Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #1 
ashleylyn

First NPT adventure - 30g

Set up and planted on 10/3/13.

I'm going to keep track of the trials and tribulations of my very first NPT, a 30g I got off Craigslist for $30 (with the cherry stand, filter, heater, hood, air pump, and air line).

*Plant locations are tentative. Depending on how things grow/thrive, I'm certain there will be rearrangements. This is just for the time being.*

For the substrate I used Miracle Gro Potting Mix capped with black diamond blasting sand. 95% of the plants were purchased from peachii and I also used some from my already cycled 10g. There are two pieces of Mopani wood (one is quite small and not visible in the photos) which was boiled for hours. I know there will still be tannins leaking, but I'm not too concerned. The filter is a Penguin Biowheel 150B. Lighting: Zoo Med Ultra Sun Trichromatic Super Daylight 6500k Fluorescent Bulb T8 15 Watt, 18-inch.

I used about 3-4 gallons of water from my cycled 10g to hopefully jumpstart things. There are also around 20+ snails (also from the amazing peachii), though most are babies and hardly visible. Ramshorns and MTS. Too many plants to list and to be honest, I don't know all of their names yet! Peachii sent me so many clippings, I will have to wait for them to grow a little more to be able to identify some of them! They include rotala, ludwiga, wisteria, green hygro, pennywort, java moss, and more!

*Excuse my king, Poseidon, just floating in his cup, lol. I brought him home from school for the weekend, I am going to transfer my sorority into the 30g and put him in my already established 10g. It will all depend on water parameters, though. For now he's floating so he has heated water. If I can't transfer my sorority this weekend (input on that?), he'll come back to school with me on Sunday until things are ready to go!

Photos taken approx. 30 minutes after water was added. Prior to the water being added, there was about 1" of soil and 1 1/2 - 2" of cap. The cap has compressed and the soil has expanded. Sand still settling, but it's already starting to clear up.

ashleylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #2 
RowdyBetta

I'm excited to read how yours goes. ^^ And like you, I used non organic potting mix too.
I just started mine yesterday and my test kit arrived today.

Last edited by RowdyBetta; 10-03-2013 at 09:53 PM.
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #3 
ashleylyn

I couldn't find any organic potting mix, so this was the next best thing! Keep me updated on how yours progresses as well, I love hearing about everyone's NPTs. :)
Old 10-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #4 
ashleylyn

And the two biggest snails peachii sent me. The giant one is Santiago. :p They're lively as anything and already doing their job!

Old 10-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #5 
RowdyBetta

Agh! I love your snails' shells. ^^
Old 10-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #6 
ashleylyn

Hehe, thank you! I love them too. Such cute little guys!

Tested ammonia today - at 0. :D
Old 10-04-2013, 11:28 PM   #7 
RowdyBetta

Lucky you. XD I tested mine earlier this evening and it's at 8 ppm! O.O
Old 10-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #8 
ashleylyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyBetta View Post
Lucky you. XD I tested mine earlier this evening and it's at 8 ppm! O.O
Omg, that's crazy! I was surprised. I was waiting for the color to turn, but it stayed yellow! I'm hoping it doesn't spike, but so far all of my snails are lively and moving about everywhere and the plants look good. Here's to hoping our tanks get situated soon!
Old 10-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #9 
ashleylyn

Second day of ammonia at 0ppm. :) Added my sorority and guppies. Monitoring the ammonia very closely. While I'm at school this week my dad will monitor my tank for me - he's in love with my snails too lol.

Pics to come later!
Old 10-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #10 
RowdyBetta

Lol, great dad. ;) My dad didn't want any fish in the house but kept pestering him and finally even wrote a research paper on bettas. XD That got him. Haha, now they've sort of grown on him. He asks me how they're doing and comes to the tank and watches them sometimes. Gallifrey is his favorite. ;)

Can't wait for pics!! :D Man, I just gotta say, that black sand really looks gorgeous in there.