet.

You can also give your betta some frozen bloodworms as a treat, I give my betta bloodworms once a week.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #3 
PaintedOaksOki

What are frozen bloodworms like to deal with? I for one am quite squeamish over the ordeal of dealing with tiny worm like things, and such. I mean, I'm sure I'd get over it, but if they are just, nasty, I don't think I could do it >.< I have FD blood worms, but I'm not to fond of giving my betta those, as they can cause bloat!
Old 08-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #4 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedOaksOki View Post
What are frozen bloodworms like to deal with? I for one am quite squeamish over the ordeal of dealing with tiny worm like things, and such. I mean, I'm sure I'd get over it, but if they are just, nasty, I don't think I could do it >.< I have FD blood worms, but I'm not to fond of giving my betta those, as they can cause bloat!
I too am not a fan of creepy things. But they're not bad to deal with. They are very small and I just use a butter knife and feed them to her.

They come in a package of cubes. I take a cube and put it in a plastic bag and let it thaw. That way it's in a thin layer in the bag and easy to remove.

Theyre only about a centimeter or so long.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #5 
PaintedOaksOki

Ah ok, maybe I'll pick some up... I'll have to keep them in the downstairs fridge/freezer because I'm not sure my mom will appreciate the whole, frozen worms in the fridge xD Plus, my room is downstairs, so it'll all work out! I'll have to stop by Petland, and pick some up, my Petsmart doesn't have a freezer, atleast, I think they don't! So you just chop the cube up afterwards?
Old 08-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

A balanced diet would be like all kinds of foods. Flakes, pellets, live, frozen, freeze-dried. I feed flakes every other day, NLS pellets as staple, and FD bloodworms as treats during the weekend. I also fast after the weekend. ;) They're not gross, they're dead and it's for your Betta's satisfaction. :D
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedOaksOki View Post
Ah ok, maybe I'll pick some up... I'll have to keep them in the downstairs fridge/freezer because I'm not sure my mom will appreciate the whole, frozen worms in the fridge xD Plus, my room is downstairs, so it'll all work out! I'll have to stop by Petland, and pick some up, my Petsmart doesn't have a freezer, atleast, I think they don't! So you just chop the cube up afterwards?
Haha my mom hates them being in the freezer but she deals with it xD
My petsmart's have freezers and my petco. I got my bloodworms at petco, $5 for a big package. You can chop it up but I like thawing it so I can just pick up the worms one by one
Old 08-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #8 
PaintedOaksOki

Ah, I think I might have to chop it up, dead things creep me out too... xD oh well.

Oh yes! And fasting, that slipped my mind, I'll have to pick a fasting day... It'll probably be best for me to make schedule on Excel, or Word.

*Sigh* I wish my area had NLS, they seem like a good brand, that everyone loves... Maybe they only sell in the US, and other places? I live in Canada, and we miss out on a lot >.< We don't have any Petco's up here either... Oh well xD
What brands of flakes do you recomend? I have some betta flakes, that came with a starter kit... Nutrafin Max, first two indgridients are krill, and fish meal.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

I feed him Aqueon Tropical Flakes. XD A while before I bought Lebron thought about buying tropical fish so I bought that. I didn't buy them so I just use it as variety flakes. xD Not sure about Canada, but I'm in the U.S. (>.<) The 1st 3 ingredients have to be fish related. Like Whole Herring Meal, Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, etc.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #10 
PaintedOaksOki

hrmm... I think it is, but didn't bother looking at it really hard... *goes back and looks*