Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #1 
cjschmelzer909
New Member
 
cjschmelzer909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
My first filter

Just got the Aqueon QuietFlow10 for my 5.5 gallon tank. The tank was clouding up in like a little over 24 hours so I figured this was something I needed. So I got a couple questions...

What should be my water change schedule now? How long does it take to start cycling? What do I do once it does start cycling?
cjschmelzer909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish
Member
 
MyRainbowBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
your tank will immediately cycle when you turn on the filter. The cloudiness in the water is most likely a beneficial bacterial bloom, meaning your filter is salting to grow beneficial bacteria.A typical cycle can take anywhere from 4-8 weeks. A cycle has become stable when your ammonia reads zero, nitrite reads zero, and nitrate isn't above 20 ppm.

I am not quite sure about water change schedules, but it should be very frequent.

Good luck!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #3 
cjschmelzer909
New Member
 
cjschmelzer909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
your tank will immediately cycle when you turn on the filter. The cloudiness in the water is most likely a beneficial bacterial bloom, meaning your filter is salting to grow beneficial bacteria.A typical cycle can take anywhere from 4-8 weeks. A cycle has become stable when your ammonia reads zero, nitrite reads zero, and nitrate isn't above 20 ppm.

I am not quite sure about water change schedules, but it should be very frequent.

Good luck!
So are you saying the cloudiness wasn't necessarily a bad thing?

it SHOULD or SHOULDN'T be frequent? Just wanna make sure it's not a typo lol

And I was told by Lebron, I believe, that I still need to make make 100% water changes until the cycle is stable, correct?
cjschmelzer909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #4 
jenjen182
Member
 
jenjen182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
The cloudiness is natural- it must be cycled first. If it still is cloudy after being cycled, try rinsing the filter down. There might be a little collection of dust sitting inside ruining your water.
jenjen182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta
Member
 
LebronTheBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjschmelzer909 View Post
So are you saying the cloudiness wasn't necessarily a bad thing?

it SHOULD or SHOULDN'T be frequent? Just wanna make sure it's not a typo lol

And I was told by Lebron, I believe, that I still need to make make 100% water changes until the cycle is stable, correct?
Actually I told you that if the tank is going under or is cycled, you don't have to do 100% changes. The bacteria will die if you do one so don't. Sorry for the confusion.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta
Member
 
LebronTheBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MD
So a bacteria bloom HAS to happen when beneficial bacteria is growing? I never experienced that when I set up my sponge filter. Then again, I have a pH of 6.5. :/
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #7 
jenjen182
Member
 
jenjen182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I don't think so-how long have you owned this tank? It could just be a beginning bloom.
jenjen182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta
Member
 
LebronTheBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjen182 View Post
I don't think so-how long have you owned this tank? It could just be a beginning bloom.
You're asking me, right? Cause I don't know who you you were targeting. :D Well, I bought the filter on or near August 2nd. There isn't any cloudiness or anything. I'm afraid of spikes so I do water changes when I feel like it.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #9 
jenjen182
Member
 
jenjen182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
You're asking me, right? Cause I don't know who you you were targeting. :D Well, I bought the filter on or near August 2nd. There isn't any cloudiness or anything. I'm afraid of spikes so I do water changes when I feel like it.
Yes, I'm asking you... LOL. I will quote from now on, if I'm not too lazy...

OK, so the filter is from a while ago... and you do great on water changes... I'd just assume this is a beginning bacteria bloom (the 3 b's! :D) and let it run its course. Are there any reviews of this tank that have the same issue?
jenjen182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta
Member
 
LebronTheBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjen182 View Post
Yes, I'm asking you... LOL. I will quote from now on, if I'm not too lazy...

OK, so the filter is from a while ago... and you do great on water changes... I'd just assume this is a beginning bacteria bloom (the 3 b's! :D) and let it run its course. Are there any reviews of this tank that have the same issue?
Oh, OK. I was confused a bit. Hehe...

The tank has nothing to do with it... Er, all I have to do to activate the sponge filter is to connect it with the air pump, right? Cause that's all I did. There was only 1 review of the filter and it said "It's great for small and fry tanks!". I'm trying to get a test kit to see what the results are. I don't even know if there's ammonia in my tap water. That could be an extra source if there was... This is my sponge filter: http://www.amazon.com/Jardin-Aquariu...=sponge+filter

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread. It's just I got curious about the blooms and I never got one.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AZOO Mignon Filter or RedSea Nano Filter - anyone using this filter? MSG Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 7 08-04-2012 10:09 AM
2.5 minibow filter tore tailfin, need advice putting in Red Sea filter ASAP KristiLee Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 1 01-09-2010 08:58 PM
Nylons on filter intake? Filter changes? and Prime for cycled tanks? PinkDiamond Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 9 09-04-2009 06:36 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.