Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #1 
mkayum

planted 1.5 gallon tank ? Need opinions...

I have an empty 1.5 gallon tank, its tetra brand but improved with lid and the lighting. here's a link of the tank.
http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetr...l.aspx?id=4267

Things would be added in this tank.

Black sand
Terra clay pot
Java Ferns/ possible driftwood to cover the mini whisper filter.

I would buy a female betta and put her in that tank.. but I need your opinions/advices/suggestions.....

Thanks!
mkayum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would go 2.5 and put caves in.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:18 AM   #3 
mkayum

bump?
mkayum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:50 AM   #4 
DiiQue

You should be fine with that tank, though I think I read somewhere that females need more room than males, but dont recall where I read that...

Anywyas I have Dr. Z in a similar sized tank (the older version of your tank to be exact) and he's active and doing well. He comes to the front everytime he sees me in the room. It has lots of plants and the CaribSea eco-complete substrate. You definitely need to baffle the filter output (I stuck a piece of foam in the housing) and somehow control the air intake (I just bent the hose, tied with a rubber band, and adjusted the flow by making a bigger loop until I got enough air flowing up the tube to make water come out of the baffled outflow). Current is almost nonexistent and doesnt bother the little guy one bit.

Anyways, if you can put more plants, I would recommend it (more floatees work wonders).

Good luck with your new tank and post pics when it is set up!
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #5 
a123andpoof

Sounds good to me, I have 1.5 I am trying to make NPT. Anyways I would maybe add more plants, and a make betta. I feel females need a little more room since they can swim faster and seem to swim more then many longer tailed varietys. Just my opionion.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Betta fish like some hiding space.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #7 
Aus

Personally, I would feel bad having my female in anything smaller than the 3.5 gallons she's got... they really are very active and curious.

Her tank is heavily planted - the substrate, plants and wood all take up swimming space, too - so she's probably got about 3 gallons or less of that.. and as she's grown a little bit now, I am considering a larger tank. Which is to say, I think plants + decor + betta in 1.5 gallons is really too much. I'd recommend at least 3 gallons if not more, just from my experience.

If you used it as a shrimp tank, however, you could have maybe 20 shrimp in there - they're amazing fun to watch and I am way more attached to my 'betta snacks' than I thought I'd be (they are also getting their own tank soon). You can even get rare ones, if you have the $ and do the research. Blue, yellow, orange or even jet black. I would love to do this, if I had not a few tanks already and moving house soon..
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #8 
zzrguy

Crypt Beckettii/CRYPTOCORYNE BECKETTII 'PETCHII'

Brazilian Micro Sword /Lilaeopsis brasiliensis

Out the sword up front and the Cryptin front of the filter and a moss ball
zzrguy is offline   Reply With Quote