Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2012, 01:00 AM   #1 
ZainDracu

Smile Betta Experts - Your Opinions Please :D

Hey guys!

I just wanted to let you guys know how I've been treating my betta, Franklin, and see if you guys have any suggestions or any in-site into what I can improve on.

Feeding:

I feed him Hikari Betta Pellets, the small ones. I feed him roughly 18 a day (Packaging says 15 to 20 a day). I don't feed him anything on Sundays because I heard it's good to give them the day off. I was thinking of getting some Freeze Dried Bloodworms to feed him every Monday as a little treat. That a good way of handling his diet?

Tank Cleaning:

I've been doing a 30% water change every week. He is in a 5 Gallon tank with a Marina S10 Slim Filter going on it's low speed all day. He's the only animal in the tank. When I clean it I obviously put in clean treated water and add a little bit of Aquarium Salt to the mix. This all seems fair and he hasn't shown any problems.

Decorations:

So, in my tank I have a little skull with a Dragon as my ornaments. The Dragon also has an air pump attached to it to blow bubbles. I got the air filter because I heard that having the air bubbles going through the water helps get pollutants out and gives the water more oxygen in it. (I know they breathe air, but it's gotta help him if his body absorbs oxygen) I also have about 5 silk plants and some fake plastic grass randomly in the bottom of the tank. As far as the the base goes its aquarium gravel (small rocks) and random 'gems'.

Heating:

I have an Marina Aquarium heater. So far his tank sits about 77 - 79 Degrees on average going to 75 at it's lowest. I think that's fair enough personally, but if you guys have any input please let me know. :) I also have a nice light above him that I turn on for about 7-9h a day. I am not sure if that's too much or too little. I like to have it on for him, I feel like I'm giving him light. Should I just let the natural light, light the tank up. It's not direct light, but my condo can get a decent amount of natural light in it.

Here are some recent pics. This way you can get a visual idea.

Some minor concerns I've had of recently:

During the day he is really active, which I love, but he seems to chase himself a lot. I know he's chasing his reflection just by the way he goes back and forth. Is this possibly because I have the tank light on and he just goes at it?

His fins appear to be tearing, and from what I can gather it's because he's chasing himself around the tank. I did the 'Panty Hose Test' on all my ornaments and they all seem fine, no tears. Is there a way I can help him tend to his torn fins, other then what I have been doing anyways?

I just want to do the best I can for Franklin. He's my lil guy and I love him! (My GF sometimes jokes that I love him more then her. )

Thanks for your time.
ZainDracu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:01 AM   #2 
ZainDracu

Oh, I forgot to mention. I just recently used the water bottle technic to block the flow of the filter even more.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:18 AM   #3 
teeneythebetta

Food: is he bloated? If he's not bloated then that amount must be okay.*
Hikari is not that great of a food, I reccomend new life spectrum or omega one.

Tank cleaning; is your tank cycled? Are you cycling it? Do you test ammonia nitrite & nitrate?

I wouldn't let his tank go less than 78 degrees personally.

Your tank looks beautiful btw

Last edited by teeneythebetta; 08-15-2012 at 01:21 AM.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:40 AM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Feeding: Hikari isn't such a great food, it's full of fillers. New Life has better ingredients and is high-quality. :) 18 a day is WAY too much. Just 2 pellets 2x a day is sufficient. Variety is key in a good diet. :)

Tank Cleaning: Adding Aquarium Salt is VERY BAD for his health. It shouldn't be in the tank for more than 10 days period. It may start to damage his organs so I suggest for you to do a 90% change, you know since you have a filter. The salt won't evaporate so you have to do changes to get rid of it.

For his minor case, could he be tail biting? I mean, it's not fin rot and thus. Tail biting looks like a crescent shaped mark appeared on his tail or it looks sharp.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:53 AM   #5 
ZainDracu

Thanks for the replies!

@teeneythebetta:

He isn't bloated at all. I will look into getting the Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets then :)

My tank was cycled. I then moved into my new place and did a 100% water change, then 2 days later a 50% and a 30% every week from there on out.

What is a good heater then? One that can consistently keep a 5G tank going 78deg?

Thanks! I have put many hours and lots of effort to make a comfortable and interesting looking tank.

@LebronTheBetta:

I think ill try the Omega One Pellets cause I know I can get them at a pet store near me. :) Oh and the Hikari Pellets are the mini ones they sell, not the big ones. He's be a fatty if I over fed him the big ones.

Okay next water change will be a bigger amount of water! I never knew that was an issue for them. I thought just adding a tiny bit would help. Thanks for clearing that up.

I don't think it's tail biting because it's not in a 'bite' shape. It definitely looks like tearing. I am hoping by blocking the filter a bit more it will help him.

Thanks again guys, I will rectify my problems ASAP.

Feel free to give more opinions, the more I learn the better I feel about taking care of Franklin.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #6 
DanielleB

Now I'm confused. On Amazon the Hikari is rated very good, but the Omega One is not and someone even mentioned that one of the ingredients in Omega One is contains Ethoxyquin - this is a pesticide although listed in the ingredients as a "preservative". It's been used in pet foods for decades to prevent fats from becoming rancid over time.

The FDA has issued a warning that ethoxyquin destroys the liver and has enforced a minimum allowance of 775 PPM yet many pet food manufacturers continue to use it.

So I'm very confused as to what to feed my Betta
DanielleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleB View Post
Now I'm confused. On Amazon the Hikari is rated very good, but the Omega One is not and someone even mentioned that one of the ingredients in Omega One is contains Ethoxyquin - this is a pesticide although listed in the ingredients as a "preservative". It's been used in pet foods for decades to prevent fats from becoming rancid over time.

The FDA has issued a warning that ethoxyquin destroys the liver and has enforced a minimum allowance of 775 PPM yet many pet food manufacturers continue to use it.

I've never heard of the Ethoxyquin or whatever before. Hikari IS a bad pellet brand for Bettas. It's full of cheap fillers now since they changed it. Many owners here use Omega One to feed their Bettas and they're perfectly fine. Don't worry about it, it's just probably for mammals and reptiles with a different metabolism.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #8 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleB View Post

This preservative is the very last ingredient in the food, meaning it is the least concentrated. it is "mildly" toxic to fish, more harmful to other types of creatures.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:13 AM   #9 
ZainDracu

DanielleB, I've used Hikari since my first Betta years ago. But just recently I got Franklin and if you read the Protein intake on the two, Omega One is better. I just picked up a pack today and Franklin loves it more then the Hikari he was eating before.

As for the poisonous 'preservative', I have never heard of that. But, if all pet foods use it, then I guess it's better to use the pet food that has less of it. The Omega One has less of the preservatives then the Hikari pellets.

Hope this helps, I literally compared the two packages in my hands. :)
Old 08-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #10 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZainDracu View Post
Hey guys!
Feeding:

I feed him Hikari Betta Pellets, the small ones. I feed him roughly 18 a day (Packaging says 15 to 20 a day). I don't feed him anything on Sundays because I heard it's good to give them the day off. I was thinking of getting some Freeze Dried Bloodworms to feed him every Monday as a little treat. That a good way of handling his diet?
Should not feed a betta that much, even if the food is the mini pellets.. their stomachs are roughly the size of their eye. Normally people feeding a diet of pellets feed anywhere between 2-6 a day (mini ones you can go 8-10), spread between at least 2 meals.
Freeze dried is okay once in a blue moon.. but it's just empty calories and not recommended on a normal basis. But as a treat once a week or two I won't say no to, just not my preference.

Tank Cleaning:

I've been doing a 30% water change every week. He is in a 5 Gallon tank with a Marina S10 Slim Filter going on it's low speed all day. He's the only animal in the tank. When I clean it I obviously put in clean treated water and add a little bit of Aquarium Salt to the mix. This all seems fair and he hasn't shown any problems.
Depends on whether the tank was cycled properly before you placed him in (6+ weeks to properly cycle a tank).. For a 5 gallon filtered tank with no live plants it's generally ideal to do closer to 50% per week which includes the siphoning of the substrate to remove debris.. filters don't get rid of the poop.

Decorations:

So, in my tank I have a little skull with a Dragon as my ornaments. The Dragon also has an air pump attached to it to blow bubbles. I got the air filter because I heard that having the air bubbles going through the water helps get pollutants out and gives the water more oxygen in it. (I know they breathe air, but it's gotta help him if his body absorbs oxygen) I also have about 5 silk plants and some fake plastic grass randomly in the bottom of the tank. As far as the the base goes its aquarium gravel (small rocks) and random 'gems'.
Meh.. air bubbles are over rated and not needed with a betta. Good for goldfish though!

Heating:

I have an Marina Aquarium heater. So far his tank sits about 77 - 79 Degrees on average going to 75 at it's lowest. I think that's fair enough personally, but if you guys have any input please let me know. :) I also have a nice light above him that I turn on for about 7-9h a day. I am not sure if that's too much or too little. I like to have it on for him, I feel like I'm giving him light. Should I just let the natural light, light the tank up. It's not direct light, but my condo can get a decent amount of natural light in it.
Depends on what you like.. sometimes I use natural light on some days, and sometimes I use my lamps. I like to pretend they are having a restful day when I use natural light :). The hour length is fine.. can even go a couple more hours if you wish, but it's not needed.

Some minor concerns I've had of recently:

During the day he is really active, which I love, but he seems to chase himself a lot. I know he's chasing his reflection just by the way he goes back and forth. Is this possibly because I have the tank light on and he just goes at it?
If the room is darkened and the tank light is on then he can see his reflection easily. But I wouldn't worry about it at all, as he is just swimming around, chasing himself as you said, and feeling the water against his side from the glass. If he didn't like it, or if it was harming him in any way then he wouldn't be doing it. In my experience of some of mine doing that I've had no health problems due to it.

His fins appear to be tearing, and from what I can gather it's because he's chasing himself around the tank. I did the 'Panty Hose Test' on all my ornaments and they all seem fine, no tears. Is there a way I can help him tend to his torn fins, other then what I have been doing anyways?
He may also be biting (you will see C or V shapes in the edges of the fins).. just keep up on the weekly water changes and a good diet, they will grow back.
I personally use Omega One Betta Buffet when I do feed pellets and have had no issues with them. My picky eaters love them and they are a good size.

Oh, and your tank looks great and he looks like a cutie
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote