Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #1 
twin

Salt

was wondering if Sea Salt and Aquarium salt are the same...need to add some to water of a sick fish.
twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #2 
lelei

Hello and Welcome, What is wrong with your fishy? there are different illnesses that may or may not require a salt treatment, so if you can post a pic, or if you can describe what your sick fishy looks like (colorwise) or if it's a fin rot issue..I am not sure about sea salt, usually the salt used for treatment, of external issues is Aquarium salt.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #3 
twin

I have two fish that are not feeling well.....one has red balls on the bottom fins and I was told it was blood and he wants to eat all the time but he darts and jerks, sometimes swims backwards or lays at the top of the bowl, his fins are all ragged looking and holds them close to his body unless he is swimming. The other one who is a marble just lays at the bottom of his tank and comes up for air and doesn't care about eating. And he has ragged fins now...

Last edited by twin; 08-14-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #4 
lelei

I think you may have to fill out a form, to give some precise info, I am going to post it here, answer the questions as best as you can..
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49160
Old 08-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #5 
twin

Housing
What size is your tank? 2-3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? house is kept at 77`
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets, flakes dried worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 4 weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? all but a 1/4
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? stresscoat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? yes, don't know, she just said it was fine.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? ragged fins, droplets of blood on ends of bottom fins.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? darting, swims jerky sometimes, and backwards
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 1 week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? betta fix
Does your fish have any history of being ill? new fish
How old is your fish (approximately)? They were in a 3 gallon container and 2 gallon bowl....no heater but I do use a filter. I use stress coat when I change the water and last time I added some sea salt. I change the water every 4 weeks. Feed them flakes, dried worms and pellets for bettas.
I've had Bettas for years and never had this problem, had the water tested and she said it was fine. I did notice filming substance hanging off some plants in bowl and when I disturb the water all this white filmy stuff starts floating all over in just one of the bowls.

Last edited by twin; 08-14-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #6 
lelei

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Wrong one, I apologize..
Old 08-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #7 
twin

That's ok, hope my answers help you. I'm going to take the bettafix back to the store and quit using it but thought I would just try the salt. I have Sea Salt at home but not Aquarium salt, was wondering if it is the same thing anyway.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #8 
PaintedOaksOki

You should be changing your water my regularly in a 2-3 gallon, when my five gallon was up and running before, it was filtered, and cycled and I did a %50 percent water change a week. I can't recomend a good schedule for water changes for you as I have no experience with that size of bowl/tank.
PaintedOaksOki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #9 
lelei

Ok, so If I am understanding this correctly, you are changing 1/4 of the tank once a month, (uggh) that is the reason why they get sick..for a 2-3 gallon size, you will need to change 1/2 1x per week, and 1 100% weekly and for proper temperature 77 is ok, but I would apply a heater to maintain it to a 78 degree level, and keep up with the water changes, in a smaller size tank, under 5gal.. water changes should be 2-3x per week, at best, and feed a high protein diet, and not so many FReeze dried bw's they cause bloat..those are for a 1x a week treat, or bi/wkly at best..
Old 08-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #10 
twin

no, I only add 1/4 of the old water to the 3/4 new water. I was told to always include some of the old water to bacterial reasons...so you are saying not to add some of the old water to new water but instead do a 100% water change weekly??
Ok, I'll try changing the water weekly with no salt and only give bloodworms once a week for a treat.
Thank You for all your help.

Last edited by twin; 08-14-2012 at 12:33 PM.