Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #1 
zebra

Questions -.-

So I impulsed adopted Hatchet. I onlyy had like $10 ... and I bought him... and a bag of rocks for an extra tank I had at home... I have no aquarium plants and I won't be getting my pay check until at least 2 weeks from now..... Is it necessary to have plants (well, I know it secures them and makes them feel better so I need to get them as soon as I can get $6) and a filter, because Hatchet and Monster are in the process of sharing a filter right now.......
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

Do you have a small coffee mug you can put in there? It would give him a place to hid for now. One of my fish is still in a 1g and only has one plant and a log in there, so he can hide. They just need something to feel secure. This is the time to be imaginative and creative..just make sure anything you use is safe for him!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #3 
Laki

You can give them a mug, flower pot or indian almond leaves to hide behind. Dollar store has relatively safe plastic plants and silk plants (in the garden and craft section). My boys are attention hogs and barely hide so I don't really have much in the way of caves. Get on ebay and purchase Indian Almond Leaves, personally I find it the best method for hiding since it's also so good for their health.
Congrats on the new fish though!! What size tank are they in? In a divided tank, I think they should get some source of cover to get away from seeing each other all the time. (but again, mine are such hogs that they're always guarding their side of the divider lol )
I would love to see pics. I never get tired of looking at bettas here on the forum!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #4 
Jupiter

On a budget, I always buy my silk plants from Michael's or any other craft store. They're much cheaper than the silk plants from pet stores (most are a dollar or under) and most of them do just fine underwater.

There are also terra cotta pots you can buy for under a dollar from Walmart or dollar stores.

As for a filter, it's not necessary. How big is his tank? Depending on how big it is you'll have to change the water yourself to keep him happy and healthy.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:53 AM   #5 
zebra

His tank is about a 1.5 gallon.
I am seriouslyy consideringg puttin a small cup or something in there for him lol...
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #6 
Laki

:) I am of the opinion that 1.5g is suitable for long term use as long as water changes are kept up to date. The dollar store near me has very small terracotta pots for like 33c. The hold in the bottom is very tiny, about a pen head in size (like a ballpoint pen). Make sure the hole in the bottom of the pot or cup you put in is small enough that you cannot fit your pinkie through it. Also, try to get a small enough cup that doesn't inhibit his swimming space. :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote