Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2012, 11:04 PM   #1 
birdielikestomatoes

Cool Birdie's Fishie Journal

Alright so I decided to start this whole journaling thing and I'm really not sure how it will turn out. And by that I mean it will probably be boring as heck. xD

Anyway to start this thing off I'd like to introduce everyone, both fishie, furry, and humanish.

There's moi, the crazy hippie chickie that absolutely adores animals of all kind.

My Mama and Papa, who don't always understand my obsession but they accept it.

My brother thing, I don't like him so I will not speak of him.

My 2 year old baby sis, she terrifies me. Like seriously terrifies me, but when she isn't mauling me to death we get on great despite our 15 year age gap.

There's also Tribble, the only 4 legged pet. She's a pomeranian and no matter how much she's brushed she never, ever looks neat. But I absolutely adore her.

As for the fish there's Steve, a blue veiltail. I'm pretty sure he's the oldest of the bunch. He was bought by my dad before I started taking another interest in bettas. Poor thing.

There's Eugeney. My oldest girl, she and Betty (now deceased) really helped me find this site and I finally, FINALLY, learned how to properly take care of bettas.

Hilda is another girl, she and Eugeney used to share a 5g, I hate myself right now, until they got into a major fight. She is now living in a 10g which will be split and Eugeney will once again live with her because of...

...Mr. Grumpy. I just barely got him today and he will be going into the 5g. I promised myself no more bettas but yesterday I had to go into Petco to get Tribble groomed and I made the mistake of looking at the bettas, I also made the mistake of naming him. I left him there, trying to convince myself that I did not need another betta but his grumpy little face kept nagging at me so here he is...he is stunning! He's definetely the last one for now though. I have been banned from having more than 3 tanks so I really have no where to put anymore fish.

I'll be doing some aquascaping tomorrow because Mr. Grumpy is huge and I'm going to worry about him getting stuck in the Greek ruins that are in the 5g right now. My mom would also like to add a plate to that tank so that will be added whenever she finds one that fits both my criteria and hers.

That's all for now, this is feeling a bit huge. I'll add some pictures hopefully tomorrow of the pets, including my sister xD.
birdielikestomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #2 
birdielikestomatoes

Alright so I successfully separated the 10g and it now houses both the girls. Hilda is being her normal feisty self and is flaring up a storm. Eugeney however found an itty bitty little gap and decided that she wanted to go hang out with her friend. *head desk x 500) I went downstairs to grab my camera from my room and I come back up only to find Eugeney swimming along happily with Hilda, who was still flaring. I quickly scooped her up and put her back on her side, hoping that she wouldn't do it again and I left for a few seconds to go talk to my mom and when I got back...she was back with Hilda.

I don't think she understands that bettas are not social creatures. She's looking happier than she has for the past few weeks since I separated them though. She's a social betta I suppose.

Anyway I went back and shoved some of the trimmed mesh into the gap and I hope that that will keep her on her side. It has so far so fingers crossed!

Mr. G was also put into the 5g today and he absolutely hates the camera. xD I have yet to get a good pic of him in the tank. He also made the cutest little bubble nest while he was floating in his cup overnight. I guess Eugeney made an impression on him in the short time they were together before I removed her to float her in the 10g.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #3 
birdielikestomatoes

I have a confession to make. I think Steve is my absolute favorite. Why? I'm not exactly sure, maybe it's the awkward way he swims (body wiggle charge, stop, rest, body wiggle charge!), or perhaps it's the way he constantly stares. I mean he is always staring at me, he doesn't do much else besides staring. Well aside from swimming around awkwardly and floating around. But anyway don't tell anyone, 'kay? xD

The girls are doing great in the split 10g, so far Eugeney hasn't managed to get back on Hilda's side. Knock on wood, right?

And Mr. G isn't sure what to make of me yet. I'm still trying to get him to start eating pellets but I'm not trying too hard just yet. Hopefully in a few days he'll get hungry enough to try one.

And now for some pictures! Yay! Here are pictures of Tribble, Eugeney, Hilda, Steve, and Mr. Grumpy. There's more pics in my album.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:10 AM   #4 
Aus

Hiya BLT - well, what a menagerie you have at home, animal and human, LOL.

Tribble is ADORABLE. Black Pomeranians aren't very common here or something, as I don't think I've ever seen one in person. AWH. And that fur is not "untidy" - it's "highly individual"!!

All your fish look very healthy - I hope Mr Grumpy (ahaha, I have a cranky faced fish too, they're so cute) settles in well.

I've had to self-impose a tank limit.. I can see how people end up with dozens of them. So easy.. especially when there's so many lovely bettas out there needing good homes.

Good to see you about, do update often!
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:52 AM   #5 
birdielikestomatoes

Hey Aus! Thanks for stopping by. :) There is quite a crowd in my house, I haven't really thought about it before. And here I am wanting another dog...or a cat...or a guinea pig named Turnip. I'll have to stop right there before I become all needy and sad because I want another mammal but am currently banned from anymore pets. >_> I suppose in a few months I could move out but I don't have the means to do so. Nor do I believe I'm ready to move out even if I did have the cash.

Haha, perhaps you're right about Tribble's coat. She recently just got most of her fur clipped down, we're currently calling her our little bear cub. I love her fur long but she gets all hot and I can't ever seem to get all the tangles out, then she gets frustrated because I'm trying to brush around her hips and butt where all the tangles are and it all just becomes a serious pain.

Mr. Grumpy is settling in very well! He started eating pellets a few days ago and now he's started 'begging' for food whenever I come by. xD Silly thing. Over the next couple weeks I plan on getting him on the food schedule of everyone else where he'll get 6 pellets every other day.

The reason I feed them all every other day is because Eugeney bloats severely if I feed her everyday and it's just easier to have everyone on the same feeding schedule. So instead of feeding the girls 2 pellets a day and boys 3 I just feed them 4 and 6 every other day. Did that make sense? I'm not really sure.

Mr. G has also build another bubble nest. I can't tell you how excited I am about this as Steve has never been a bubble nester nor was Wiggles (also deceased D':). I've also never had to deal with a jumper.

Now that I've finally gotten over my heart attack I shall speak of Mr G's jumping experience. When I first got him home I wanted to change the water in his cup as it was filthy and he was going to have to stay in it another night. I put him in a bowl while I poured some fresh water into the cup from my gallon of 'fish water', as my sister calls it. Because the 'fish water' is room temperature I wanted to let him sit in the bowl for 15 minutes or so until the water he was in matched the temp in the cup.

About 5 minutes in I stopped ogling Mr G and said to my dad, "I hope he's not a jumper. I've never had to deal with a jumper before." I'm sure you can guess what Mr G did exactly after I said this. >_< He landed on the counter and I was like O_O and trying to get him to not fall off the counter all the while shouting at my dad to get the net I keep by the kitchen sink. I couldn't grab him and my dad didn't get up fast enough because Mr G leaped again and fell off the counter. I doubt I'll ever get that 'splat' out of my mind. Luckily both he and I were okay. In fact I think he recovered from his fall off the counter before I recovered from my heart attack. I will never make the mistake of keeping in an uncovered container again.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #6 
Aus

Ah! What a scare.. I've been lucky with my lot, as I would not doubt any of them (except maybe Demyx) would leap out in a flash given the chance. And really, I could be a tad more vigilant at feeding and wc time!

I think Mr. G will prove to be something of a major personality..
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #7 
birdielikestomatoes

He certainly is proving to be something. He is scared of everything. Most of the time he just swims non stop at the back of the tank, he only ever comes to the front to see if I have food. And even if I do have food he gobbles up whatever I put in then he's gone again. I really need to work on having him stay at the top a bit longer as I don't like feeding any of the fish their full portion all at once. I like to make sure they chew.

Today he had his first water change here at home and I'm please to say it went quite well....

Ah who the hell am I kidding? He completely freaked and started SLOUGHING off his slime coat. o_o I highly doubt that's normal, is it? I've never seen any of the other fish slough off their slime coats when they get stressed.

And the POO! I've never seen so much poo ever. I've only had him for about a week and I ended up changing 75% of the water just sucking up all the poo and slime coat. And it's all his because before I put him in the tank I did a 50% water change and made sure to get all the nooks and crannies so that when he was placed in there it would be nice and clean for him.

He really is a fish of many firsts. My first jumper, my first nervous wreck, my first bubble nester, my first slime coat slougher, my first plakat, my first slime coat slougher. Did I mention that when he's nervous he sloughs off his slime coat? I'm going to have to keep an eye on that.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #8 
Bettanewbie60

omgosh..I absolutely love your journal...boring? LOL..not!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:31 PM   #9 
birdielikestomatoes

I'm glad you're enjoying it so far, Bettanewbie! I swear these animals will put in the hospital one day that or my sister will.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:34 PM   #10 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdielikestomatoes View Post

I'm glad you're enjoying it so far, Bettanewbie! I swear these animals will put in the hospital one day that or my sister will.
Ha ha ha...I just brought home my 6th betta today! It is 12:30am and I just finished changing water in 4 tanks lol. I love them so much...it relaxes me to "work" on their tanks.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote