Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #1 
cjschmelzer909

My first filter

Just got the Aqueon QuietFlow10 for my 5.5 gallon tank. The tank was clouding up in like a little over 24 hours so I figured this was something I needed. So I got a couple questions...

What should be my water change schedule now? How long does it take to start cycling? What do I do once it does start cycling?
cjschmelzer909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

your tank will immediately cycle when you turn on the filter. The cloudiness in the water is most likely a beneficial bacterial bloom, meaning your filter is salting to grow beneficial bacteria.A typical cycle can take anywhere from 4-8 weeks. A cycle has become stable when your ammonia reads zero, nitrite reads zero, and nitrate isn't above 20 ppm.

I am not quite sure about water change schedules, but it should be very frequent.

Good luck!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #3 
cjschmelzer909

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
your tank will immediately cycle when you turn on the filter. The cloudiness in the water is most likely a beneficial bacterial bloom, meaning your filter is salting to grow beneficial bacteria.A typical cycle can take anywhere from 4-8 weeks. A cycle has become stable when your ammonia reads zero, nitrite reads zero, and nitrate isn't above 20 ppm.

I am not quite sure about water change schedules, but it should be very frequent.

Good luck!
So are you saying the cloudiness wasn't necessarily a bad thing?

it SHOULD or SHOULDN'T be frequent? Just wanna make sure it's not a typo lol

And I was told by Lebron, I believe, that I still need to make make 100% water changes until the cycle is stable, correct?
cjschmelzer909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #4 
jenjen182

The cloudiness is natural- it must be cycled first. If it still is cloudy after being cycled, try rinsing the filter down. There might be a little collection of dust sitting inside ruining your water.
jenjen182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjschmelzer909 View Post
So are you saying the cloudiness wasn't necessarily a bad thing?

it SHOULD or SHOULDN'T be frequent? Just wanna make sure it's not a typo lol

And I was told by Lebron, I believe, that I still need to make make 100% water changes until the cycle is stable, correct?
Actually I told you that if the tank is going under or is cycled, you don't have to do 100% changes. The bacteria will die if you do one so don't. Sorry for the confusion.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

So a bacteria bloom HAS to happen when beneficial bacteria is growing? I never experienced that when I set up my sponge filter. Then again, I have a pH of 6.5. :/
Old 08-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #7 
jenjen182

I don't think so-how long have you owned this tank? It could just be a beginning bloom.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjen182 View Post
I don't think so-how long have you owned this tank? It could just be a beginning bloom.
You're asking me, right? Cause I don't know who you you were targeting. :D Well, I bought the filter on or near August 2nd. There isn't any cloudiness or anything. I'm afraid of spikes so I do water changes when I feel like it.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #9 
jenjen182

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
You're asking me, right? Cause I don't know who you you were targeting. :D Well, I bought the filter on or near August 2nd. There isn't any cloudiness or anything. I'm afraid of spikes so I do water changes when I feel like it.
Yes, I'm asking you... LOL. I will quote from now on, if I'm not too lazy...

OK, so the filter is from a while ago... and you do great on water changes... I'd just assume this is a beginning bacteria bloom (the 3 b's! :D) and let it run its course. Are there any reviews of this tank that have the same issue?
Old 08-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjen182 View Post
Yes, I'm asking you... LOL. I will quote from now on, if I'm not too lazy...

OK, so the filter is from a while ago... and you do great on water changes... I'd just assume this is a beginning bacteria bloom (the 3 b's! :D) and let it run its course. Are there any reviews of this tank that have the same issue?
Oh, OK. I was confused a bit. Hehe...

The tank has nothing to do with it... Er, all I have to do to activate the sponge filter is to connect it with the air pump, right? Cause that's all I did. There was only 1 review of the filter and it said "It's great for small and fry tanks!". I'm trying to get a test kit to see what the results are. I don't even know if there's ammonia in my tap water. That could be an extra source if there was... This is my sponge filter: http://www.amazon.com/Jardin-Aquariu...=sponge+filter

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread. It's just I got curious about the blooms and I never got one.