Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #11 
bettafishfinnatic

lol i have 1 of my bettas in 1.5 gallons round bowl 2 of them in 2.5 drums 2 of them in a split 5 gallon 1 of them in 3 gallon critter keeper 1 of them in a 2 gallon vase 1 of them in a 4 gallon tank and 1 of them in a 7 gallon community they all thrive pretty well but i have 2 CT 2 VT 1HMPK 1DT 1HM 1 SD 1 FEMALE HMPK
bettafishfinnatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:18 AM   #12 
farmgirl598

WOW! 9 Bettas......I was thinking long and hard before getting 3 or 4. I think what I might do, is put the halfmoon in one of my 2.5 gallon rectangular tanks. I have two of them, so can always put #4 (if there is a number 4) into the extra 2.5 gallon tank or 2.5 gallon bowl. I have extra filters and small heaters, so that should not be a problem. Keep the advize coming, or better yet, post pics of your small tanks and bowls. I appreciate all the help here. I am just a bit afraid I might not know enough to care for a fancy halfmoon properly. Wanna feel absolutely sure prior to buying one
farmgirl598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #13 
Shadyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmgirl598 View Post
Shadyr : Is that a kritter keeper you have Chicory in? I am a bit concerned about the plastic bowls I have. Will they withstand use of a heater? They are not acrylic, but plastic......ugh
No, the picture is his real tank, which is a Tetra Crescent 3.

He was in a kritter keeper (medium, about 1.5 G) for a bit while I was trying to get rid of some ickies that rode into his real tank on a plant, and he did not approve of it. But as far as keeping a betta in one, yes, they are fine, temperament of said betta being the key. Heaters don't seem to negatively affect the plastic. I am currently QTing my sons' betta in one.

As far as caring for one properly - warm water, proper feeding and water changes, just like any other betta/fish are the big things. You might need to vet any artificial plants and decorations more thoroughly to make sure there are no rough edges that his fins could be damaged by.

Last edited by Shadyr; 08-16-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #14 
farmgirl598

AND I suppose they cannot go into a tank that is too big, either, right? Any thoughts on my hex tank that I've had several fish die in? It is acrylic. It was a used tank when I got it. Is it possible that something might be embedded in the acrylic to make the tank unsafe? Or am I being paranoid? I have good betta experience, it's just that I have never had anything except a veiltail before....(my 2 current veiltails are doing great!)
Old 08-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #15 
RobertsKitty

Personally, I would never keep a betta in anything less than a 5 gallon tank. I currently have two boys in a heated 10 gallon divided tank. They use every inch of that space. I can not imagine them in anything smaller.
RobertsKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #16 
farmgirl598

My two Veiltails are in their own five gallon tanks now. I was thinking perhaps a 5 gallon might be TOO much for a halfmoon, since they cannot swim well, and he might get tired out. Is my thinking skewed here?
Old 08-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #17 
Shadyr

You said it was taller than it is wide. You'd want to have something decor/plant wise that almost reaches the top for your betta to perch on...good idea regardless of tail type!

But if you'd had bad luck with it, either pass or do a deep clean on it before putting it in use - the bleach or vinegar solution bath for it and all decor, rinse rinse and rinse some more, and then let it all dry in the sun for a good long time. Some people will toss the gravel / decor if they just can't bring themselves to trust it again.

I can only go by my own experience, and my halfmoon does well in his 3. He's wiggleswanning around the front right now, watching me like he expects me to give him a treat.

...brb, giving a betta a treat...
Old 08-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #18 
farmgirl598

My hex is taller than it is wide. I am not a huge fan of hex tanks. My 2.5 gallon tanks are shaped just like a standard ten gallon, only smaller, if that makes sense. I was thinking perhaps one of the 2.5 gallon tanks would do fine. I also want to get all of them some betta hammocks. The bettas I have now have tall plants that reach the surface (silk) as well as floating anacharis, but I've never seen them rest in the plants. I am just trying to be sure all will be ready and waiting for the new guy if I get him. I am also unsure about shipping, as I will be ordering him (no LFS around here). I work full time, but I get home each day at lunch time, (when the mail comes) so when he arrives, I can be there within a very short period of time. I will barely have time to acclimate him before I have to leave to come back to work. I am trying to work out the planning, details of that problem, too. I know it seems like I worry alot, but I will do anything for the well being of my pets!
Old 08-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #19 
farmgirl598

I was thinking of getting a corner aquarium to go between my other two betta tanks. They are on opposite sides of a corner bookcase, and the triangular part left in the middle between the two tanks now holds a lamp. It would be neat looking to have a corner tank where the lamp is now, but it would put all the tanks close enough for the bettas to see one another. I guess that would not be good
Old 08-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #20 
Shadyr

I have two males in a divided bookcase tank. They can see each other through the mesh, and after the first day where everyone was a little excited to meet each other, they have pretty much just ignored each other. I think the look on Ghost's face as he rests on his banana plant says a lot about their attitude.

Name:  doubles1280.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  59.1 KB

...now it might be totally different if the barrier were not there, but familiarity seems to have engendered indifference. Probably will for your guys too.

PS: If you can't tell already, if I can illustrate with a picture....I will!