Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #11 
twin

I've had the two that are not well for about a month...they have been in small 1 - 1 1/2 gallon bowls since I noticed they started looking bad. So for about a week to a week and a half now...
I use API STRESS COAT+ and also saw where to add some sea salt so I used that accordingly. My other Betta I've had since January is using the same water and conditioner and he is fine.
twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:27 PM   #12 
Alcemistnv

a tank that size needs to be changed either 2 or 3 times a WEEK. :)

Unfortunately, if you wait too long, your fish will die sooner than you think.

You should be doing at LEAS 1 100% and 1 50% change a week for the tanks.

It could be possible the ammonia or other chemicals in the water are affecting them.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #13 
twin

I am doing just that since I had to move them to a smaller bowl since they are sick I didn't want to be having to empty a 3 gallon tank twice a week.
I'm going to try the salt for 10 days and see if that helps along with the water change and stress coat. Hopefully they will get better and I can move them back to their larger tanks.
I think I'm stressed out at this point. No one seems to know why the crown tail has the red droplets of blood on his fins and the fins are stringy now... : (
I forgot to add. I've had Bettas for 14 years now and never ran across this problem.
Thanks for your help.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #14 
Alcemistnv

It could be that the red drops are either coloring OR ammonia burns.

And to be honest, I have to empty a 5 gallon twice a week. If it means life or death for my fish, I'll do it.

It could be possible to just do partial water changes, but I do believe that unless you have a filter, you need to do the water changes...
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:55 PM   #15 
FiShFiShFiShFiSh

Please fill out the form that Alcemistnv posted :) It would really help some of the members of the forum to better understand what is wrong with your betta.
FiShFiShFiShFiSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:13 AM   #16 
Aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Couple of quick questions:

1. What's your tank size and water change schedule?

2. Are you using water conditioner, and if so what brand? How old is the bottle?

If its not ammonia/nitrite or chlorine damage, this could be a very serious bacterial infection, so knowing what exposure to poor water chemistry they've had will help in figuring out what to do.

ETA: wait -- you said you'd had these fish a month and it's 'not long enough to clean his tank'? So there's been no water changes for a month?

If you can answer the questions above clearly, please? I don't know what to advise you if I don't know how the fish have been living for the past month or so.

I am not going to yell at you about water changes (I may advise more of them later, however...) -- I just want to figure out if it's ammonia poisoning or a nasty bacterial infection so I can at least tell you what I'd do in this situation.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #17 
LionCalie

Using salt is a bit pointless if the fish are chilled. I think your biggest priority at this point should be keeping their water very clean, getting two small heaters, and don't forget a thermometer. It can be amazing how much Bettas improve by just being in warm water, since they are tropical. Then we can get to the root of the problem, like Aus mentioned.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:32 AM   #18 
Aus

My main concern is that this could be some sort of septicemia, the bloody looking fin-ends and red streaks are never a good sign.. things could go downhill very quickly for both.

I'm very tempted to recommend a strong antibiotic immediately, but I'd really like to know how they're doing in a little salt -- which can help detoxify severe chlorine or nitrite illness.

Having the temp a little low is kind of okay, imo, for the moment - if it is bacteria, that'll help slow its progress a bit.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #19 
twin

Both fish r looking better this morning. : )
When I had them in the 3 gallon tank I did have a filter going.
But now I will invest in a small heater.
Thanks everyone for all your advise. : )
Old 08-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #20 
Aus

No worries!

The fact they're doing better in cleaner water and a little salt tells me it was probably ammonia and/or nitrite poisoning. You may wish to increase your water changes by a LOT, there's some really good advice about that in the Basic Care stickies here at the top of the care forum.

Keep them in salt for a week with daily or every other day water changes if you can, so they have a better chance to heal. Kudos for getting the heater, it'll make such a difference to how they act.

With regular clean warm water and some high protein food, they'll have the best chance of avoiding any fallout illness from exposure to dirty water.