Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #1 
LittleWatty

DIY Dividers?

So, I bought a 15 gallon tank yesterday, and I'm planning on splitting it 3 ways (Two fish, then the middle for the filter, heater, etc.). However, no where around here sells decent dividers. I've purchased one, and it was falling apart within 12 hours in an uninhabited tank (cycling). So, I got rid of it. I've heard that the DIY dividers tend to work 100x better than the store bought ones anyway. So... how do you guys do it? What would I need? The tank is still in its box, as I have no where to put it yet.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

I love my DIY dividers. They are much more cost-effective than the ones you buy at pet stores. All you need is a local Walmart and you should have all of the equipment you need. Tank Dividers @ petfish.net I used this first tutorial here to make my own dividers. I still have enough craft mesh left over to make a jump guard as I have a few escape artists.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #3 
LittleWatty

Thanks for the link! Yeah, another reason why I'm putting in 2 dividers instead of 1 is for that reason. It'll be two plakat males, and while they're both kind of "relaxed," they'd definitely go at it if one jumped into the other side.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #4 
teeneythebetta

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #5 
Sceven

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Yay Pictures! I need pictures to fully understand this one was great.
Sceven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:26 AM   #6 
Hopeseeker

I have made my dividers. I like to put the report spine on the bottom and top, also. It does help with stability for me. I also use suction cups to keep them in place. Just giving you ideas. Have fun setting up the new aquarium!!!
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #7 
Shadyr

I used the guide Teeny linked to make one for my 6.6 bookshelf tank. I picked up the craft mesh and edging from Michaelís. I did not get the binders, as those seemed a bit flimsy to me. I picked up something that is basically the same concept - but these were poster frame pieces. Sturdier and a bit flexible. The particulars of this tank made it easy to take it all the way to the top, so there is no room for anything to jump between.

I cut the mesh a bit wide, which gives it a visible bow when in the tank, but it has been solid without anything else holding it in place so far. The "edge" pieces are only on the sides, not on the top or bottom. It's been about 4 weeks since I set it up, 3 weeks with one fish in, and 2 weeks with both.

Name:  divider1280.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  66.9 KB

Name:  newtank1280.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  56.9 KB

Name:  doubles1280.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  59.1 KB
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #8 
LittleWatty

I think my Walmart and Staples are stupid XD Walmart didn't have the craft mesh or the report binders, and Staples didn't have the report binders either. I'm on my way to Shopko now to see if I can't find any, otherwise I might have to resort to something else. Anyone have any suggestions? (I have the mesh)
Old 08-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #9 
Shadyr

Try a craft store and ask for clip on or grip poster frames. I got mine at Michael's, along with the craft mesh in black. They had pretty much any color you might want.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #10 
LittleWatty

I was at Michael's earlier today, which is where I got my mesh XD I didn't think they'd have those. I got some semi-cheap report covers (I'm just going to cut them down if I can't find anything else). It was nice getting the mesh for like 59 cents though. wasn't expecting that!