Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #11 
RazzleDazzleRose

Wow. So touching, poor betta! Good thing my local Walmart doesn't sell bettas!
RazzleDazzleRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:48 PM   #12 
Pixielator

You said in the first post that you were able to get bettas that were sick for free from that store before. I was just wondering, how did you convince them to let you take it? Today my sister-in-law was telling me about how one of the petco's in our area had a few baby guppies a while ago. One of the babies looked like it was dying so she asked if she could take it home and try to nurse it back to health, but the lady said something along the lines of "Well, it might live, and then we can sell it." Of course it died..

Anyway, I'm posting to ask you, how were you able to convince the manager to let you take the sick bettas for free? I'd like to be able to do this when I see a betta in need, but I don't know how to approach the staff about it. Should I be intimidating and demanding or should I be polite and just ask? I feel on one hand if I act angry and demanding they might just want to get me out of the store and calm me down by giving in and if I were to be nice they would just think that they'd be able to say no and I'd be like "Okay, well thanks anyway, have a good one!! ". And on the other hand if I'm demanding, they might just tell me to leave the store and if I'm polite they might actually listen.
So I don't know how to act, can you give me some advice?
Pixielator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:48 PM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad my Walmart doesn't sell bettas. That woman could have at least spoken to the manager about giving you the fish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:23 AM   #14 
LionCalie

Pixielator - In the past when I would find bad conditions at the store I would go to the nearest register or find an employee and ask to speak with the manager about their conditions. Speaking to the manager directly is important, as this thread has proven. They are the ones who will make sure things are improved and have a say in not charging for the fish. Be prepared for a bit of wait if it is a Walmart store. Not sure if they are just super busy or they hope you leave. I've waited up to half an hour. When the manager does show up I point of the problems calmly, politely, but firmly. I'm a very shy person with a social phobia, but seeing animals suffering brings out a confident side of me.

Try not to sound judgmental. I also will typically say, "I know they are just fish, but this is bad buisness."

In my experience, the manger is usually very apologetic. After showing the poor conditions and explaining the illnesses the fish have I will show the fish I hope to rescue. I tell the manager that this one is sick as well, but I feel that there is a chance I can save the fish. I explain the fact I have a variety of medications on hand along with the knowledge needed to give him a fighting chance. Usually the manager doesn't have a problem giving the betta free of charge after all that. They probably just want you out of the store, haha.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:33 AM   #15 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Listen, I totally hear you, and I am mad at myself for having paid money to Petsmart and Petco for bettas, because they don't take great care of their bettas either.

Please do what I did and maybe yelp this, or write a review on citysearch. This is what I did the other day because I was so mad.

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/blHTn...GTXHw_KAeGiWRA

I put photos of their dead bettas in dirty water, in case the link doesn't work. Now I am afraid to go in there, but oyu know what? I need this. I need to ignore big box stores that don't give a $#%@ about bettas, and go to my beautiful natural planted tank store where they give bettas a plant, substrate, and indian almond leaf extract in every large jar they keep them in. That is where we should spend our money. If we did that, Walmarts wouldn't exist.

http://www.walmarteffectbook.com/excerpts.html
And what Walmart does to bettas is only a metaphor for what Walmart does to the economy, small towns, small business, their employees, thei employees' healthcare. . etc. No one should spend a dime in Walmart. I won't anymore.

Last edited by mursey; 08-17-2012 at 01:35 AM. Reason: added link
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:55 AM   #16 
TheCheese909

I've said it once and i'll say it again and again util the day I die.

Write a complaint to WalMart.com - - - IT HELPS!

Here is a C&P of what I said on another thread about it:

I used to see this all the time at my local WalMart. They also would throw Bettas in with the Oscars and Goldfish exc. Someone once put two girls together, two girls who my friend and I had seen a few days before (she wanted both but couldn't afford to get them at the time).. we actually took them up to checkout (they weren't fighting at all) and the person who checked us out didn't even look at the cup, so we ended up getting both girls for the price of one. lol

CT males from our WalMart ALWAYS have problems swimming, they sit on their tail at the bottom of the cup kinda hunched over. It's only ever the CTs, never the VTs. It's very easily corrected, we have rescued 3 different male CTs from there all with the same problem and got them all back to normal by just putting them in a shallow tank with plenty of horizontal swimming room and daily exercise with a mirror. All boys recovered.

The state of misery of all their fish had gotten to a point where it was just too frustrating to look at anymore. I went to WalMart.com and wrote in a complaint about the store and how they took care of their fish and how horrible and dirty their tanks were. I got a reply back within a few days as well as a call from the manager from that store. They hired in a new employee who was trained specifically in treating and caring for the fish, this employee also trained a few other people on how to care for them as well. All the fish now are doing SO much better and still are, I wrote that complaint back in November and they actually are still taking care of their fish. They even have heaters for the tropical fish and the goldfish & koi water is nice and cool.

It's amazing what a well written complaint can do.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #17 
LionCalie

Yes, I agree. I did complain to Walmart already like I have done in the past. Unfortunately I have not had the success you've had with contacting corporate. It is still worth trying though.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:59 AM   #18 
yoshi1029

I'm speechless I can not believe how walmart treats the poor fish!!!! :'0
yoshi1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #19 
meiperfectneina19

Yeah... I tried to save a fish this Monday, but all the places I went (because dang it there is no place in this area that treats them well) said they could and would not even sell me the sick fish. They took them away to the back. :( I hope the fish are getting treated and not just euthanized on the back...

Also I can't even talk to the employees without getting so anxious I get a rash... :( Angers me... because I can do presentations just fine, but I can't speak to a person by themselves....
meiperfectneina19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #20 
Goldie2nd

Well I decided to go to a local Petstore and not buy anything else from walmart again as per fish keeping and such. especially the fish! That's how I;m doing it is the best i can do.
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote