Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #1 
pingerau

Unhappy > 6.0 ph help

Hello everyone.

I have a 1 gallon tank and just checked the ph level of the water. The meter reads just a fraction below 6.0.

I understand this maybe too low for Ken so how should I increase the ph ?

Should I put in a tiny bit of baking soda to increase it ?
Can I do this with Ken still in the tank ?

Thanks people in advance.
Attached Images

Last edited by pingerau; 08-14-2012 at 09:39 AM.
pingerau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #2 
shellieca

WATER CHANGE will bring the Ph up to what you're tap's Ph is, if your tap Ph is higher. Do you know your taps Ph level? I wouldn't try to adjust the Ph as this can cause more problems than its worth. It is best to let the Ph remain stable, most fish species will adjust with no problems. Is this 1g tank filtered? With a Ph that low you probably don't have BB so you will need to make sure to do frequent water changes.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #3 
pingerau

Yes the tank is filtered and has some java fern and moss.
I change the water once a week. Approx 30% every time.
I'm worried his fins are burning as they are bad compared to when I first got him.

Should I get some crushed coral and add that tomorrow ?
Old 08-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #4 
Aus

He needs more water changes, definitely. Like, 3-4x 50% per week -minimum- changes in a tank that size. That's why his fins are degrading, high ammonia exposure makes fish prone to fin rot. It'll be ammonia from lack of adequate water changing, and not the ph, that's affecting his fins.

Don't mess with your ph. Test your tap water. If your tap water's at 6 or w/e, leave the tank alone. Bettas evolved in low ph water and can actually stand quite soft water. Sudden changes to ph are far worse for your fish than exposure to a certain level long-term.

That's why you need to test your tap water. If something, an ornament or the stones in the bottom, are drastically changing the pH level compared to the tap water, large water changes could shock him.

If that's the case (tap water being very different to tank water), I'd take everything out and put it all in separate plastic containers and test the pH of all those containers after a week.. that'll tell you what's lowering the pH, if it's not that way out of the tap.

(I'd make the water changes after removing the stones, etc, quite small and frequent over a few days, to help the fish get used to to the new water chemistry)

Last edited by Aus; 08-14-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #5 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingerau View Post
Yes the tank is filtered and has some java fern and moss.
I change the water once a week. Approx 30% every time.
I'm worried his fins are burning as they are bad compared to when I first got him.

Should I get some crushed coral and add that tomorrow ?

Ahhh, a high Ph is not going to cause fin rot which is what it sounds like, at least not that I've ever heard. Your Ph should be within the range of 7.4-8.4. A 30% water change weekly for a 1g tank is not enough. At the very least there should be a 100% water change once a week. Most people with a tank that small will do one 50% water change AND a 100% water change weekly. His health will GREATLY improve if you do water changes. While he is healing I would suggest doing at a 50% water change every other day with a 100% complete change once a week, at least for the next week or two. Once he's healed up you can cut back, but again at the very least he needs a weekly 100% water change. Clean water will do more to help him heal & keep him healthy than anything else. I would also suggest you look into getting him a minimum of a 5g tank, I prefer 10g but a 5 is much better than a 1g.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #6 
pingerau

thanks for all the response.
i will definitely start changing the water on a more frequent basis now.

Also this might sound stupid but a 100% water change means removing everything out and replacing all the water from the tank or can i still leave a little bit in there so 5 - 10% and replace the remainder with new water.

I just ask because i also have a cherry shrimp in there and i'm worried by changing the water 100% i might accident kill him.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #7 
shellieca

I think you need a bigger tank. 1g isn't big enough for a Betta & shrimp, at least not in my opinion. Since that's what you have, do as big of a water change as you can safely manage. At a minimum 2-3 50% water changes per week. 5g aquariums don't take up a lot of room & a lot of times you can find the kit (aquarium, light hood, filter, heater) on sale. I know a lot of people find really good deals on Craigslist so you might check that out. Please look into getting something bigger, your fish & shrimp will stay healthier & happier.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yes you can leave enough water in to cover the shrimp and the Betta when you do water changes. Just be sure and keep up with water changes like everyone has said and leave the ph alone. Do you have a heater or what is the temp of your water ? When you do water changes make sure the new conditioned water is the same or close as possible to the temp of the water they are in.

Also I agree having them both in that small of tank is not a good idea, if you can manage a upgrade or bigger tank you should get one. Ken would love to have more room to swim in and you would enjoy watching him being more active, you both win and are happier !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:02 AM   #9 
pingerau

a very big thanks to everyones advice,

atm i wont be able to upgrade the tank, but it will be something ill look into in the next few months.

i do have a heater, the temp sits at approx 21degrees one of the marina c10 10w submersible heaters

what i will do is increase the frequency of water change and hope to see some improvement over the next month or so.

one last question. i was thinking of using aq salt to help him heal, but i have read aq salt maybe bad for the plants. is this true ?

Thanks again
Old 08-15-2012, 06:40 AM   #10 
shellieca

First thank tou for being open minded to our suggestions. Aq salt harming plants depends on the type of plants. Also remember you don't want to use the salt for long as it can eventually harm your fish. Make sure you use the right dosage, 1 tsp per gallon, if I remember correctly. Dissolve it in a cup before you add it to the tank. The main thing that's going to help him is keeping his water clean.

Tags
ph down, ph up