Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #1 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Question Help with sand! Sand recommendations..

Hey everybody!

Just planning ahead for my 10 gallon divided tank!

I REALLY like the look of sand..its so natural and beautiful!

here's what i heard about it..are any of these true?:

-before setting up your tank, the cleaning can take HOURS
-its hard to clean with a gravel vacuum
-it needs to be stirred frequently throughout the week
-it can clog filters

If so, what filter would i need?I was thinking of double-dividing the tank, with the heater and sponge filter in the middle, a HM or CT on one side, and a plakat on the other. There would be one moss ball on each side,and possibly some live plants(I HAVE NEVER HAD LIVE PLANTS),and sand.

I have VERY HARD WATER and a HIGH PH.

Here is the type of sand i was considering:

-POOL FILTER SAND, because i heard it had bigger grain size, didn't CLOUD or CLOG filters, and still had the natural look to it without altering water chemistry and being a cheap and easy-to clean choice.

what do you think?

THANKS!!!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #2 
SpookyTooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
This depends on the sand, sometimes it can take a fair while other times it could surprise you but generally it takes a while. Some don't rinse sand, I don't know if there would be any negative effect to this other than cloudy water. Should the sand be disturbed though and it isn't rinsed thoroughly enough you'll get a little sand cloud, this can be removed via a gravel vacuum.

Definitely not, in my opinion. All you need to do is gently hover your gravel vacuum over the area you want to clean and hey presto. It'll take a little practice to determine how close to the sand you can get but sucking up a little sand while you figure it out won't hurt.

This is true. Sand can end up with gas pockets that will cause the tank to "burp", these gas pockets can contain toxic gasses. Keeping the sand moving either by poking it around, stirring it or adding Malaysian trumpet snails helps ensure no such pockets develop.

-it can clog filters
I've not seen nor heard of this but I suppose it can happen.

If so, what filter would i need?I was thinking of double-dividing the tank, with the heater and sponge filter in the middle, a HM or CT on one side, and a plakat on the other. There would be one moss ball on each side,and possibly some live plants(I HAVE NEVER HAD LIVE PLANTS),and sand.

For a filter I'd say a sponge would do you well. Sponge filters are fantastic at housing beneficial bacteria. With how well you'll be able to spot clean with your gravel vacuum you needn't really worry about too much larger particle filtration provided by canister filters. Sponge filters are very gentle.

-POOL FILTER SAND, because i heard it had bigger grain size, didn't CLOUD or CLOG filters, and still had the natural look to it without altering water chemistry and being a cheap and easy-to clean choice.

what do you think?

THANKS!!!
My answers are in bold

Last edited by SpookyTooth; 08-15-2012 at 01:59 PM.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #3 
MyRainbowBettaFish

great thanks! I appreciate the answers!

What would i stir the tank with and how often?
Old 08-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #4 
SpookyTooth

I'm not sure, I use MTS to do the work for me but I think once or twice a week, maybe at every water change you do plus an additional time would be enough. I guess you can use something long and made of plastic, maybe even get a turkey baster tube and use that.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #5 
starrlamia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
Hey everybody!

Just planning ahead for my 10 gallon divided tank!

I REALLY like the look of sand..its so natural and beautiful!

here's what i heard about it..are any of these true?:

-it can clog filters

what do you think?

THANKS!!!
before setting up your tank, the cleaning can take HOURS- you dont have to rinse it, I dont. Just be careful putting water in the tank so as to not cloud the water.
-its hard to clean with a gravel vacuum- nope you just hover over the sand and you wont suck it up.
-it needs to be stirred frequently throughout the week- it needs to be poked to release any gas build up, just get a chop stick and poke it.
-it can clog filters- i suppose it can, but if it does you have a bigger problem of how the heck you got sand high enough to get sucked into your filter to that extent lol

pool filter sand works fine, and your setup sounds good.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #6 
MyRainbowBettaFish

yay! I can't wait! Thanks Starrlamia!

I might invest in some MTS...do my ph and water hardness and set-up sound suitable for them? Edit: Might be Getting Ghost shrimp today for my 10 gal with Honeycomb!

I will go with either pool filter sand or a mix of that and play sand.

Is play sand better than pool filter sand?

Am i ok with the sponge filter?
Old 08-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #7 
starrlamia

i have hard water and my ph is usually 7.6-7.8, mts do fine in my tank. Ive been thinking about getting a few ghost shrimp for my tank!
I think type of sand is preference. Some people like one or the other. Buy a bag of both and then decide, it's pretty cheap.
Sponge filter is fine.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #8 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post
i have hard water and my ph is usually 7.6-7.8, mts do fine in my tank. Ive been thinking about getting a few ghost shrimp for my tank!
I think type of sand is preference. Some people like one or the other. Buy a bag of both and then decide, it's pretty cheap.
Sponge filter is fine.
GREAT! Thanks so much for the help, i really appreciate it!

Still trying to decide on ghost shrimp, as i am already going to Petsmart today for supplies......

heres the thread. Can you help me a little with it? I would appreciate it greatly :)
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=110782
Old 08-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #9 
MSG

Don't just buy any sand. Every store seems to have their own kind of sand. I finally found one that seems clean. I'll post a picture of it later tonight. I'm assuming this one will require the least amount of rinsing but not sure if it's available in your neck of the woods.

I'm sure if you go with a crappier brand of sand you'll be doing 10x the amount of rinsing instead of going with one that's already sifted & semi rinsed.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #10 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Don't just buy any sand. Every store seems to have their own kind of sand. I finally found one that seems clean. I'll post a picture of it later tonight. I'm assuming this one will require the least amount of rinsing but not sure if it's available in your neck of the woods.

I'm sure if you go with a crappier brand of sand you'll be doing 10x the amount of rinsing instead of going with one that's already sifted & semi rinsed.
Thanks for the advice! I would love a picture, do you know the name of the sand? If you like the look and cleanliness of it, i will just go with that sand, as my LFS have HUGE amounts of sand, so odds are i will have it :)

Tags
pool filter sand, sand