Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #1 
a123andpoof

White fuzz on tail

The other day Blurp was in a fight with the female on the other side. (he is now no longer in the tank.) and I have started to notice some white fuzz on his tail. Not sure what it is exactly.

His tank size is 2.5g
temp is 76
food is bloodworms and new life
water condioner prime
water changes 1 100% and 1 50% each week

He has been in the 2 gallon for about 2 1/2 days now. I added 1 tsp of aquarium salt to help with the tears I had noticed a tiny bit of the fuzz and was hoping that it would get rid of it so far it hasn't.
He is around 3-4 years old, already isn't doing so great so I would like to stress him out the least possible. Thanks for any help.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #2 
Pogthefish

I think that sounds like fungus D: I would get some sort of anti-fungal meds and see if that doesn't do the trick. Raise the tank temp to 84 aswell.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #3 
a123andpoof

Whats a good anti-fungal med? And can I buy it at petsmart? Also I only have a preset heater and as of right now cant afford a different one. The one that may have worked is in my babies tank right now. And I do not want to stress him/her out.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #4 
Pogthefish

Is it the aqueon one? Thats pretty bad quality, both of mine broke after a year. jsyk

anyway, I never have used antifungal meds before becauce I have a uv sanitizer and qt religiously, lol, so I would ask someone else.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #5 
a123andpoof

No its the tetra. I like it for my smaller tanks, but my larger ones not so much. But my fish dont mind the temp and are all happy. Know anyone else I could ask?
Old 08-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #6 
Myates

Don't raise the temp in the water... warm water will cause the fungus to spread/grow quicker. In fact, where you normally keep it (76) is what you are aiming for.. even down to 74. Pog, please refer to the two treatment links on the stickies up top to double check what you are recommending.. they were created by a vet and is pretty accurate on what medications to try if the initial salt treatments don't work.

Start with 1 tsp of AQ salt, daily 100% water changes, readding in the salt each time (make sure to dissolve the salt first).. I would say if by the 6th day it hasn't gotten better (or if it gets worse prior to then) you will want to stop with the AQ salt and start on medications- either Fungus Eliminator by Jungle, API Erythromycin, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn II. One of those will do the trick.. I haven't personally used any of them, but I have recommended the Maracyn many times over the last year with good results from people who have needed to use it.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #7 
a123andpoof

Okay thanks. Will do the water change, and add fresh salt. Hopefully this works!
Old 08-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #8 
Myates

Keep us posted.. if caught early it shouldn't be too hard to get rid of the fungus, just have to stay on top of it. Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #9 
a123andpoof

Thanks. I just finished doing water changes, and his water is heating up. Put the salt in, and stress coat +.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #10 
Aus

The fuzz is probably a true fungus - not the 'fungus' (bacterial) a lot of medications refer to in their product name. If it's true fungus, antibiotics won't help much.. you'd need a proper antifungal rather than antibiotic.

Good news is that saprolegnia (fungal fin fuzzies) can be easily cured by salt in early stages - they love to grow on dead skin, rather than living flesh like bacterial "fungus" so are probably snacking on the edges of the wounded fins.

If they return after a week or more in salt, or the fins look rotty at all, then the meds listed above for "fungus" would be a good idea as sapro also is opportunistic in eating the remains of bacterial infections. (yuck.. )

IAL is -great- for preventing and minimising true fungus in early stages, see if you can't a leaf or two to add to that salt treatment.

Last edited by Aus; 08-15-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote