Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2012, 10:01 PM   #11 
Tikibirds

Isn't diatomeaus earth dangerous? or so i read online

I'm gonna get some frontline tomorrow but will it work if my sister does nothing for her fleabag cats?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #12 
Laki

There's 2 kinds of DE. One is used to kill slugs and garden pests so there's a harmful ingredient in it.. The other is labelled as human grade which makes it safe for consumption (bc I think people can actually eat it as a holistic supplement).. You want to make sure that you get the human grade DE. My sister texted me tonight (from Montreal) and she says they sell it there for like 10$. Montreal has a bad bed bug problem.....
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #13 
Tikibirds

you can eat it?? sounds...nasty

actually, gonna get advantage instead as I have heard the fleas seem to be immune to it here
Old 08-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #14 
misty1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I noticed that too Misty.....they kinda go nuts in about 20-30min after taking the oral flea killer. This is the first time I have ever used it and had both dog and cat on a white floor so I could watch the fleas fall off and die...It really does work that fast......

The Nitenpyram is the active ingredient of Capstar and much cheaper....I like it because it is both cat and dog safe.

Be sure and have some fresh activated charcoal/carbon on hand just in case any of the flea products get in the aquarium. Make a water change and add the carbon ASAP....I had some flea powder get in one of my tanks one year (forgot to turn the fan off..duh..) lost some shrimp but saved the fish....

When I treat the house-I vacuum really good first-then put down the flea powder and scrub it in with a boom-I wait 2 days and vacuum really good and repeat-but I leave it for a week before I vacuum and reapply again. I spay the sofa, chair and anything cloth-turning the cushions to get them really good under, on and even all the way around them and behind the sofa/chairs-including my curtains with a flea spray.
One flea product that I found at walmart is supposed to last for 9-12mo-but I usually do it twice if I have fleas really bad along with the carpet. I strip the beds and wash everything and spray the mattress and pillows really good. This generally will take care of my bad infestation as long as I keep the spot on treatment on all the animals every month during flea season.
Off season I only use it every 3 months on the cats but monthly on the dogs year around and I still get fleas in the house sometimes....Thats not fair....lol.....but when you have as many animals going in and out of the house as I do-I guess it will happen no matter what sometimes.
With all my aquariums I can't use foggers- but the method I use seems to work pretty good and I only have to do it once a year.

Geeeee...now I am on the Finless Friends forum .... I spend almost all day just on the Betta forum I love all animals.

It is soooo funny to watch them after the capstar starts to work

BTW....my 7 kitties (spoiled rotten like my betta) are all indoor cats. I found out that I am the one that brings in fleas from walking in yards during my job. Jeepers Cats !!!

You really have a lot of finless + finny friends to take care of ... you are awesome.
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #15 
Tikibirds

so aparently they do sell diatomaus earth for pets and it can be taken orally -it can be used as s dewormer or so they say.

I could only find frontline plus and I found like 10 fleas on him today
Old 08-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #16 
Laki

Hmm.. Do you have a flea comb?? Because as you pick them off you can drown them in laundry soap water.. And sprinkle powder along baseboards and in pet beds and wash your own bedsheets in hot water.. The powder can be baking soda until you get DE. How DE works as a de-wormer is that it slices up the coating on them and kills them. Since DE is basically just some sort of pulverized shell it's a totally harmless way to kill fleas, eggs and worms.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #17 
Tikibirds

yeah but bubble's undercoat is like trying to comb through a cottonball.
Plus the little ******* jump
Old 08-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #18 
misty1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
so aparently they do sell diatomaus earth for pets and it can be taken orally -it can be used as s dewormer or so they say.

I could only find frontline plus and I found like 10 fleas on him today
Try a dose of Capstar. You can use it even though you used Frontline+ already. See my post above about how he will react when the capstar starts to work....it is a super product as a 'flea-removal-starter'.

Good luck ... I know what a pain it is to get rid of the little buggers!!!!
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #19 
bettasusa

To add something you might like, you can use Garlic powder to repel fleas and ticks once you have gotten rid of them in your house. Not fresh garlic as it can be dangerous to the dogs but the powder works wonders. Once the taste of it is in the dogs blood the fleas hate it, but it must be fed on a regular basis to keep them repelled.
bettasusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #20 
Laki

YES
I forgot about garlic powder. It's more of a preventative. Dogs love it too! Cats cannot have it though.