Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #1 
labloverl

Do I want to set up my 5 gallon? Or...

I have a 5 gallon aquarium, but the hood light does not work anymore. Walmart doesn't carry a replacement hood, so I'm kinda stuck there. I have a 10 gallon empty aquarium without a hood, but walmart does have a replacement for it. I used this for hermit crabs at one time, but never any fish. I'm sure between the various HOB filters I have and the tetra whisper 2-10i power filter, I can find one to use without having to buy one. So, all I would really need for the empty 10 gallon, is a new hood, and a heater which I would have to buy anyways since all I have is a 7w heater that is not adjustable. With the 5 gallon option, I would either have to buy a whole new aquarium plus the heater, or use the one I have without a light... unless there's some way to fix the light fixture. I'm not sure what's wrong with it, but any new bulb won't turn on.

I already have a 10 gallon set up and divided 3 ways, and I really didn't want another 10 gallon as it's pretty big.

EDIT: This is the 5 gallon I have. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aqua...Specifications

Would this hood from petsmart fit it? http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...26amp%3B+Hoods

Last edited by labloverl; 08-14-2012 at 09:40 PM. Reason: added links
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

For the 5 gallon I just set a florescent light bulb on top 10 gallon you could order a hood online.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:06 PM   #3 
Tikibirds

As long as the 5 gallon tank itself is still in tact, I would use it.
I have a 5G marineland hex but the hood/filter got busted when I drove out of Alaska this past winter. There is a crack in the tank itself but its up at the top, but I still use it. I cover it with craft mesh and since I don't have live plants, I'm not too worried about the lack of a light. Plus with 5 other tanks in my bedroom, I don't really have a place to plug in anything else.

EDIT:

Aqueon makes glass covers - I have one for my 20G long and they are fairly cheap. If they make one for 5 Gallons, that would work
http://www.amazon.com/All-Glass-Aqua.../dp/B0002AS7ZI

Last edited by Tikibirds; 08-14-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #4 
labloverl

The 5 gallon is still in tact. I just stopped using it because the light stopped working. The hood in the link I posted from petsmart is made from All-glass too, but it says it fits 5.5 gallon tanks. That's what I was questioning.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #5 
Sowman

I thing I have the exact 5g walmart tank you have (link below). the light fixture is really bad and the pin for the bulb easily breaks. If you are using the same tank as me then all you have to do is open up the light fixture and turn the bulb housing around. It's actually a double sided bulb housing and can be turned around.

If you are have a different tank then I would go the homedepot and DIY the light.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aqua...-Pets/12177653
Sowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #6 
labloverl

I'm pretty sure that it is the same tank. I got it years ago, but I'm sure it's the same. In that link, there are questions posted about the tank, and others had the same problem with the light.

THank you for telling my about the fixture. I will go try and see if this is the case!
Old 08-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #7 
labloverl

Okay, I turned the housing around and tried, and it worked! Only problem was that I couldn't get it to fit back into place this way because it wasn't shaped to fit that way. But when I tried the original side again, the bulb lit up. Both sides looked the same other than you could which side had been in use. I guess it just need to be jiggled and re-done. Thank you, Sowman!!

Sowman, mind if I ask what filter and heater you use in this tank?

Now I just need to decide which filter to use, and how to cycle it by seeding it with BB from my cycled 10 gallon.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #8 
Sowman

Glad I could help. I'm not sure what filter I use, it's whatever the kit came with. As for the heater I use I think a 5 watt heater that I pickup at PetClub.

I have a 46g tank and I always use water from that tank to setup new tanks. What you can do is once you get the new filter you can let it run for a few days in you 10g to pick up all the bacteria and then just transfer the water, rocks and filter from the 10g to the 5g tank. I would monitor the water conditions for a few more days to make sure it's okay before adding fish.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #9 
labloverl

Well, my 10 gallon is divided 3 ways and only has room for the one HOB filter (came with the kit). So if I went with a HOB filter (which my extra ones seem a bit strong for the 5 gallon) I wouldn't be able to run the filter along with the one in the 10 gallon. I do have a tetra whisper 2-10i power filter that is much softer, but I've been told that they don't really work well in cycled tanks because most of the water doesn't flow through the filter or something like that. But surely in a 5 gallon, everything was get filtered through better. I'm really not sure which one to use. Also, how would I do the gravel? Would I take some from the 10 gallon and put temporarily into the 5 gallon, or what? Would I do this a few days before a water change and then use the old 10 gallon tank water in the 5 gallon?

Last edited by labloverl; 08-15-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #10 
Sowman

In my case I have a lot of gravel in my big tank so I usually just take some from the old tank and put it in the new tank with the new gravel (I dont remove old gravel). I also dont do a water change since the water from the old tank is already cycled