Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #1 
cataze

Smile Yuki, my new white big earred HM!

I have to admit, when I went to my LFS I wasn't sure I was ready to take a betta home. And I was definitely thinking I would be getting another colourful boy. But this little guy was so cute, flapping his big ears at me. He was the only one that would not only flare at me, but look at my face...even as I was looking at the other bettas there!

The pics I have aren't the best...they were in extremely low light because I had just moved him over to his QT. I will try and get some better pics in the next couple of days!

As for his name...Yuki means snow in Japanese. My 6 year old son wanted to name him Gastonium (no idea where he got that from...he made it up...sounds like a radioactive isotope or something!). I told him that it was a bit big for a first name, but perfect for a middle name! All I could think of was what his nickname would end up being...Gassy or something! LOL Then my 7 year old son wanted to contribute a middle name, so he came up with Pengi...because he likes Sidney Crosby from the Pittsburgh Penguins, and Penguins have white on them. So his full name is Yuki Gastonium Pengi...but I'm just gonna call him Yuki!

Let me know what you think of my new boy!!!

cataze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #2 
DragonFish

Awwwww, look at those big ears and that cute face!! xD <3 SUCH an adorable boy~
Lol, and I love his full name XD Ah, kids.....I can only imagine what mine would be named if I let my 8 year old brother have a say.....
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #3 
katrina89

he is friggen adorable!
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #4 
MollyJean

He's just awesome! So much white o.o

My 10 year old wants to name every fish we get Berry... The red boy we got this morning.. Blood Berry.. Of course that's nothing compared to Gastonium, lol! Kids are so strange!
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #5 
Koda

He's so pretty! Yuki is a nice name, but "Pengi" would be a cute as a first name too.

Also I just have to say, boooo Penguins (I'm a Caps fan ;p)
Koda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #6 
cataze

Thanks everyone! I was instantly in love with him when I saw him! I never thought I would have a pure white betta!

And Koda, we're actually Leafs fans (since I was a baby!)...we're not Penguins fans, Zander just likes Crosby. I definitely like the Caps better than Pittsburgh!
Old 08-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #7 
BETTACHKALOVE

OMG it my dream to have betta like that. I never saw betta like that in any of the stores. I was going to buy it from breeder but end up with 8 bettas rescued from the store and i am not allowed to buy more bettas.

Are you first time owner? Do you have more bettas? Do you have questions on water changes? Not sure how big is your tank. Sorry for all those questions...just though if you might need any help:)
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #8 
TuckerLove

I totally would have taken him home as well. He is just to fancy and cute :) I want one with big ears.
TuckerLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #9 
cataze

Hi BETTACHKALOVE!

Thanks for the compliments! I'm lucky to have found him at my LFS! I've never seen pure white bettas there, let alone one with big ears!!!

This is my second betta. My first one, Akira (my avatar) just passed away.

Yuki is in my 3G QT (critter keeper) right now. In the meantime, I'm getting my 20G cleaned up after Akira's death and ready for my new guy.

Thanks for offering help. That's what I love about this forum!
Old 08-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #10 
BETTACHKALOVE

Just a few tips :)

For 3 gall i would do 1-50% and 1-100% water changes a week.

For 20 gall i would really do 50% water changes a weekly with gravel siphoning. Filter media swish/wash in the old water WITH a water change.

Make sure food don't sink to the bottom because it will decompose in 72 hrs and contaminate the water.

Good luck!
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote