Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #1 
Jully

Unhappy Bloated Betta?

Hello, yesterday my betta was up all night till 1Am, hyperactive of course, following my finger. I noticed there was 3 pieces of "Betta food" was in the tank, I didn't know they were in there and he ate it increasing his amount of food he ate yesterday 6 of http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=nutraf...9,r:0,s:0,i:70

Today I woke up to check on him, and I notice he was making his first bubble nest, he was trying so hard but he couldn't because he would go a bit side ways, his stomach is pretty big, when he swims down he can't he floats right back up, I believe he might have Swim Bladder? I don't think the bubble nest he is making will be finished, and this was his first bubble nest.

Anyways, what do you guys recommend? I hate to see him like this.
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #2 
teeneythebetta

Swim Bladder Disease (SBD)/Bloat
•Symptoms: Betta has trouble swimming, maybe he can’t stay upright and can only swim on his side.
•Treatment: This is not a contagious or fatal illness. If it isn’t congenital (aka a condition that he/she has had since birth), then it is caused by over feeding or feeding the wrong foods. Bettas will typically recover after a day or two of Epsom Salt treatments (1-2tsp/gal) and fasting. You can help prevent a reoccurrence by switching to a better pellet food, feeding less and offering a more varied diet. To make it easier for the betta to eat and breath, you can make the water shallower. You can offer him/her frozen daphnia (sold at Petsmart) as daphnia will help him/her pass stool. DO NOT FEED THEM PEAS.

DO not continue epsom salt for more than 10 days otherwise it is harmful. dont feed him for a few days, fast him.
can you post a pic?
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Epsom Salt either way. I found out that Epsom Salt won't bother fish until after 14 days. So 14 days is maximum. E Salt is 14, A Salt is 10 days.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #4 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Epsom Salt either way. I found out that Epsom Salt won't bother fish until after 14 days. So 14 days is maximum. E Salt is 14, A Salt is 10 days.
ooh thank you LTB
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

You should thank Myates. THANK YOU MYATES.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #6 
Jully

Okay I will try thanks guys, also he now likes to hide behind the filter now ;( Ah, very crazy betta.

I can never really find pellets some reason, I think I found some once, but they were a cardboard, then a little pack of them all in a bunch, you know when you buy a new toy, and then it has the plastic in the front, then the cardboard in the back, and a hanging hole so you can hang it, one of those, but I don't want it getting rotten or something to happen. I had meat pellets before like that which came with a kit, they rotted, and then I had to throw them out, I was lucky I didn't feed them to my betta and I smelled them.
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #7 
Myates

Hehe welcome...

And not to nitpick- Epsom they can be in indefinitely.. it is very gentle on them and plants. I personally wouldn't leave one in Epsom for their whole life.. but it won't damage them like over exposure to AQ salt can.

:)

I would just fast him first for at least 3 days to see if that helps before adding him to Epsom.. sometimes they just need time to clear it on their own. If not, then as mentioned above by Teeney on SBD would be the next step.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote