Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #21 
cjconcepcion

oh i dont know if someone already mentioned this but add them all in there at the same time, so all the fighting gets over with at one time, if you do decide to add another in the future they will have to establish their pecking order all over again
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #22 
shellieca
Reference Team

+1 on everything advised so far. LOTS of Plants real or silk, LOTS of hidey holes. Have a back up plan in case it doesn't work. Don't panic though, it can take a week or two for them to settle down, just keep checking them each day to see if things are getting better or worse. Also, make sure you read up on cycling a tank since yours will be newly set up, you'll have to decide on a fish IN or fish LESS cycle. If you go fish IN, there are going to be LOTS of water changes & you will need to test the water daily to keep it safe for your girls.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #23 
teeneythebetta

And be sure to quarantine everybody for 2 + weeks to prevent outbreak of disease/illness
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #24 
otter

Thanks! I think I'm going to do a fishless.. I bought a really nice bow front 26 gallon because the one from craigslist got bought I was so sad. I still have to buy some sand or gravel and some bubbly rocks I love those and plants. I have 100$ left I really hope I can swing it!

But my little sister fell in love with this little white girl at petsmart so I had to buy her for her and shes so small. Is size a big problem? I mean one of my girls is huge because Ive had her for a year and shes gotten really big compared to the ones they sell at petsmart and the white girl.

but I don't want her to beat up all the other girls, especially because shes gotten really tough after putting her in a tank with my gourami.
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #25 
teeneythebetta

Size can be a problem sometimes, and other times it doesnt matter. I guess it just depends on the individuals.

Most on the forum say the little ones tend to pick on the bigger ones. Awhile ago I attempted a sorority, and my current girl, Teeney, was bigger than the other girls. She was alpha and picked on the little girls.

So it just depends.. :S
Old 08-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #26 
TheShadyBird

I had two girls already when I decided to start a Sorority, and they were not only huge compared to the other girls, but one, Sini, had already proved herself to be a really aggressive female, which made me really anxious! However, when I put them all together, Sini ended up third or fourth down in the order without much fighting, and Tweak, my lovely red who is a full two inches long and has a minor swim bladder defect that causes her to swim sideways/upsidedown/very weirdly quite often, ended up as queen~! So as far as size goes, I say it certainly depends on the individual :]
TheShadyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #27 
otter

thanks guys :D I am super exited
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #28 
bettarox4

I too want to start a betta sorority, what would you say is the best way to quarrentine? I have seen stuff about using jars, would that work?
bettarox4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:52 PM   #29 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettarox4 View Post
I too want to start a betta sorority, what would you say is the best way to quarrentine? I have seen stuff about using jars, would that work?
jars are okay but it is best to have a way to heat them to keep them around 80* F. I think if you got a tub and a submersible adjustable heater, you could fill up the tub with some water and leave the jars in the tub. So they will stay at the proper temperature... for 2 weeks or more
Old 08-31-2012, 04:59 PM   #30 
bettarox4

Thanks soooo much!!!!!!
bettarox4 is offline   Reply With Quote