Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #1 
otter

Question Betta Sorority

Hello everyone

I am wanting to start a sorority, but have never before!

If people could give me tips that would be great!

This is what I am planning on doing (tell me if its wrong)

I am getting a 20 gallon and then I am going to plant it very nicely and then I am going to make lots of hiding places for the girls.

Then I am going to get 6 fish around the same size so they don't fight.

Is there anything super important that I am missing?
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You could add some otos or corries add some fake or live plants some live food make sure you have a lid I would use 5.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #3 
TheShadyBird

I would definitely add some bottom feeder type fish :] For a 20 gal, 6 girls would have plenty of room, I've got the same amount in a ten gal, and they've been doing wonderfully. One thing I did when starting my sorority was to buy some Zebra Danios, about four, to put a little extra motion in my tank and distract my girls from each other. A simple tip to help prevent aggression is to buy girls of different colors: imagine two girls wearing the same dress at homecoming-- CATFIGHT. My last bit of advice is to be patient through the first week or two- there almost certainly will be fin-nipping as they establish the pecking order. Their fins will grow back, and it should ease up after a bit, and you should only really worry if the nipping gets serious enough that one of your girls is having trouble swimming.
Also, Petco has some of the prettiest girls :3
TheShadyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #4 
otter

I found this awesome dragonscale at petsmart.. though she may not be there anymore. I wish we had petco. for some reason I like them better. I feel so bad for the fish in petsmart though. they dye the water dark blue and its so sad.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #5 
bettaboytroy

I had a 10 gallon sorority. When the tank was ready with lots of hiding places I got my 6 females ready and floated them in the tank. I released them 1 at a time to what I assumed were the least aggressive fish to the most aggressive. I was really nervous and excited. I tried to get various colors and tail types for variety. They all got along pretty well until I put in the last one. I kind of expected something when the released fish were all gathered around looking at her in her floating container. Of these 6 fish 2 were dark purple and I believe they were sisters. These were the 2 that had problems (makes me wonder about that color thing mentioned earlier in the thread). They fought to the point of knocking off scales and they would lock jaws together. I couldn't even get them apart with a net. Needless to say I took one of them out and she had to live by herself.

I assumed that each fish would set up residence in it's own little corner of the tank and would defend it's area. Not so. The 5 that got along often would cluster together with no agression. At feeding time they were like a litter of puppies all coming up to the same spot for food.

My advice from my experience:
1. Lots of hiding places
2. Watch for agression. A little bit is normal (nipping/chasing) but remove a fish if it is slamming into another or locking jaws.
3. It really is going to come down to the individual fish you have. Some fish are just trouble makers.
4. Dedicate a day to keep a close watch on whats happening in the tank. Have a backup plan for aggressive fish.
5. It was not as hard or scary as I thought it would be.
6.Enjoy! A small group of females are so pretty together.
bettaboytroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #6 
otter

Thanks for the tips! I am super exited. I found a really nice 30 gallon and I think I'm going to get it. Oh hey can someone actually tell me if this is a good deal?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/for/3193578924.html

I was going to haggle a bit so I could get it for 80
Old 08-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #7 
TheShadyBird

:3 @ bettaboytroy True dat on the puppy comparison! My girls swim right up to where I am if I'm close to the tank, vying for my attention :"3

And to otter, after the tank is set up, I definitely agree with bettaboytroy on setting aside a day to watch your girls- not only to watch for aggression, but to see how the pecking order has arranged itself. It takes a while to figure out, but it'll really help you get to know your girls. Watching mine at the end of the day is one of my favorite things :]
TheShadyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #8 
otter

Aw this is going to be so much fun!
Oh my god by half moon does that little puppy thing and it looks like hes wagging his tail is so cute and he does this little gulpy thing with his mouth its so cute
Old 08-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #9 
bettaboytroy

I personally would go with a tank that is longer than deeper for betta's. I get my tanks at yard sales and don't think I ever paid more than $20 for them (5 to 20 gallons). Usually people have a hard time getting rid of tanks and when it comes down to it they just want it to leave and stop taking up space. Of course if this is your ideal tank don't pass it up (maybe compare it to a new tank at a petstore?). The stand is definately a plus. If I myself was going to spend $80 to $90 on a tank I think I would spend even a little more and get it all new. I was once offered a 50 gallon with everything included for $50.00. If you do decide on it maybe ask if they will take $50.00. You can always let them haggle you up to $80.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #10 
bettaboytroy

[quote=TheShadyBird;1201140]:3 @ bettaboytroy True dat on the puppy comparison! My girls swim right up to where I am if I'm close to the tank, vying for my attention :"3

They'll even nibble on your finger and let you touch them.