Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #1 
twin

fish acts like it is on speed

darts and then settles on top of water or bottom of tank, eats like crazy.
Has jerky swimming not smooth like my other Bettas
twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #2 
PaulO

Admittedly I am not the most experienced person to answer this but are you sure its not just stress from a new environment? Just a few questions like did you acclimate him to the temp and and slowly cycle in tank water to cup water? Little things like this help bettas be more calm when introduced into a new environment. I found if a betta is still in its cup for a water change or tank cleaning and is stressing out a small pellet or half of one helps it calm down. Just give your fish a few days and if nothing changes just keep putting updates on the forum. Good Luck!! :)
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #3 
twin

no, I don't think so....he seems like he is always hungry....he doesn't look like he did when I first bought him either....his fins are all stringy looking and he swims fast and darts and shakes or he is at the top of the bowl just resting there. he also developed these red tiny little balls on the ends of his bottom stringy fins...and a red streak on his bottom fin.
Now my ohter betta is acting strange, not to interested in eating, stays at the top or bottom of his bowl, his fins are all chewed looking and where it used to be white is now pink....not sure what is going on so they are both in smaller bowls and I did do 100% water changes the last two days and will wait until Sunday to do another one. I put stresscoat in their water and a little sea salt that I had from the kitchen.
Not sure what else to do at this point...the white one who acts like he is on speed has always darted around since the day I got him, I just figured he was young and had a lot of energy. But he looks terrible now.
and the marble one who just sits at the bottom or on top of his water has been like that since I got these two fish about a month ago. But now he looks terrible too with his fins all chewed looking. : (
Old 08-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #4 
Alcemistnv

Please answer these :)
Also, can you post a pic?

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #5 
twin

darts, shakes, looking stringy, or sits at top of bowl

before and now pictures
only had him a month. As you can see his fins are all stringy looking and red dots on bottom ends of fin.
3 gallon, with filter, no heater but house is kept at 77-78` he eats flakes twice a day. He doesn't like the pellets.

I have another marble betta who is not acting good also. stays at the bottom or top of his bowl, not real hungry. chewed looking fins. He is in a 1 1/2 gallon bowl, no filter but air hose, house is kept at 77-78` he likes the pellets and I feed him twice a day also when he wants to eat.

These two Bettas were bought about the same time last month.

I have another Betta and he is doing just fine. He was bought in January of this year.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #6 
Alcemistnv

It looks like your betta is a crown tail, which could explain the "strings" unless he was originally a veil tail.

It could be that if the fin is actually tattered/missing chunks of it, it's because of tail biting which occurs when the betta becomes bored or stressed.

Also, how often do you do tank cleanings for the two tanks?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #7 
Alcemistnv

Also, which is the befre and after pic?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #8 
twin

he is a crown dragon scale betta and the before pic is the last one. The now pic is the first one which shows the red dots on his now stringy fins. I haven't had him long enough to clean his tank.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #9 
LionCalie

Unfortunately with the room temperature at only 77-78 your tanks are too cold. Standing water is colder than the room temperature. In the summer our house is kept at those temps and I still need to use heaters. To keep the tanks at the proper tropical range (76F - 82F) the room temp would need to be a lot higher. Also heaters keep the temperature stable, which is very important.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #10 
Aus

Couple of quick questions:

1. What's your tank size and water change schedule?

2. Are you using water conditioner, and if so what brand? How old is the bottle?

If its not ammonia/nitrite or chlorine damage, this could be a very serious bacterial infection, so knowing what exposure to poor water chemistry they've had will help in figuring out what to do.

ETA: wait -- you said you'd had these fish a month and it's 'not long enough to clean his tank'? So there's been no water changes for a month?

Last edited by Aus; 08-15-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote