Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #1 
megaredize

Question My First Rescue!

Got a new betta today and im calling him my rescue because he is sooo small and his cup was sooo dirty. i think i have seen worse well i know i have seen worse but he was still in bad shape. he was laying at the bottom of the cup. moved a bit when i picked him up to look at him. went up for air and i thought he had a chance if i got him. think hes been at the store for awhile. poor little dude. His name is bluey. he is laying at the bottom of the tank i have. its only 1 gallon or a little more. its this little tank i bought at walmart awhile ago. figured its good for him to heal up in and grow in. i already had gravel and a little heater and a thermometer thankfully.

My question is i plan on doing daily partial water changes. do i still have to do a full clean once a week? i know this can be stressful. all my other bettas are in cycled tanks lol so i have no idea how to take care of one that is without a filter.

another questions should i add aquarium salt? i think hes jsut stressed and needs to be left alone. he doesnt have fin rot or ammonia burns at least not that i can see... yet...

This video is much better than the pics. You will get too see how he is behaving better http://youtu.be/KxuuXUtLanY

look how skinny he is :(. i put him in the bucket before the tank because i did not want any of his blue waste water coming with him

tank

megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

He is cute how lucky he is that you brought him today ! So tiny and Perseus was about that size when my daughter got him for me maybe a little bigger and I was looking at him today thinking how bigger he has is now. I have had him 3 months, and he was in a half gallon starter Betta kit for a week till his 5 gallon tank I ordered on line got here. What I did was use a turkey baster to do a water change with and I just left him in there when I did the bigger change with just enough water to cover him. So I would do 50 percent everyday and twice that week I did like 90 percent. This worked very well with Perseus and to this day he loves water changes they have never stressed him out.

Good luck with the little adorable guy love his colors and looking forward to seeing more of him !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #3 
megaredize

ty i was thinking of using some airline tubing as a siphon for it since that tubing will be small and not take out so much water as quickly as a regular siphon. i just didnt know if i need to do any 100% changes with full clean. im not sure how long he will be stuck im here.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #4 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Your welcome and that is a great idea ! I wonder if you could train him to swim into a cup when or if you need to do 100 percent water changes, I have read on here that some people have done that it might be worth a try. His veil tail is really long to be so little, very pretty little guy, beautiful colors !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:20 AM   #5 
BettaQi

When I had the boys I trained them to Swim into the cup using a pellet.
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #6 
megaredize

Update on Bluey

I did a water change and found a small fake plant that had a piece that fell off. so i put it in the tank and have the piece rigged so its close to the surface if he wants to go up. hes still bottom sitting but swims around more often. also made another video that shows how he swims.
heres the vid link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOsCBJOmE74

Pic of the tank

the piece at the surface

and Bluey
Old 08-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #7 
lelei

What size is your tank, I think it would be best to treat him in a hospital size tank,..he looks frail, and would benefit from a smaller space for the time being, are you using some AQ salt, I hope he gets better soon, it does take time, but 100% water changes are the way to go, I have been doing it that way, but with a smaller amount of water, Kritter keepers work great for Hospital tanks, easier to clean, and maintain..you could practice getting him in a small cup, to clean the whole tank..a cupcake liner cup works well..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #8 
megaredize

is only 1 gallon or 1.5 max its a small penn plax thingy lol it basically like a kirtter keeper but defferent brand. i still have the cup he came in so i can put him in there. and no i havent put in AQ salt in because everything from here and another forum is telling me dont cause his colour looks good and stuff. we dont know whats wrong with hi mother than hes small and was in a dirty cup at the store
Old 08-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #9 
lelei

Oh boy..I just reread yur post, that is a 1 gal..hmm..looks bigger..I congratulate you on your rescue..If your not using the salt, I would try the AQ salt, and some stress coat..He will come around..keep trying with food as well, if he isnt eating, that is the reason he is skinny..when he starts eating, and gets some energy..he will want to move more..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #10 
megaredize

i know hes soo small it makes the tank look bigger. im going to try to feed him soon. when he does swim he looks good but then he goes back. otheres have said he could be weak from not being used to a bigger tank. who knows how long he was in the cup