Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #1 
Pogthefish

IF you have 2 females in a very small area will they do more damage than in a large?

Well I had 2 females is a divided breeder net and one managed to slip under the divider and just destroyed the other's fins, and her fins are FINE. Now Obviously she will not be going into my sorority when the new fish come any time soon, but she did so well in sororities before D: Is there a reason she did all that so quickly? I mean 30 minutes, tops and she just DEVOURED those fins! The poor girl has missing scales, and her fins are just SHREDDED. What can I do with the agressive one now?
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #2 
MSG

It's DEFINITELY related the lack of space.

I had just removed 2 of my largest females from the sorority due to torn fins. I placed them in a 2.5G halfway filled with water divided with a CD case. I put it by the windowsill and wasn't level. The water was kinda high on one edge. Didn't have time to find something to prop the tank up and I went to make a snack before leaving.

The damage done to yours sounds similar to what happened to Senetti.

Take a picture, I'm curious to see if yours is as injured as badly as mine.

Senetti made a full recovery and after 8 days, she was released in the guppy tank for exercise until she got caught/nearly drowned in a ornament.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #3 
Pogthefish

Wow.. well if I find my camera I will def. take a pic, but its odd that the one didn't fight back. Like the agressive one has NO marks at all :/
Old 08-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #4 
babystarz

The combination of lack of space and only 2 fish was a pretty volatile mix. When there are under 5 females, the fish focus more on attacking individuals to get them away from their "territory," whereas more fish means less aggression because there aren't really individual rivalries (usually - if there are there was hiding spots). In this case, the females only had one fish to focus on and one of them decided the whole tank was her space.

I wouldn't necessarily say the fish that attacked will be unable to live in a sorority in the future. A fish that is fine in a large tank with many females can be totally freaked out by 1 fish in a small tank. The circumstances are so different from a normal sorority setting that a normally docile fish becomes stressed out and aggressive.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:57 PM   #5 
Pogthefish

Well I will try her later, right now the other fish are like half her size.. so yeah.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:32 AM   #6 
a123andpoof

I have the same thing happen. I had two females in a 10g with little decor and such. a divider and one girl on either side. The one went and beat up my favorite girl. She didnt even touch the other one.The funny thing is that the girl who got beat up, just a day before beat up one of my males who is much bigger then her. And she wouldnt even take a girl her size *rolls eyes* sometimes I wonder about these guys. (just so everyone knows the female is no longer in the same tank as the male, and the females are again seperated.)
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:45 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

I had a female beat the crap out of one of my males...
I was trying to breed them and yeah....it didnt work

He was fine minus the lack of fins/scales

He was a halfmoon....

Females can be just as agressive as males - one minute they are all happy - the next one is missing its fins or worse

Last edited by Tikibirds; 08-16-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:06 AM   #8 
Pogthefish

she pretty much looks like that, but its funny how much energy she still has, such a fighter :)