Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #1 
bookworm718

Fin Rot and Ripped Tail

Hello - I got a betta about a week ago and the water it was kept in from the store was rather miserable. Because of that, he developed fin rot and it progressed about four millimeters up a single part of his tail pretty quickly. Thankfully, it was confined to a very small strip of his tail, and after a few water changes (one every two days) it's stopped. BUT the fin rot is still visible on his tail. It's no longer "eating up" his tail, but it's still there.

At the same time, I realized a few days ago that he had a very thin (about two millimeters wide) strip of his tail that suddenly became detached from the main part of his tail. I checked his plants and nothing is sharp (although the plants are plastic) but I'm concerned about it and don't know how to fix it.

I have the TOP FIN dual Betta kit. It's a 7.69 in. L x 4.38 in W x 5.07 in H tank and it's made to fit two bettas (with a screen of glass in between two separate tanks. I really want to get another betta but I don't want to until I know that the tank is okay and the other fish is alright.

Also, does anyone have tips for water changes?! My friend suggested using distilled water, but I'm not sure where to get it or if I can afford it. I've been letting filtered tap water sit out for over 24 hours with the proper amount of water conditioner.
bookworm718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #2 
Aus

At the same time, I realized a few days ago that he had a very thin (about two millimeters wide) strip of his tail that suddenly became detached from the main part of his tail. I checked his plants and nothing is sharp (although the plants are plastic) but I'm concerned about it and don't know how to fix it.

--- Very clean water will help this all to heal. I mean, ZERO ammonia. Have you a test kit, to check for ammonia? If not, get one. If you don't want to, then change your water adequately according to tank size.

-- If the rot starts to progress again, or your fish looks lethargic/fuzzy/cloudy eyed/and or sick in general, try 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon for a week, changing the water 100% every second day. If there's no improvement after a week or so, it's time to look at gram-negative antibiotics.

-- If the rot suddenly advances quickly or your fish looks very ill indeed, get antibiotics, skip the salt.

I have the TOP FIN dual Betta kit. It's a 7.69 in. L x 4.38 in W x 5.07 in H tank and it's made to fit two bettas

-- No, it isn't. It's a horrible little undersized deathbox not fit for one betta. It was, if this is at all a sane world, made for two rather stunted shrimp and then some greedy muppet decided to market it to beginner fishkeepers for fish. Not two bettas. Nosiree bob.

(with a screen of glass in between two separate tanks. I really want to get another betta but I don't want to until I know that the tank is okay and the other fish is alright.

-- It's not okay. Really.

Also, does anyone have tips for water changes?!

-- In that tank? Daily. If you get a bigger tank, you won't have to work so hard at changing the water all the time to avoid your fish getting ammonia poisoning or some hideous disease.

My friend suggested using distilled water, but I'm not sure where to get it or if I can afford it.

-- Distilled water will starve your fish of necessary minerals. Tap water's fine.

I've been letting filtered tap water sit out for over 24 hours with the proper amount of water conditioner.

-- No need to filter the tap water, dechlorinator's all you need. Letting the water sit will help the ph to settle a bit, I like to do that with my smaller tanks that need very frequent and/or large water changes

I ought to add an apology if I sounded rather brusque up there, regarding tank size. This site champions very small tanks, a bit. I choose to risk incurring the wrath of the dinky-tanks-r-us populace to state - under one gallon is NOT adequate space for a fish. It just is not. It's some really hard work for the owner, and/or it sucks wholly for the fish -- and that's just how it is.

I think one gallon is not enough, to be honest. But some dedicated folks do manage to keep those clean with rigorous effort. However, many do not and many sick fish are the result.

Last edited by Aus; 08-14-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #3 
bookworm718

Wanted to reply and let you know how he's doing:

Much better.

I couldn't replace the tank, mostly because I don't have money to do so. But I'm not going to bring in another betta, so I hope that does at least some good.

I got bettafix and have been replacing his water daily (or every other day, on occassion). He had a few other problems, with his fins being shredded by the plant that came with the aquarium (I replaced it with a wide-leaf plant) and he had started to nibble at one of his fins. However, he's stopped and his behavior seems to be much better. It's in line with the positive behavior I've found listed on this site and many others. He's even made a bubble nest.

So, for the most part, all is well. His fin is almost completely healed.
bookworm718 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin rot, tail, tail problems, tank, water